Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Cd-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mcfly
hi im no expert but have played around for a while. getting grease out, i usualy take out cogs and spray with metho and wipe out with rag.
screw replacing, i havent got the new diffs togeher yet but i sheard the factory screws off and wrecked 2 diff cases, i am in proseces of building new diffs and am using 2x8 machine screws and have been told to drill holes a little deeper with 1.6 mm drill.
oils, i have used 30k oil in front and was ok, and have been using 30k in rear, it was ok to, but was told to try 100k to help stop diff breaking probs. hope that helps.
McFly

I managed to get a 1/16" drill bit which i think is very close to a 1.6mm?

Normally i would run a heavier diff oil in the front to the rear, but are you saying you are better running a heavier oil then normal to stop the diff from stripping. I am only runnin the Force engine at the moment, so it isn't a huge power being put through the driveline.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

hi s 710 nut, yes ive had probs with the internal gears in the diff stripping and have had it sugested to me by a few cd3 drivers to put thicker oil in the rear diff to slow the action a bit. the second cd3 i got was from a shop owner whow raced it and he said his had 100k rear diff oil in it when i bought it, i just put my radio gear in and ran it, and handled good, very neutral and when i wanted a little taily but controlable under acceleration out of tight corners
Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up WOW! CD3

I had a Great Time at the track today. I kick some HPI R 40 assess, the guys at track fell in love with the car, Now the cd3 is a team spec with all hop ups....
Running nova 5port The engine run so silent that one guy thought it was and electric ,the take off was fantastic on the long straight it just fly’s … thanks to all you guy’s that gave some wonderful insight with problem that would come up. So I am gald that we can help each other out ……thanks.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just out of curiosity, is the CD3 really that mch faster than the LD3? They look line they have the same FDR, but I'm guessing it's much more efficient. Now that they are breaking ground on the new track in our area (FINALLY!!!) I need to get right before the season starts.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mcfly
hi s 710 nut, yes ive had probs with the internal gears in the diff stripping and have had it sugested to me by a few cd3 drivers to put thicker oil in the rear diff to slow the action a bit. the second cd3 i got was from a shop owner whow raced it and he said his had 100k rear diff oil in it when i bought it, i just put my radio gear in and ran it, and handled good, very neutral and when i wanted a little taily but controlable under acceleration out of tight corners
Was that 100k in the rear diff with a front diff though or the oneway?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by S710_Nut
Was that 100k in the rear diff with a front diff though or the oneway?
it was with a one way
Old 01-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmm, it's quite odd my CD3 pro turned back up into my hands. I'm thinking of selling it for someone to use as a spare parts car. However, it doesn't have the centax, an engine, radio gear, and is missing some screws since I've decided to use it for my R40. I'll try to post pics of it as I put it back together since some parts went on the TL-01.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default My New Cd3!

Hi Guys

I have finally bitten the bullet and joined the Hong Nor/Ofna CD3 camp. I'd like to say big thanks to au_Nightmare who i have had many late night talks with online while nutting out a new ride for the 06 season.

I decided against the pro kit, as i am wanting to drop back a class and try and enjoy my racing more. All fingers crossed i should make a debut this coming weekend at our opening race meet and i will keep you all posted...

Sure you all know what the kit looks like, but i took some pics

BB
Attached Thumbnails Ofna Cd-3-img_0844.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-img_0845.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-img_0846.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-img_0847.jpg  
Old 01-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Here is a photo of the car complete today before i hit the track!

First Drive:

Car was awsome... I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, i played around with Springs/Shock Oil last night, but apart from that ran it default from the factory.

I will dial in my normal setup preferences before the weekend, but with a fresh set of tyres i am realing looking forward to this weekend

Ohhh.. and so far so good from the Force .15

BB
Attached Thumbnails Ofna Cd-3-img_0849.jpg  
Old 01-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

BB

Post up some pics of "After the first run". See how much wear and tear you established. My first track time was pretty nasty, snapped stinger, fubared body, snapped rear lower suspension pin, 2 busted clutch springs. I think thats it.

Hope yours was more successful than mine. btw, what springs are you running?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Bundy_Bear - still shocked you went CD3 over your beloved memories of the NTC3.

lol omg trumpster1, been racing the LD3/CD3 for 2.5 years. The LD3 was my first touring car, I learnt on it, plenty of crashes though I have never snapped a hinge pin. Sounds like she had a hard time!

One of my first race meets with LD3 was cut short - a car infront had crashed on sweeper and was placed back infront of me so had to turn hard not to hit. As a result I spun out and there was a very fast car coming up straight behind me. Being new I sat there thinking staying still was best chance not to get t-boned. BZZTTT wrong. Crushed exhaust, fuel tank and bent center drive shaft. No worries I say, until I realised left spare tank at home grrrr.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trumpster1
BB

Post up some pics of "After the first run". See how much wear and tear you established. My first track time was pretty nasty, snapped stinger, fubared body, snapped rear lower suspension pin, 2 busted clutch springs. I think thats it.

Hope yours was more successful than mine. btw, what springs are you running?
Trumpster1:

Here are some photos i took today after the maiden voyage yesterday. I have however cleaned the car in preparation for Sundays race meet. No damage, i did take a knock to the pipe which has made a slight dent around the stinger.

I ditched the kit springs as they are way too soft. I have installed some HPI progressive springs as you can see in the photos that i ran on my NTC3 with success some years ago

BB
Attached Thumbnails Ofna Cd-3-img_0852.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-img_0853.jpg  
Old 01-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
Bundy_Bear - still shocked you went CD3 over your beloved memories of the NTC3.

lol omg trumpster1, been racing the LD3/CD3 for 2.5 years. The LD3 was my first touring car, I learnt on it, plenty of crashes though I have never snapped a hinge pin. Sounds like she had a hard time!

One of my first race meets with LD3 was cut short - a car infront had crashed on sweeper and was placed back infront of me so had to turn hard not to hit. As a result I spun out and there was a very fast car coming up straight behind me. Being new I sat there thinking staying still was best chance not to get t-boned. BZZTTT wrong. Crushed exhaust, fuel tank and bent center drive shaft. No worries I say, until I realised left spare tank at home grrrr.
au_Nightmare: I am

I put the car onto the setup station tonight, and car was pretty well spot on with all settings from the factory. Way too much camber in the rear for my liking on rubber tyres, i just hope the rear links are long enough to cope with my min. setting...

Bring on Sunday and let the fun begin

BB
Old 01-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hey guys I got back my CD3 Pro that I may be selling. Theres been a little alter in the arms, few screws missing, no centax. Basically it will be a parts only vehicle. I'm going to assemble it and get pictures and will post an asking price. Anyone interested let me know. For a recap, no body, tires, engine, centax, missing few screws. I recently got the alternator changed on my car and it costed me a lot of $$. I now need to try and get more hours and or just find a new job. When owning a real car, money is highly needed and $100 per week is crap.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

BB,
Looks good for the first time. You are lucky that you didn't break anything, congrats!

au,
Hinge pins are easy to break, especially when the car comes crashing down from about 2 feet in the air at about 35 mph around a 180 degree turn. I guess I pushed in a little beyond its limits. I'm going to a shop to see if the NTC3 bellhousing will fit over my clutch shoes. Does that NTC3 have a 3 shoe clutch?

Everything is good now, except I'm still working on this dang gearing. I found that all i need to buy is a threaded clutch bell and purchase the 0.8 clutch gears from OFNA. I was at my LHS and they had no clue. None of their gears matched. Now I just need to figure out how many teeth I want to put on it. I'm thinking that I'm going to go towards the torque side instead of the top speed. The track that I run on only has one decent sized straight away, so I think that I should be good.

Well, I'll quit for now. I think that I've typed enough. If anyone has any other comments, please advise. Also, anyone have a decent .12 3port for sale?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.