Wiki Posts
Search

2004 IFMAR ISTC & 1/12th On Road Worlds at Full Throttle Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Eirik
Cobra81li200,

Well, you are basically right, but running a spool requires a different setup to compensate for the lack of turn inn! Different camberlink position, Kick up and Anti Squat are the most common changes I know of.... However you will get more on power steering with a spool!!
More than a one way ? On power, I believe they have the same effect...
Old 10-29-2004, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Not quite the same, you see the spool has full drive on both front wheels and with the one way one wheel will have a different speed while cornering. This means one wheel will pull the car forward, the other wheel will just follow.....

I am not an expert on this so I could be wrong though!
I must admit that I have always been faster with a one way than a spool, but I will sure do more testing with a spool in the future!!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by David Joor
J, Mike, Croy, and the TQ guy Thanks for the coverage.
^
Old 10-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you think someone can write down the setup of the fastest guys?
It would be great!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hello guys,

I attended the race yesterday, PB'ing for Jason Ruona.

Here are some notes from the top of my mind -

Rienhard is MUCH quicker than anyone else. His car has rip for 5 solid minutes. The start of the 3Q, he dotted out on the first lap, lost his position to Masami, then caught, passed, and pulled gap on a Masami in 4-5 laps. He then had some type of car failure.

Hodapp is the best looking xray on the track - corner speed is in stock - Second biggest buzz at the track is Florida guy Jared Scott putting in solid runs. His car is working really well, and has a great chance .

The Losi cars are getting faster everytime they hit the track. Andrew Gray is up much earlier than the rest of the team, and they seem to be captializing on this. They by far are putting forthe the best team effort. Everyone is looking faster each run, esp. MF, PL, and Spash.

AE is close to getting sorted out - Mark and Barry are close to figuring it out.

Off to the track -
After Rienhard dnf'ed Q3, the race got super-tight, Billy, Daisuke(sp), Hara, Masami all very close together.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

has rhienard lost chances to tq??
Old 10-29-2004, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

Qualifying is best 4 of 6

Rheinard's DNF will be dropped if he gets in 2 good runs today. People like Barry baker have the pressure on though with only 1 finish, they have to complete all rounds today at full pace.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

No rheinard is still on for Tq in my mind. 4 out of 6 means you got to do well in 2 out of 3 each day. Considering he tqd the first 2 rounds hes still on for it!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

No, he just DNF'd round 3. There is still three more rounds, and 4 out of total 6 rounds count.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Andy M
Qualifying is best 4 of 6

Rheinard's DNF will be dropped if he gets in 2 good runs today. People like Barry baker have the pressure on though with only 1 finish, they have to complete all rounds today at full pace.
Same for Andy Moore, David Spashett, Chris Grainger, Chris Tosolini, and a lot of other drivers...
Old 10-29-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by SirSpeedy
Hello guys,

I attended the race yesterday, PB'ing for Jason Ruona.

Here are some notes from the top of my mind -

Rienhard is MUCH quicker than anyone else. His car has rip for 5 solid minutes. The start of the 3Q, he dotted out on the first lap, lost his position to Masami, then caught, passed, and pulled gap on a Masami in 4-5 laps. He then had some type of car failure.

Hodapp is the best looking xray on the track - corner speed is in stock - Second biggest buzz at the track is Florida guy Jared Scott putting in solid runs. His car is working really well, and has a great chance .

The Losi cars are getting faster everytime they hit the track. Andrew Gray is up much earlier than the rest of the team, and they seem to be captializing on this. They by far are putting forthe the best team effort. Everyone is looking faster each run, esp. MF, PL, and Spash.

AE is close to getting sorted out - Mark and Barry are close to figuring it out.

Off to the track -
After Rienhard dnf'ed Q3, the race got super-tight, Billy, Daisuke(sp), Hara, Masami all very close together.
According to Team Orion's report, he broke the spool, any idea what spool he's running, that's usually a part you don't break, unless it was like the TIR with delrin outdrives, they're usually plain aluminium or steel...
Old 10-29-2004, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Eirik
Not quite the same, you see the spool has full drive on both front wheels and with the one way one wheel will have a different speed while cornering. This means one wheel will pull the car forward, the other wheel will just follow.....

I am not an expert on this so I could be wrong though!
I must admit that I have always been faster with a one way than a spool, but I will sure do more testing with a spool in the future!!
Same for me, only time I used it it was horrible, but when I took it out, I realized that the setup was really out. Besides I was having troubles with interference, which bent one of my front universal (I'm using the old school steel universals on my SD as I was told the ones that comes with the car can't handle a spool).

I guess I need to try it again, but there's nothing at my local club at the moment, and with only one more club race before the start of the championship, and a car that needs setting up, I'm not taking any risks.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Whenever I have tried it, the car has been really easy to drive, just not fast enough. Still needs to be tested again though!!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

A spool and a one way will act the same under accel in that both tires will be driving at the same pace. However a one way gives more turn in because the front end is spinning free when not under accel and you have no front brakes. A spool will givr you front brakes but will offer a little less turn in because the front is still under braking power.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Spools

When looking at the Orion live coverage you can see Marcs car with delrin outdrives on the front, this leads me to think that it is a TIR spool, (I thought they were only reccommended for stock/19T!!!) also reguarding setup change i think that he is using lightweight front setup and long agressive link, maybe no spacers under rear suspension blocks all in attempt to get the car to bite when turning in, the problem when ive tried a spool is serious push entering a corner, as well as huge chatter from somthing??!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.