Search

New to buggies

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Rookie

haha lol i here a lot bout the hyper 7 for intro into 8th scale buggies haha
Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

The X1X is a good car. If you already have a good radio, then just buy a reciever for it and a good steering servo
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You say you are "new to buggies but not the sport." What do you currently have? Do you have a decent radio? Spare TOP END servos? (No cheap junk on a buggy, it will die a quick death!) Engines? Starter box? Tools?

It is hard to recommend what to buy if we don't know how much of the gear you already have...
Old 05-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Losi 2.0 rtr
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Rookie

i do have a high end airtronics radio. but no good servons unless i take them from my hyper sc 10. no spare motors no starter box. I got into the brushless electric stuff but now i want to get back into nitro buggy. is there a big difference in the handeling characteristics with the jammin x1x buggy and some other better models
Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spike84848
i do have a high end airtronics radio. but no good servons unless i take them from my hyper sc 10. no spare motors no starter box. I got into the brushless electric stuff but now i want to get back into nitro buggy. is there a big difference in the handeling characteristics with the jammin x1x buggy and some other better models
Yea, and the support is key.

There are like a billion 8ights out there racing to 100 x1x's.

Good luck developing a good base setup and no parts support. It will be a tough learning process for you. You will either quit or have to buy another car/engine/servos down the road (weeks later).
Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would say def go for the losi over the jammin. Yes you would have to save a little more but well worth it. I got mine cheap from the lhs, he is a great guy. Everything works great on this thing only thing I had to replace were the servos. And no matter what rtr you get you will have to do that. The engine with the $20 turbo upgrade runs surprisingly close to a $200 dollar mills. What it comes down to it is you get what you pay for. Remember there is a reason why you don't see many jammins, ofnas, etc. at the track, but you see them on the for sale thread here. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

I understand that you dont want to go over $400. But to get something good with support and race worthy IMO you gonna spend over that......... Remember ANY RTR you get, you will need to replace servos and possibly radio.

By far the Losi 8T 2.0 is the best deal out there, you get a decent radio and decent chassis, starter box, a decent engine (will suggest the turbo button) This is truly a ready to run buggy.... I would save a bit more a grab one of these. plus if you buy one now, you get a free 1/36 crawler I think.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Honestly you should get a Redcat Tornado.

They can go like 60 mph out of the box YO!

*Sarcasm*
Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

The losi is probably the best RTR on the market. Im not saying theres any problem with cheaper buggies, since i couldnt resist and bought an OFNA Ultra LX 1, but if you plan to race, the 8ight 2.0 the best you could buy. Why dont you sell your radio to get a little extra cash and just buy a reiever for your Hyper SC?