Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
loosen up the rear end >

loosen up the rear end

loosen up the rear end

Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default loosen up the rear end

how can i loosen up the rear end so the car will rotate better but still be somewhat planted, i have a hot bodies d8 i was going to change the rear toe but i cant find a different toe block other than stock. thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by speedzone99
how can i loosen up the rear end so the car will rotate better but still be somewhat planted, i have a hot bodies d8 i was going to change the rear toe but i cant find a different toe block other than stock. thanks
I don't know much about that car, but going from say 3degrees of toe in the rear to 2.5 would help. Most times working from the other end would help. Keeping the rear planted but giving your buggy more low speed steering is the ticket. I would start by making the front tires point strait with zero toe in and making them zero camber too. Strait up. Also lesening the caster up front can help, and using a thinner front swaybar, next try changing the diff oils and shock oil and pistons. I found that th 5-7-3 diff setup works on every car. the shocks could use smaller hole pistons in front and leave the rear stock, and use the same oils f and rear. this is just a general setup as the d8 may have specific traits that I don't really know. Finally adjust the brake bias so that the rear is strong and the front just barely engages as the center diff acts to give a bit of front brake anyway and too much front brake can cause your buggy to push in the turns, and check to see if your brakes are engaging at neutral, it helps to roll into the turns with the brakes uningaged at first and helps in driving. No brakes when at neutral.......Finally check your servo saver and make sure it is tight enough to take the forces of a turn.....
Old 05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Initiate

i will try the zero camber and zero toe and see what happens, i wanted to lower the rear toe but cannot find a rear toe block other than the stock one which is 3 degrees. thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Prophet

i dont know man i would remmend having, at little toe in or toe out on the front on a 1/8 scale cause they wont turn trust me i know.

but yea reduceing the toe on the, rear defiely makes the rear rotate better.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Giving us your base set up would go a long ways to us being able to help. I can say this though. I've been driving the D8T for a couple months now. It's always been good, but not "just right". I also had an issue with rotation. I was running 10-7-4. I dropped the rear to 2 and it is dialed now. Perhaps maybe too much steering, but I'd rather leave the rear the way it is now, and dial out steering if need be, another way. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
Giving us your base set up would go a long ways to us being able to help. I can say this though. I've been driving the D8T for a couple months now. It's always been good, but not "just right". I also had an issue with rotation. I was running 10-7-4. I dropped the rear to 2 and it is dialed now. Perhaps maybe too much steering, but I'd rather leave the rear the way it is now, and dial out steering if need be, another way. Hope this helps.
front
1.5 camber
40 weight shock oil
4000 diff
1 degree toe out
grey springs
proline calibers m3

center diff 4000

rear
2 camber
40 shock oil
2000 diff
stock toe block(3degree)
white springs
inner center holes on shock tower for the camber link
proline calibers m3

runs good but just need alittle more rotation in the slower sections, it handles the bumps and jumps good, i just lose alot of time in the slower sections, i had thought of lowering the camber link into the lowest inner hole, less rear toe(just can't find a different toe block)stiffer rear springs, less droop in the rear, etc
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default center diff oil

You need thicker center diff oil. 4,000 will get fried in a truggy......
Old 05-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Lemme clarify a bit. The OP is running the buggy, I am pretty sure. I stated my experience based on the same platform, but for the truggy. Although, you may be right still. Most of the set ups I've seen for the bug run 5 or 7 in the center.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Hot Bodies hasn't made any rear toe plates yet for the d8 line. You would have to switch to m2c racing toe system.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So many different ways to make the rear loose. I am guessing you just need a small amount change. You are happy with the setup you have.
Just shorten the rear camber links or reduce rear camber. Also make sure you are running the same ride height front and rear.

The best thing to do is download the Xray setup manual on there web site. Great tips for setup. Find a popular setup on this forum or from someone you know runs the same kit. Then apply the setup to every detail.

Good luck
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (96%+)

I've got the same issue on my Losi 8ight 2.0. I added 1mm of rear droop from 107 to 108 so when you get on the brakes it gets more weight on the front to turn and it helped some. I also went to 3 degrees toe out, from 5k yo 7k in the center, and 3 degrees camber front 2 rear to see if it would help but haven't tested yet.

From your setup I would say try moving the front shocks out on the tower, more toe out in front maybe more camber.