Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner to Rc

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Beginner to Rc

Hello folks I am a beginner to Rc and I am looking to but either a 1/8 scale car or 1/10 scale car. How would you go about choosing a car in terms of brand, durability etc. There are a lot of car manufacturers and I am having trouble choosing a manufacturer. At my club most people race mugen but one of the guys told me about the serpent 733. I would appreciate any suggestions on picking a manufacturer.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Anything from Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho and Xray should deliver outstanding performance and quality, but these are rather complex vehicles for a newcomer. If this is really your first RC car, I would suggest getting something that's electric powered, and easier to build and handle than a full-blown race car. Perhaps a ready-to-run would be a good first choice, and if you develop a desire to get involved at a higher level, only then should you consider this type of vehicle. Staring with one of these is a bit like slamming your finger in the door.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply SteveP. It is not my first Rc car, I have an electric car already and but I am looking to buy a Nitro car because no one races the electric cars at my club anymore. So I am not totally new, just tryaing to get information on what would be a good buy. Thanks for your information but does any of the manufacturers that you listed stand out above the other. I have read about the Mugen and trying to read about the Serpent. At my track the guys use alot of Mugens but I noticed that they seem to pop a lot of belts is that a fault of the manufactrer. One of the guys at my track told me the Serpent is a great car with a better design and from looking at it it seems that it is easy to fix compared to the Mugen parts easy accessible. What are your opinons.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mugen, Mugen, Mugen.....great cars both 1/10th and 1/8th. If your looking into 1/8th scale, the Mugen MRX5 should be coming ou soon. But your best bet is probably to find a used MRX4X somewhere and start from there.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I am a serpent guy. with that said, buy whatever car you have parts and support for locally.

Scott
Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Rookie

dods wer can we buy nitro cars with low cost
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pool1027
Hello folks I am a beginner to Rc and I am looking to but either a 1/8 scale car or 1/10 scale car. How would you go about choosing a car in terms of brand, durability etc. There are a lot of car manufacturers and I am having trouble choosing a manufacturer. At my club most people race mugen but one of the guys told me about the serpent 733. I would appreciate any suggestions on picking a manufacturer.
I'd go with the nitro tc3+ rtr by team associated. Then you can always move up to a Mugen, Serpent. or a Kyosho. Then if you want more speed and handling, you can get yourself a nice 1/8 scale.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Speaking from experience, I bought a NTC3 a long time ago, then a Team Magic G4RS and now I run an Xray NT1. If had to do it over again I would have went with a top notch car right out of the gate, the learning curve is always a little tough, but if you have the right car it helps out alot! Also whatever car you decide on make sure that your local hobby shops stocks parts, but you can find all the parts for any of the top cars with just a few clicks of your mouse!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

pool1027, If you want to buy a 10th or 8th scale competition car keep in mind that for a complete set up (set up station, tire truer, tires, set up board, bodies, starter box, tools, kit, spare parts, radio, engine, personal transponder, shock oils, diff. oils etc etc etc.) you will probably spent from $2000 to $3000 or more depending if you go 10th or 8th scale and what equipment you choose to buy.

I would recommend buying a kit from a manufacturer which parts are available in you area... I run serpents because running cost is cheaper than Xray. In my opinion all brands are good, it's all about the driver... Then again some cars like the 733 are really easy to set up and it has a greater sweet spot than others (the 720 for example), which means the set up doesn't have to be 100% on point and still run fast laps.

You can also consider a GT (ofna DM1, Kyosho GT1 and GT2) is anybody running those in your area? It's the cheapest class you can get it to and it's awesome! with about $1000 you should be ready to race...

check out the GT thread...

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

As a begginer, I don't think you should be looking at a 1/8 onroad car unless you have a fat wallet. It's a good way to make that fat wallet into a skinny wallet.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Tech Initiate

I am new to the hobby also and one of my friends gave me a revo 3.3 and I want to know how to lover it all the way but I herd of tied it up with a zip tie please give me some tips
Old 05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys for all the replies. They are one or two guys with ofna and kyosho Gonzo but I will check out some more about the parts and stuff as i sad most guys use Mugen in my area. I really appreciate the help guys.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Talking this is TRUE.........

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
As a begginer, I don't think you should be looking at a 1/8 onroad car unless you have a fat wallet. It's a good way to make that fat wallet into a skinny wallet.
haha,. as i found out,. i got a full race spec kyosho evolva 1/8th scale as a newbie,., ive still got it but..,. went out and got a kyosho FW-06 and put a O.S max .18 into it as my carpark/street basher,. running a race spec 8th scale belt drive car in a standard carpark when your learning can get abit iritating with the belts popping off etc etc,. IMO anyway
its been expensive,yet fun, no regrets as such :-)