Wiki Posts
Search

Best Car For Newbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Arrow Best Car For Newbs

Hey,

I race all offroad now, but my local track has a really nice onroad track as well, and I want to get into onraod racing. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on good, moderately priced rc cars that I can learn from and also race with. something somewhere in the middle.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ben, there's a bunch of great cars out there. The used market is your best bet unless you absolutely, gotta have a new car. Right off the bat I can recommend the Losi XXXS, Associated TC3 and TC4, the HotBodies Cyclone or Cyclone S, Tamiya TA05 or Evo 4&5. The Xray cars are great but may be a bit much to learn with.
Your best bet is to see whats well supported in your area. No sense making parts harder to get then necessary. The classifieds here and Ebay are great sources for cars and parts.
Also need to decide at some point what class of racing you want to pursue. Hope that helps....you'll get plenty of responses.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you,

I want to race stock sedan or touring. And I dont mind buying used. I live in the los angeles area so i know Losi, AE, HPI, and Tamiya are all pretty close by. Just seeing what people prefer and what people think are easy to set up and get dialed. I dont want to get confused the first few months out.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hay if you live prity close i have a jl10e car that i raced maby 4-5 times that im trying to sell its a great starting car that also has alot of raceing features

I put universals in the front (wich cost 20 bucks for two http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...yword=&pg_no=1) to give it that faster corner speed I will also include a HS-625 MG servo (http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-625mg_ultra_speed.html)
and all the parts you see in the pictures

I realy enjoy this car I have 3 of them becase I love how thay handle on carpet and asphalt

Pm me if your interisted

Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks but i am not interested in buying one immediately. trying to get a feel for what is out there.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Associated still supplies parts for cars that they've had out for over ten years. Also some of the easiest cars I've worked on have been associated cars. I can change just about any part on a TC3/4 in a few minutes. Parts are cheap, but the car is tough enough that you won't have to use them right away.

I would also put in my vote for the TA05. It's a belt driven car. Great for someone who wants to get into the hobby at a good price. The car also has loads of upgrade options. So the prefomance of the car can keep up with the skill of the driver.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The best bang for the buck for somebody new to onroad TC racing, I would have to say would be a used AE TC5... Great car, drives great, very inexpensive, you wont outgrow it in a year, parts are EVERYwhere, and it can be as competative as anything on the track.

-cpt.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Associated still supplies parts for cars that they've had out for over ten years. Also some of the easiest cars I've worked on have been associated cars. I can change just about any part on a TC3/4 in a few minutes. Parts are cheap, but the car is tough enough that you won't have to use them right away.
+1

I love the durability of the TC4. It's not entirely indestructable, but it certainly will take a beating. Out of all my touring cars this one probably sees the most run time simply because it is so low maintenence. You can get a brand new TC4 RTR for ~$230 at many of the major hobby outlets.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you're in LA, don't forget to visit SpeedtechRC in San Gabriel!

+1 on the Tamiya TA-05...the others are good too though...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Team Ass

Like a few other respondents, I'm a big Associated fan. I've had a couple of TC3s and raced them as Vintage Trans Am, RCGT, Rally and Late Model (dirt oval). Very tunable for all those. Just got a TC5 for VTA and it definitely handles better than the TC3 out of the box. I have no problem recommending either model.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I am still rockin my TC3. You can get them dirt cheap and soo many parts are available. Get a cheap used chassis from someone, and then see what the part availability there is around you. Since the internet, however, part availability is somewhat meaningless haha
Old 05-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I would personally go with a xray t2R, very good price point and a ton of upgrades!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Ben, if I had a chance to do it over again, I would go to the track, find out what the top sponsored drivers are running and buy those cars (416x, cyclone, t3, BD5, TC5).

Reason:

1. Sponsored driver would usually help you get faster. They will usually share their setup (if you drive the same car).
2. Buying a mid level car might not be fast enough. Then upgrades. Then later give up and buy what the fast guys are running.

I would buy a second hand top rated car than a brand new mid level model. But if the joy is in building a brand new car, then that is a different matter.

Thanks.

Joel

P.S. Caveat, my 416WE is on the shelf and now drive a TL01 in the 13.5T class.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben Riddler
Thank you,

I want to race stock sedan or touring. And I dont mind buying used. I live in the los angeles area so i know Losi, AE, HPI, and Tamiya are all pretty close by. Just seeing what people prefer and what people think are easy to set up and get dialed. I dont want to get confused the first few months out.
I assume you're talking about WCRC as far as your local track? . Take a look at the Hot Bodies Cyclone S, parts are abundant, there's like a million Hot Bodies Sponsored guys in SoCal that are willing to help with your setup or questions, and the car is pretty affordable. You can easily get a used one for diiiiiirt cheap. You don't even need any hop-ups for it, it's a very straight forward car that is durable and the stock setup works at West Coast.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hpi sprint 2 its just that you want get alot of help with it. both because "pros" dont really use them and wud probly ignore you asking for help with one. but,,it is a hella durable car and can mingle. i just sold mines today.

your just gonna smash the first car up depending on what power u starting with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.