Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

body wraps anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a question about wraps. When I do MX graphics, I apply windex to the plastics and back of the graphics. Then I put the graphic on the plastic and workout all the windex and use a hair dryer and then heatgun to bake them on. I have done a few like this and they have never came off or had problems, not even with a powerwasher. Anyway, can I do a body wrap like this?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff_ellis_9
clueless? dont think so. I just think 50 bucks is alot to pay for a vinyl decal. I will Krylon my body before I pay that much.

Get what you pay for? Well I think the Rev body wraps are very nice looking. You can also customize your color scheme as well. All for $25 with free shipping. I would rather get that and use the other $25 for some upgrade parts.

just my .02, not trying to bash. seeing as though you are sponsored by them, or possibly the owner of fastlane....
Chad`s wraps can be made into any design and colors YOU come up with not certain designs you have to pick from and just change colors .

After looking at Revs wraps it is worth the extra $25 for the fine detail Chad can do .

RacerScott , Yes , that is exactly how I put the body wraps on .

Last edited by Briguy; 05-18-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I ran upgrade wraps all last year. They look great out onthe track and are not that difficult to apply. My 6th wrap came out much better than my 1st. But if you take your time they go on nicely. personally I don't use any windex I just take my time and apply them from the top down. I always start with the trim around the windows and then do one side at a time workng my way down. Last piece I pit on is the roof or hood. I had one body that I did t paint the underside and it holds up fine. That got me started on keeping the bed of the 2.0 truck clear looks cool. Wraps are great but you do get what you pay for. Unless you drive in a demo derby like it is around here they hold up great.

Last edited by Frank L; 05-18-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well I think all this boils down to trial and error. I like the looks of Rev wraps, they are cheap, so I will try that first. See how easy it is to apply, how durable it is, how long it lasts, etc. Then, if it dont hold up well, may look into stepping up to the fastlane. As far as fine detail, I could care less, I just local club race, I dont go to big national races or anything. All I see going around the track is a blurr. So fine detail wont matter. To me its going to be durability and how long it actually lasts.

New to they hobby? Your right, I am new to the hobby. Thats why I have posted this thread, to find out about body wraps. I understand you guys are telling me to skip the cheaper stuff and go on to top end quality, and thats probably right. But fastlane wraps may be what you guys need, for the type of racing you do, but maybe for me a $25 Rev will suite me just fine. So yea, im new to the hobby, I have driven r/c's all my life though, but just recently getting into nitro and racing. But im trying to learn here, dont really think I deserve to be called clueless.....

For instance, people have told me before that I need to rid my Losi starter box and get a more expensive/quality box, such as a Ofna. But for me, all I drive and probably will ever drive is a Losi 8ight, and my Losi starter box has been starting my buggy for over a year now, still doing fine. So thats all I need.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well I think all this boils down to trial and error. I like the looks of Rev wraps, they are cheap, so I will try that first. See how easy it is to apply, how durable it is, how long it lasts, etc. Then, if it dont hold up well, may look into stepping up to the fastlane. As far as fine detail, I could care less, I just local club race, I dont go to big national races or anything. All I see going around the track is a blurr. So fine detail wont matter. To me its going to be durability and how long it actually lasts.

New to they hobby? Your right, I am new to the hobby. Thats why I have posted this thread, to find out about body wraps. I understand you guys are telling me to skip the cheaper stuff and go on to top end quality, and thats probably right. But fastlane wraps may be what you guys need, for the type of racing you do, but maybe for me a $25 Rev will suite me just fine. So yea, im new to the hobby, I have driven r/c's all my life though, but just recently getting into nitro and racing. But im trying to learn here, dont really think I deserve to be called clueless.....

For instance, people have told me before that I need to rid my Losi starter box and get a more expensive/quality box, such as a Ofna. But for me, all I drive and probably will ever drive is a Losi 8ight, and my Losi starter box has been starting my buggy for over a year now, still doing fine. So thats all I need.
I just got several wraps (body, 2 wing, starter box, fuel bottle, glow starter and radio) from REV-RV thanks to Hambone's recommendation and they look great. Lee @ rev-rc is super helpful and the stuff looks amazing. Once I get a body to put the wrap on I will snap a pic with everything on. I have my starter box, radio and glow starter done already and they look great and the vinyl feels strong. I don't know what thickness it is compared to the other guys but I'll be able to compare soon.

That said, Chad is also great to work with and he obviously does a lot of wraps for guys on here.

Putting the wrap on can be a little intimidating your first time. I did the soapy water method on my first wrap (from Chad) and it did make things easier to move around. I probably won't use that method this time because I have done it before. I didn't paint my other body either. Having a heat gun will help but don't overdo it or the vinyl will stretch (lessons learned).
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

thanks jared, yea please do post up pictures when you get it on the body. I am awaiting for a email from Rev-rc for some sample pictures. I will definiatly be trying these out! Post them on this thread
Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

But im trying to learn here, dont really think I deserve to be called clueless.....

This is why you were called clueless -
49.99 for a wrap is price gauging, what a rip off
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ive had wraps from Fast Lane Graphix for Buggy and Truggy, both held up great. They have a color chart so you can see what the wrap design looks like with your colors, which makes picking your colors a little easier.

Here is the website if you wanna check it out

http://shop.fastlanegear.com/
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

i just got a upgrade wrap for my buggy, radio, and fuel bottle, and i like it really well so far. i can tell already its wwaaaayyy more durable than paint. ill continue to buy them. i like them a lot better than paint. and they look really good too. i thought it was going to be a pain to install them but it was really easy i thought.. i didnt use windex i was afraid of it ruining the sticky. just use a heat gun and you can move it around a little.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Not going to get into a pissing contest because I've never owned or seen (or at least if I did see one it wasn't THAT good to make me ask who the heck's wrap it was) a Fastlane wrap, but to call a guy clueless because he feels that he can get a quality wrap for $25 compared to the $50 of Fastlane in rediculous. It's OK to tell someone you think that a competitor has a quality product but to come on here as a fan boy of Fastlane and dog someone because he chooses to go with REV is childish. I'm not dogging Fastlane but give the guy a break just because he doesn't choose to run your friend or sponsors equipment.

Speaking from experience because I USE Rev's stuff, you would be MORE than happy with the product you get for $25. Sure I support REV but I'm not going to dog anyone else's stuff. Here is my Rev wrap.
Attached Thumbnails body wraps anyone?-wrap.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
Not going to get into a pissing contest because I've never owned or seen (or at least if I did see one it wasn't THAT good to make me ask who the heck's wrap it was) a Fastlane wrap, but to call a guy clueless because he feels that he can get a quality wrap for $25 compared to the $50 of Fastlane in rediculous. It's OK to tell someone you think that a competitor has a quality product but to come on here as a fan boy of Fastlane and dog someone because he chooses to go with REV is childish. I'm not dogging Fastlane but give the guy a break just because he doesn't choose to run your friend or sponsors equipment.

Speaking from experience because I USE Rev's stuff, you would be MORE than happy with the product you get for $25. Sure I support REV but I'm not going to dog anyone else's stuff. Here is my Rev wrap.
You obviously missed the point why he was called clueless .

Last edited by Briguy; 05-18-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Brandon said it all right.

thanks for the info man. I have got a few sample from Rev and so far, they look great. just getting him to do a couple more with different colors before I order.

and yes, I did say 49.99 was a bit high for a wrap. I mean c'mon, think about it. thats a pretty good bit to pay just for a wrap. sure its quality and all, but its just a wrap!!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

I have one question concerning Rev Wraps, since I took a look at their website.
Which part of the body resembles the colors you choose, when you create your own wrap? If you take the D1 buggy wrap they show on their website (yellow, black, blue) e.g.:
Which part of the body is the "Base Color"? Is it the black, yellow or the blueish part? Which one is the "Graphic Color" and which one is the "Accent Color"?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton

I also wasnt trying to start a pissing match Brandon, I never said his stuff was garbage. I did call BS on is the price gauging comment that I feel was out of line. Does he know what material we use or what it costs? Doubt it.

Rant over, I dont care who you choose.... JUST DONT CHOOSE PAINT!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by triplesix
I have one question concerning Rev Wraps, since I took a look at their website.
Which part of the body resembles the colors you choose, when you create your own wrap? If you take the D1 buggy wrap they show on their website (yellow, black, blue) e.g.:
Which part of the body is the "Base Color"? Is it the black, yellow or the blueish part? Which one is the "Graphic Color" and which one is the "Accent Color"?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
I only wanted one color changed from one of his designs so I just sent him and email and told him what I wanted. I wasn't sure what the different color locations were either. Lee was really good about sending me a proof after I send him a couple of logos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.