Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Thinking about switching brands, need advice... >

Thinking about switching brands, need advice...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about switching brands, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
DOMIT has it right. There are buggies out there that have some cheaper parts prices but it really doesn't work out that way. The Xray will out wear all of those 3 to 1 and you really will spend less on parts. The other thing to consider is that you'll be lucky to sell it for $150, the new car will be $500 (or ~$350-400 if you buy used) so you will have invested a couple hundred bucks to spend less on parts. Like buying a Prius to save on gas when your old car was in good shape and paid for.
Good point
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

losis not a bad choose i ran a 2.0 from the day they came out. I just made the switch to mugen and love it you can drive the car alot harder and push it alittle more. With you comen from xray you might like the mugen a little bit more. The 8ights arent something you can push or drive hard like xray and mugen. I also have a buddy that drives a D8 and loves it hes very fast and the car really holds up well to. My .02 i would try the mugen and Losi's kits are not cheap
Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

From someone who has kids, if you think saving a few bucks on car parts will make a difference, then you have no idea how much a kid really costs. Diapers, doctor visits, baby food, clothes, car seats, etc.. You haven't even talked about baby sitters, daycare or prepaid college plan yet. And you and your wife do have life insurance right? And some cash saved in case one of you can't work for a while? For example, we have very inexpensive daycare for my son (part time family rate) and that alone was over $6k last year. I understand trying to keep costs low, but if you're that close to the edge then you may just have to give up the bobby for a while. Just speaking from experience, good luck!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattFL
From someone who has kids, if you think saving a few bucks on car parts will make a difference, then you have no idea how much a kid really costs. Diapers, doctor visits, baby food, clothes, car seats, etc.. You haven't even talked about baby sitters, daycare or prepaid college plan yet. And you and your wife do have life insurance right? And some cash saved in case one of you can't work for a while? For example, we have very inexpensive daycare for my son (part time family rate) and that alone was over $6k last year. I understand trying to keep costs low, but if you're that close to the edge then you may just have to give up the bobby for a while. Just speaking from experience, good luck!
Nope I'm not that close to the cost edge by any stretch. Luckily both my wife and I are military so we kind of lucked out as far as all the medical stuff goes. I've decided to just keep the XB8 for now and drive it until it is no longer able to be fixed. But I do see what you mean, and yet again, another very good point.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Kids cost....................ALOT - especially if you are a hard working American....
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you both for your service! One final thought; most people (myself included) under estimate how time consuming kids are. It's not the care taking so much (feeding, bathing, dressing,etc..) it's that they are social and they want and need interaction, and a lot of it. In my experience, that is what requires so much time. And you will probably enjoy it so you won't miss your car asmuch as you think you will between drives.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you both for your service! One final thought; most people (myself included) under estimate how time consuming kids are. It's not the care taking so much (feeding, bathing, dressing,etc..) it's that they are social and they want and need interaction, and a lot of it. In my experience, that is what requires so much time. And you will probably enjoy it so you won't miss your car asmuch as you think you will between drives.
Naaaa that part dont bother me, we have their buts tied up in so much stuff, that they dont need to feel needy.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

I agree-If your trying to save £ why change??? The XB8 is a great platform and very durable. Plus will outlast a Losi ect easily. You will be spending less on the Xray than the other’s. Xray’s are known for there quality and slow wear compared to others. Getting a new buggy will defeat you purpose or spending less... It seems as though, its a way to get a new buggy..
As to me it doesn't make much sense. I ran a Hyper 8.5. Hyper 9 and now a 808. And the 808 is a daemon durable-Wear is next to 0. Hyper 9 was cheaper.. but I ended up spending more on replacing broken and worn parts.. and spent well over my 808 costs.. You pay more for xray products-But you get what you pay for.. the best quality products available.

I see no reason to change, The spare’s yes are a pain.. but me in the uk I order EVERYTHING online.. apart from fuel. Yes its a pain, but there is 1 local rc shop, but only sells the very basics mainly rtr for average larry to go buy.

My view:

Save money-Keep XB8-Get a few basic spares and drive...

P.S. Good to see your keeping it!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

My budy just got a Losi... and he loves it. I run Mugen, and love it... and you nkowhat i switched from

Losi usually has a better following for parts in hobby shops, but, a Mugen, is a Mugen.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JarheadRCGuy
Ok, currently I'm running an XRay XB8 TQ, but I recently found out that I have a kid on the way, and need to try and save some money (hard in this hobby, I know! ). Don't get me wrong, I love my XRay, but the parts side is a BIT pricey (all you XRay guys know what I'm talking about). I've been looking into the MBX-6 M-Spec pretty heavily. Anybody have any other suggestions as far as rollers? I already have all the electronics, motor/pipe, starter box, etc; I just can't afford the parts upkeep for the XRay anymore. I willing to entertain any suggestions, just not the ones that say "Buy ________ and never look back". I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons, right now, as well as sell the idea to my wife that I can save some money on this hooby with the baby on the way, because if not, one of em has to go, and it ain't gonna be my kid! Thanks again guys, I've always gotten really good advice/help here and hoping it doesn't end!
Mugens arent that cheap on parts either, if you want something cheap on parts the D8 or OD Z01B will be the cheapest! i know some parts on the OD are kinda pricey but those parts dont wear or break. i know someone that has been running the same drive train for a year now and it still looks almost brand new, no where near needing to be replaced. the D8 will wear parts quicker but you can just buy another kit for cheaper than replacing parts. i have the D8T and an OD Z01B-team and jammin X2 buggy and truggy and on performance side the D8 wins by far but on wearing parts the OD wins.

just my 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC-ZOMBIE
Congratulations on the new arrival, and thanks for serving our country.
+1 on both accounts!

for the topic at hand, the D8 is a very good car out of the box, and only a few upgrades from a darn near bulletproof car.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Spoken like a pro.....

Great point. In order for kids to develop properly, they need interaction....
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by merdith6
Great point. In order for kids to develop properly, they need interaction....
And a lot of it! I know my hobby has slowed down quit a bit.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default alt

Maybe an alternate strategy to fund your is to play is to buy a parts car.

For example -- If you bought a parts XB8 for a couple hundred bucks, used it to pick from. Then if you have to/want to make replacment orders you could do so in larger lots and save shipping or really shop around. When you're done sell what's left of it on ebay.

Not sure how feasible this is, I am not familiar with XB8's, what breaks/wears, etc. If you cost is mostly break/fix, probably would work well. If the issue is continuously wearing certain items, probably wouldn't help. Just an idea.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Buy the 808 towers, run some big bore shocks, and do the steering mod. All this info can be found at forum.teamxray.com