Search

Thunder Power 40C puffing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)
Default Thunder Power 40C puffing

Ive been running these for a while - i have 6 of them

I charge on a TP 1010C with a 210v balancer, always charge at .5 C and always store at 7.8 volts. There has been a couple weeks where i stored 2 of them full charge but now all of them are puffing - I think

How do I tell if they are really puffing. It seems like the case separated really easy. - right now it separates by about 2 -3 mm when I charge and when I run

Is this puffing?

Notice the tops of the packs dont rest flat in the pics

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...rt02/002-3.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...rt02/001-2.jpg
Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wstuart
Ive been running these for a while - i have 6 of them

I charge on a TP 1010C with a 210v balancer, always charge at .5 C and always store at 7.8 volts. There has been a couple weeks where i stored 2 of them full charge but now all of them are puffing - I think

How do I tell if they are really puffing. It seems like the case separated really easy. - right now it separates by about 2 -3 mm when I charge and when I run

Is this puffing?

Notice the tops of the packs dont rest flat in the pics

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...rt02/002-3.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...rt02/001-2.jpg
I have ThunderPower packs that have 'puffed' some too. I still run them, no problems what so ever, still good strong packs. These packs were well maintained but they have many cycles on them. I still run ThunderPower and highly recommend them.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (98%+)

thats what I thought - because these are still super strong

LOL on your signature!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

I had one puff on me before. Not sure how it happend, but I've made sure it won't happen again.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
I had one puff on me before. Not sure how it happend, but I've made sure it won't happen again.
How?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

1 of my Fantom has the similar trouble, i just charge it 1 time in days ago, with 5A 1C, then happened this.
I don't know why, but it's still usable.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
How?
Good question, Mine have just swelled over time, like I said they have a ton of cycles on them but they're still strong. My older puffed packs run no different than my newer unpuffed packs which i can only assume will do the same thing because every TP pack I have has puffed over time. I just figure I'll continue to get my moneys worth out of them until they are too puffy to strap in the car, and I'm so confident that these packs are still safe that I'd store them under my pillow when i sleep and transport them to the track in my underwear.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trerc
Good question, Mine have just swelled over time, like I said they have a ton of cycles on them but they're still strong. My older puffed packs run no different than my newer unpuffed packs which i can only assume will do the same thing because every TP pack I have has puffed over time. I just figure I'll continue to get my moneys worth out of them until they are too puffy to strap in the car, and I'm so confident that these packs are still safe that I'd store them under my pillow when i sleep and transport them to the track in my underwear.
Yeah, I have a puffed pack that keeps going strong too and I'm not really worried about it.

My question, "HOW?" was really referring to the person who said he would make sure that never happens again. How would you make sure it never happens again?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, I have a puffed pack that keeps going strong too and I'm not really worried about it.

My question, "HOW?" was really referring to the person who said he would make sure that never happens again. How would you make sure it never happens again?
Yes and I remarked that that was a "Good question". I too would like to know how one would assure that that wouldn't happen again.

I use mine per the manufacturers recommended usage procedures and never charge at more than 1c nor do I run batteries anywhere near cut voltage so I too am curious as to how one could go further and prevent this from happening. As mentioned this isn't an isolated incident with one of my TP packs, they all have done it over time.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

If anyone has any questions or problems with your Thunder Power products please contact us at 702-228-8883 or [email protected].

You can also go to http://thunderpowerrc.com/rma.html and fill out the form. We will send you back an RMA number or answer your question.

Last edited by ThunderPowerRC; 05-16-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your packs are puffing up just contact Thunder Power and they will take care of you. Excellent service!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

How?
I did a number of things to my battery. What exactly, I don't know. But since I've been paying better attention to the batteries I do have. And making sure I don't do again what I did in the past.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I did a number of things to my battery. What exactly, I don't know. But since I've been paying better attention to the batteries I do have. And making sure I don't do again what I did in the past.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ThunderPowerRC
If anyone has any questions or problems with your Thunder Power products please contact us at 702-228-8883 or [email protected].

You can also go to http://thunderpowerrc.com/rma.html and fill out the form. We will send you back an RMA number or answer your question.
I have to say that one of my packs puffed within the first year (it was going on nine months old and still under warranty), and ThunderPower took excellent care of me. It took a few weeks because they were waiting on stock but, they did send me a new battery and were very professional about the entire matter.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

i have 2 that i have run from late last year and 1 has puffed a bit but still performs well and shows its balanced to within .02v.
it runs great and hasnt had any hassles other than the slightly puffed casing.
its never been discharged below 7v in stock racing and is stored at 7.5-7.6v as well as balance charged.
Unfortunately for me i am not in the US so contacting Thunderpower is not practical as posting it back and the return postage is pricy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.