Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

I think I must need to move across the pond or something... I use a stick TX (EXZES, not Super EXZES - the previous model) and I'm the odd one here - the vast majority of racers here are using pistol transmitters.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Big Pete
[B]Louis, must people use sticks, it appears that the kids are using more of the pistol grip radios- they are cheaper and have limited programmes (well mine did!).
2 say tat kids use pistol grip controllers r pretty much veri....well,...ignorant.so u r saying tat ppl who use pistol radio r kids???...

well,in US n asia,i believe most ppl use pistol type controller,i have enough functions on my controller 2 play with,mayb u got a lower range controller.not saying KO produces sub-class controller,mayb u jus got a cheaper 1 with limited functions.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:25 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm NOT saying that only kids use pistol type radios, its just that the stick type is far more popular over here KO being the most popular-I wish I had one instead of what I use (more functions) and you are right, I did get one of the cheaper KO radios as that was all I could afford and a major step up from 27mhz no programmes!I'm NOT being ignorant, I can only go on what I see being used and most of the kids use the same radio I used to own. I am also not saying that pistol radios are cheap and nasty, like I said they are not that popular here in the UK.
Sorry for any confusion!
Pete.

Last edited by Big Pete; 10-02-2002 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

I think you got the wrong end of the stick ijnek, he was saying the kids, little people, young guys, new racers, etc. tend to use pistol grip controllers. No insult intended, it's just what happens in the UK. A lot of it's from the fact that some of the RTR cars like TC3's mostly come with pistol grip. There is also the fact that people like to have some computer functions on the tranny and there are very few mid price range stick radios at all, it's mostly either cheap £50 sets with the simple two channels and an on switch or it's £300 for a computirsed set of sticks with more functions than you know what to do with. But pistol grips have many levels of pricing, since the US and Asian market is so much bigger and pistol grip is in more demand.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Herminator!!
Pete.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Not saying anything!! I'm not here to upset people, just to gain and share info with like minded people!
Sixandeightstringer, come and join us in the UK,that is if you can put up with racing in the cold and wet!! (and thats just summer! )

BANG- sound of subject being dropped!!
Later,
Pete.

Last edited by Big Pete; 10-02-2002 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

ok,point taken.
i do know tat stick r popular in european countries,but at where i am,pistol is more popular...

guess it depends on where u r...

no offence 2 any1,...
Old 10-02-2002, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

None taken, just a misunderstanding!
Later,
Pete.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Darn....

Big Pete-too bad-I wanted to know more about sticks myself, but when it starts to get ugly about radios on a XXXS thread-yup-it is time to drop it!!!

Guys,

I am having problems rolling out on my XXXS. I race stock (27T)on small carpet tracks (~55' x 36' ) on 2.30" foams. I tried a lower rollout 1.05-ish. Car felt flat with no top speed. I went high to 1.17 and car had MORE bottom than lower rollout and gobs of top. But the motor was cookng after 5-minutes. I will try a middle rollout next, but would like to know what you guys have found.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 10-02-2002, 07:31 AM
Tech Initiate

rayhuang, ask away.... it just got a bit ugly, but its OK now!!
Pete
Old 10-02-2002, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I wonder if a stick radio has any inherent advantages over a pistol? I ask because when I used to play a lot of racing sims, it seemed that people using joy sticks could turn faster laps than people with steering wheels and pedals.

An RC car is very similar to a PC sim if you ask me!!! I just wonder if by moving the steering via a very short left to righ throw with your thumb would make you any faster than grasping a steering wheel with 5 fingers. It seems you could be more accurate and supple with steering unputs with a stick than a wheel. Just my thoughts. I think it's weird to drive a car with two sticks instead of a wheel but, I've never tried it!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

pistol grip is the way to go for r/c.
sticks tend to be more pupolar on the other side of the planet.

I'm a right hander, yet I drive better with my pistol grip radio setup for the left hander. throttle response is way smoother.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

around where i live everyone except a couple of novice drivers use a wheel radio. i found it was much easier with the wheel radio though if i rested the stick controller on the bar and used both my thumb and index finger the sticks wasnt so bad. some of the best drivers in the world use sticks though so they cant be too bad
Old 10-02-2002, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Pete, I nearly got a Super Exzes second hand for £70, boxed including RX but it was already sold. I got my 3VC second hand over the net from someone called Luke Cheater It was £150 including TX batts, charger, crystals and PCM receiver and in perfect condition
I tried pistol style but found it difficult to change after using sticks for quite a while.

Does anyone think a one-way would help me on fairly tight tracks, plenty of hair-pins and sweepers? I hardly ever use the brakes and have little to no drag brake set up. I've found an overdriven set-up to work best, what would an overdriven one-way diff do to the handling?
Thanks
Old 10-02-2002, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

I just wonder if by moving the steering via a very short left to righ throw with your thumb would make you any faster than grasping a steering wheel with 5 fingers. It seems you could be more accurate and supple with steering unputs with a stick than a wheel. Just my thoughts.
And perceptive thoughts at that. That is how I feel about my stick radio. Many stick radio users also tout far better throttle control.

I use sticks mostly because almost every car I've ever owned since the late 70's through the 80's has come with a twin-stick radio (toys on up to hobby-level RTRs.) I'm so used to controlling the car with sticks that the wheel radio just isn't comfortable and doesn't feel as natural. I do like the consistency of sticks - the positioning on a stick is the same every time, whereas on a wheel if your grip is slightly different you have to adjust your "feel" for where the steering rate falls. Also, there is far less muscular effort involved in driving with my two thumbs rather than with my whole right forearm, wrist and hand and my left hand grip.

Really, just as the argument for a Losi vs. an Associated vs. a Schumacher vs. a (insert brand here) goes, it all comes down to personal preference. I drive better with a stick radio, so I use a stick radio. My teammates all drive better with pistol radios, so they drive with pistols. Sticks aren't better, they're better for me. Which is why the comment:
pistol grip is the way to go for r/c.
...should have been preceded with an "IMHO."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.