Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having to give throttle when starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Having to give throttle when starting

Is it normal to have to give some throttle when using a starter box? I have only a gallon of fuel through my 8ight-T RTR .28 engine and this is what is happening. It started around the half gallon mark, after it starts everything seems fine. It's actually running really well. Maybe I'm not priming the engine enough? Currently I just place the car on the box, cover the exhaust with my finger or tuning screwdriver and press down once on the car to engage it, then I start it with the glow igniter.

Another thing that comes to mind is that I'm now not heating the engine up with a heat gun since I'm out in the field. I will use it if I'm around the house but that is all.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Tech Addict

I have had some engines that I could prime and they would start right up with no throttle and I have had others that need a little throttle to get started. Just out of habit I give a little throttle when I am starting my engine.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When i use my competition heat engine heater and preheat the engine to 200* its fires first bump with no throttle, when i fire the engine cold it needs some throttle.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up. So far so good with this car. Will be installing a new steering servo this weekend.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, its normal, I dont know ONE racers that do not use the throttle when starting, from PROS to JOES
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Richen up your low end, it's not getting fuel.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shuming
Yes, its normal, I dont know ONE racers that do not use the throttle when starting, from PROS to JOES
I agree. Most of the time I have to give just a little trigger movement to get it to fire. Sometimes if my engine is warm and I give it a little bump it will fire real quick with me having my radio in hand...Just depends on temp and how much or little fuel is in the case...