Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off-road stadium truck > convert to on-road

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Off-road stadium truck > convert to on-road

After being away from RC for almost 20 years, I'm finally getting back into the hobby. I'm not in it for the competition or anything - just that I now have 2 kids and I'm looking for a new area for us to connect on.

As part of my new endeavor, I'm looking to dive into something I've always wanted to do - convert my offroad truck into an on-road car. I'm not looking to race it, so there's no need to swap gearboxes, etc in order to achieve 80mph or anything. I have no experience with road cars - but I'm willing to learn.

Here's the specifics - I have a 1/10 scale JRX-T Pro truck and I want to put a 1960s Mustang body on it along with the necessary road wheels and tires on it. I just want to be able to put a car body, tires, and whatever else is needed on it so it looks like 100% road car (not just a road car body on a truck chassis).

My question is - has anyone done anything similar to this?
  • Do you have any tips, suggestions, etc? I'm sure new body mounts will have to be bought or made.....
  • Where did you have issues/troubles with your conversion? How did you overcome it?
  • How do you know what size of body to use (190mm, 200mm, etc)?
  • Is it necessary to change the shock towers?
  • What else do I need to know?

While my RC skill and prowess may be outdated - my tinkering, fabrication, and engineering skills are well above par. Any thoughts and insight would be great!

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I understand where you are coming from but the cost and time it would take far exceed buying a used road chassis and swap out the electrics.

The truck's wheelbase and track are too big for a 200mm sedan body.

I'm not sure if you can even find a set of road wheels to use on your truck (bearing mounted in front and drive pin in the rear).

Shock towers are way too tall which means replacing the shocks too.

You can get a nice Tamiya TT-01 brand new for less than modifying the truck and it will handle better too.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up this is what i would get

a new tt-01 what i have you can drift with it and it has tons of parts!! its like 200$