Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spectrum or Tekin ESC issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Default Spectrum or Tekin ESC issue

So today I was practicing, more of trying to figure out getting the Tekin RS set up correctly. After running one lipo pack through the car and making about 2 changes to my car and about 2 changes to the programming on the ESC through the hotwire, i put in a fresh lipo in to test a 5min run and check temps.
About 2 minutes through, coming through a short diagonal approaching a hair-pin, i go to lift off the throttle and to just tap the brakes a bit, but i get a surprise. My car glitches and instead of slowing down accelerates quickly straight into a wooden board head on.
Broke my shock tower, bumper brace, possibly bent my chassis, and completely shifted my whole motor forward out of mesh.

Im not sure what caused this. If anyone has experienced a problem similar to this, please let me know and if you solved the issue.
I bound my spectrum receiver to my m11 that morning. the voltage on my m11 was 10.6v.
Im running the Epic Duo 2 (blue can) 13.5, 203 firmware for the RS.

Help would be greatly appreciated

I know, i just realized i spelled Spektrum wrong. :P
Old 05-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I've seen this a couple of times with spektrum. I had the issue and resolved it by raising the receiver wire and removing the rubber tip on the tube. (sounds dumb, but it worked).

My buddy had a similar issue and his turned out to be a bare wire on his transponder that would ground out on the chassis and short out the signal. Power off and then power on and his would go away. After we repaired the wire, he had no more issues. Hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Well i have ran this car before, like 2 weeks ago with no problems at all. this was the first time it happening. Ive ran the spektrum for what, maybe a year or 2.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have had the identical problem.. have tried everything to fix it.. put new capacitors on the speedie even a spektrum capacitor on the RX..

Just sent the tekin back to Tekin for warranty and had to purchase another tekin RS.. had the exact setup that you had.. but with a 17.5.. this was a very expensive exercise. . as I broke a Exotek Chassis and a top deck.. always seems to glitch at the end of the straight when you tap the brakes.. and you then have no brakes or steering...

Don't know what is causing this problem but it appears there are allot of people having the same issue. I even purchased a different module just to use with tekin as I don't want this to happen again... its not the spektrum either as it works fine on all my other cars.. it just seems to be the combo..

Cheers
Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

You didn't have to reverse the throttle after you set the failsafe did you?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

i had the failsafe set to neutral. even still... the car would have not just accelerated into a wall.
mine wasnt on the back stretch, and hadnt even reached top speed.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

this has happened to me 2 times once indoors and outdoors.. cap did not fix it..

btw im running DSM2 with a sr3520 rx..
Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

mine has happened with a 3500 and a 3001 both had the fail safe set to reverse.. but the thing is no power goes to the RX so its fail safe cannot kick in.. you also have no steering.. the light on the RX goes out and what every else is being powered.

there is a way of fixing it if you want a 2nd battery. It wasn't suitable for me but I did try it just to see if it would work.. run a little 12th scale battery to the RX and disconnect the red wire from the tekin to the RX.. this seemed to stop the problem.. not a good solution though..

cheers
Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had a range problem with my spektrum, I started setting the anenna straight up as high as I could in my cars and so far seems to be helping.

Car would run away then catch itself or just not respond for a second or two, very fustrating to have radio or interferance problems.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Usually a low voltage issue to the reciever will result in the fail safe kicking in and not an acceleration...which is probably why adding a cap did not solve the issue. One thing I would check is to make sure at least half the antenna is vertical. Spektrum does need part of the antenna to be vertical or you will have some strange glitching.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

I've had the same thing happen, but only outdoors, even with the antenna vertical.

Indoors, even with the antenna laid down horizontal, no problems.

Outdoors, random loss of steering, ESC going full throttle for short periods. Luckily my damage list has been short so far.

A Rx cap helped, but wasn't a cure, motor choice didn't make a difference, a new antenna wire was no change, and different brand batteries was also no change. When I get home in a week, I'll try to finish getting it sorted. My plan of attack is to first replace the cap on the ESC, if that doesn't do it, I'm going to try a different servo, and if it still doesn't help, I'm going to replace the servo lead on the ESC.

If all that doesn't work, I'll be disabling another of my vehicles and getting an RMA with Tekin.

Currently running:
DX3r w/ 3500 Rx
Duo 10.5
RS, v203 [but also had this issue with 198 and 200 sometimes, but still works fine indoors and got tired of parking lot racing, so it's been a non-issue until the local indoor track installed an outdoor asphalt track, now it needs to be fixed]
Older KO digital servo
RC2 PT

Something else to keep in mind: Spektrum Rx's don't have low voltage failsafe protection. If something in the chain is overtaxing the BEC, or allowing voltage to be intermittently dropped to the RX, there's really no telling what the ESC might do in that brown-out period.

In my case, I think it's a combination of things, which is why replacing the servo lead to the ESC is on my list, as I ran that particular RS plugged into my Rx for about a year, putting a lot of strain on the lead to use the hotwire. I now use a 3" extension to allow me to be gentler on the plug, but it had this same issue prior to that change as well.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Tech Addict

I have actually tried replacing every component in the car to run with the tekin.. including servo motor receiver(diff spektrums) but it didn't help.. even new caps.. tried two caps.. I also soldered the wires to the motherboard of the RX thinking it was a connection issue. I also run the antenna straight up.. Ran this setup with a Hobbywing Xerun and it went fine no brown out RX power issues.

This setup was running fine for me for ages (tekin Spektrum).. then all of a sudden it reared its ugly head about a month ago and allot of other ppl seem to be having the same problem..

I hope there is a solution for this as I would prefer to use my spektrum.. it has allot smaller foot print in the car.

Would love to know what Tekin or Spektrums ideas are on this problem.. as both have advised me to just run a cap on the RX and this will fix the problem.. but it didn't solve it.

I have a new tekin running in the car whilst I have one getting warrantied and I am too scared to run it with a spektrum... as this problem has already cost me too much in car repairs ,new speedoes and receivers.

Cheers

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
I've had the same thing happen, but only outdoors, even with the antenna vertical.

Indoors, even with the antenna laid down horizontal, no problems.

Outdoors, random loss of steering, ESC going full throttle for short periods. Luckily my damage list has been short so far.

A Rx cap helped, but wasn't a cure, motor choice didn't make a difference, a new antenna wire was no change, and different brand batteries was also no change. When I get home in a week, I'll try to finish getting it sorted. My plan of attack is to first replace the cap on the ESC, if that doesn't do it, I'm going to try a different servo, and if it still doesn't help, I'm going to replace the servo lead on the ESC.

If all that doesn't work, I'll be disabling another of my vehicles and getting an RMA with Tekin.

Currently running:
DX3r w/ 3500 Rx
Duo 10.5
RS, v203 [but also had this issue with 198 and 200 sometimes, but still works fine indoors and got tired of parking lot racing, so it's been a non-issue until the local indoor track installed an outdoor asphalt track, now it needs to be fixed]
Older KO digital servo
RC2 PT

Something else to keep in mind: Spektrum Rx's don't have low voltage failsafe protection. If something in the chain is overtaxing the BEC, or allowing voltage to be intermittently dropped to the RX, there's really no telling what the ESC might do in that brown-out period.

In my case, I think it's a combination of things, which is why replacing the servo lead to the ESC is on my list, as I ran that particular RS plugged into my Rx for about a year, putting a lot of strain on the lead to use the hotwire. I now use a 3" extension to allow me to be gentler on the plug, but it had this same issue prior to that change as well.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

I've been wondering if the BEC on the RS is getting weak, leading to this problem, but since I don't have any way to data log the receiver voltage, I can only speculate.

The strangest part for me is that my issue only occurs outdoors with that particular Tekin equipped TC. I have another where the only difference is servo brand, and it's totally fine outdoors. Both run great indoors, which would lean me toward a signal issue, either from the transmitter or on the processing side of the receiver, but for the life of me I can't see how.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

I now take my rx's apart and clean them. You will be surprised as to how mutch junk gets in them. Also once I had a failing conection of the antenna wire to the board so I resoldered it.

My $0.02 worth.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

thanks for all the input! i appreciate it. ill look into the issue, at least im not the only one.. but not good that a lot of people are experiencing this issue.
makes me hesitant to use spektrum again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.