Thunder Power 40C puffing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thunder Power 40C puffing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

This is the thread i've been dreading. I have two Fantom 40C 5000's and one TP 40C 5000. I'm keeping the faith though.

I actually had a TP 40C 5000 puff on me a while back but that was from storing it fully charged for six months.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

on puffing

it is usally ok if packs puff some. its the nature of the beast
but...

i have never had a pack puff ever. and i always charge my packs at 10amps (usally 2c or greater), temp them out in the car ( yesterday in oval racing was at 110f) and leave them dead after i use them for a week or more (last nights pack sat dead 3.6v for 2 weeks)

i am not saying every one should do it like that or even try but this is my way and it works good for me. heck some of my pack have well of 120 charges on them and run extremely good
Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Excuse the irrelevance; I dont like to make new minor threads, but are these lipos any good? I see their roar approved.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Has anybody had any issues with the new 50c/100c packs. i am looking a picking up a pair and was just wondering before i buy?????
Old 09-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Rookie

My 3S 40C Thunder Power 5000mah hard pack just split today. I have 2 of these packs and this one just split and is slightly puffed.

I have submitted my RMA to Thunder Power and hope they offer a replacement as I just bought these less than 3 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails Thunder Power 40C puffing-photo.jpg   Thunder Power 40C puffing-photo2.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sac45310
My 3S 40C Thunder Power 5000mah hard pack just split today. I have 2 of these packs and this one just split and is slightly puffed.

I have submitted my RMA to Thunder Power and hope they offer a replacement as I just bought these less than 3 months ago.
TPRC produces high quality packs and stand behind their product and I'm quite sure you will be sorted out in one way or another. I believe you took the correct step in emailing them about the issue. With that being said, I really don't understand why you choose to revive a thread that's over a year old??? I'm really unclear as to what your motivation is. Normally something like this is done out of spite and I'm not sure if that's your motivation or not either. We all know that lipos can puff and separate for a variety of issues and I believe they are even more prone to this type of behavior depending on if they are over discharged, exposed to high temperatures etc. I'm not accusing you of anything here, I'm just trying to figure out the reason for this post? IMHO, I think that if you ever encounter an issue like this again give the manufacurer some time to sort things out first. Thanks for reading
Old 09-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Information is important. I googled my issue and this thread came up. Your IMHO personal attack is not appreciated nor prudent to this conversation!

I didn't even look at the dates and I was not intending to be negative. Why is it wrong to want to share information about potential problems!!

Just because a company has good services doesn't mean people shouldn't be aware of the same problem.

Obviously from your response you have some vested interest in the company.

Yes I like my packs, yes they are awesome, yes I tested them against others and they way out performed them and YES I just had one split
Open for no reason!!

For all the other people googling this issue I will post what happens with my RMA(return) so you will know what to expect from this company. I am assuming the same positive response that the rest of the thread.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:36 AM
<PsOp>

Default TP problem.

I had mine slightly puffed 3 months ago (5200 50c) and it just split open a week ago after 6min. of practice. I emailed TP still no reply.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Make sure to use the RMA (return merchandise authorization ) section. If you email it may just get stuck and not properly responded ti.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

In the past month all three if my Thunder Powers have puffed. 2 did slightly but I feel are probably still ok to run for at least practice and the third puffed very badly and I disposed of it because I felt it wasn't worth taking the chance of trusting.

Now I should bring up that I bought the batteries in March of '09 and have who knows how many runs in every type of car under the sun on them (from speed run cars with high gearing to heavy 4x4 sc trucks presently).

They are expensive but they have been great as far as I am concerned, and to me basically three summer seasons of racing along with some occasional bashing along the line (literally hundreds of recharges on each pack) with no failures until now (though even the badly puffed one still pushed the car along fine) is very reasonable.

Finances are not the same now (baby and all that) and can't afford to drop the cash on three new TP's but I will buy some more when I can, I believe they sell a quality product.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Both of my Thunder packs puffed early on, like in march. One split last month. Seems the hard case isnt like other hard cases, more like a wrap.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sac45310
Information is important. I googled my issue and this thread came up. Your IMHO personal attack is not appreciated nor prudent to this conversation.
He was not attacking you. You did not need to get defensive.

Now I catch myself gawking at my TP pack and wondering, "Is that puffed? Nah! Well it does look a little swollen. Surely not. Well maybe just a little."
Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

One thing that nobody mentions here is how often they balance their packs when they store them for long periods . I try to schedule a monthly balancing habit, while checking to see if the voltage of my packs is still at the optimal 7.5volts to 7.8volts ! I see people complaining of packs puffing after storing them for six months seemingly without periodic checks and balancing ! I still have my unpuffed Tp packs, and my slightly puffed Maxxamps packs that need periodic balancing or else they will become unusable . I wish Tp reps would chim in on this to suggest longterm balancing practices that can have a positive impact on the seemingly inevitable puffing phenomenon ! Also, what amount of puffing is normal(after years of use) ?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Rookie

My packs are rated 5c but I only charge at 2c. I use a Hyperion charger and always balance charge.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Everybody balance charges their pack, but do they balance them while in storage ? Not really ! I think that's exactly what precipitates puffing ...I think when you try to charge a pack that has been sitting down for any amount of time, you need to make sure it is balanced first and within an acceptable voltage range(3.7volts per cell to 4.2volts per cell) before you even plug the charger leads !!! Also keep in mind that you must have kept the pack balanced and within voltage range all through the storage time, or else you won't know how damaged the pack really got if the balancer signals something wrong when you decide to charge it !!! By then, it would be too late !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.