Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Axial 28 1S spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Axial 28 1S spec

Does anyone run this engine? Have you had any luck tuning the thing? I can tune it to run perfect in my 1/8 GT onroad car for about the first 3 minutes then it starts to run very lean. I wonder if the carb which is half plastic, half aluminum is getting hot during the race and leaking where the two materials meet. Man, I HATE plastic carbs!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Try replacing the whole carb with another one, maybe they're hit or miss. I ran one in my GT car and it was fast for a budget engine.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi
I have an .28RR and I also find it a little difficult to tune it just right. Last weekend I noticed a leak on my carburator, exactly where the plastic and metal comes together. Then shortly after my engine died, probably because of the leak, which I believe have caused the engine to run lean at high revs (the piston got stock and when I took it apart it had a nice little scratch in the piston and cylinder). The bearings also felt pretty loose, so they were gone also. So I guess that the carbs on the Axial engines are junk.
Another thing I have noticed regarding my .28RR is how high it has to be in temps to run at it's best. My .28RR had to be around 165 C (330 degrees fahrenheit) to run good! Any lower and it struggled to take the revs. I guess running at these high temps also wears out the bearings and piston/cylinder faster.

Cheers
Tommy
Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran a 1S for more than a season. All of the Axial engines I've had needed to run rich. They wanted to be in the 220F range. I ran 20% as well. Check and seal the engine for air leaks. The carb is fine. I actually changed the carb on a Werks .28 to this carb and it tears.... Some locals said that the o-ring for the high speed wore out fast and the needle would move. I never had that problem.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

I was told by a good friend , to put some JB Weld over the mid-range needle before ever running the engine-in. Did it and had no problems with it and really liked the engine. I used it for 3 races and gave it to another GT racer, he's still using the engine too.

For a low budget engine, it's pretty good.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I raced one it ran well in my dirt late model it's my backup motor. It wasn't the fastest motor out there but It made the A main.
Racer asking about a rock crawler motor in the A main.
For $120 they are ok but sealing the midrange needle is a great idea, pat yourself on the back for that one!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

hi people ,soz 4 bringing up a old thread but oh well , just a quick question about the axial .28 spec 1s . iv lost one of the jets in the carb , and want to know what other carbs will fit this engine ? is there a better make of carb to fit straight on to it ? . i can just buy another jet but im thinking of up grading.

the axial i have now i got fully modded stage 4 and i have to say best thing i ever did for that engine . its just a basher engine but it RIPS. it made the engine run so much better , hold tunes better and just all round power house.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Tech Lord

If it has a 15mm shaft you can almost use all carbs from most populair brands.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

ok coool , so what would any one suggest is a good replacment carb for it thats not to $$$$$ .
Old 06-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Lord

Try to find a broken engine on ebay....

The Novarossi carbs are very good on all engines.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

i put a go-tech carb on it from my go race motor and OMG the axial just woke up lol , the carb made the engine so much snappyer and a lil more on the top end to . i bought a grp.21 carb from amain last night so il prob put that on and try it then it gets here or just leave the go on it . thanks for ya help guys.