Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
buying a motor second hand. >

buying a motor second hand.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buying a motor second hand.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default buying a motor second hand.

Can someone give me some tips on what to look for when buying a motor second hand? I dont want to buy an engine then have it snap a conrod 5 minutes after installation.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: buying a motor second hand.

Originally posted by bleach1
Can someone give me some tips on what to look for when buying a motor second hand? I dont want to buy an engine then have it snap a conrod 5 minutes after installation.
DONT EVEN THINK OF IT... You will want to replace the piston and sleave, and the bearings and the crank as soon as you get the engine... there is no good deal on a second hand engine unless he gives it to you.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

I would only buy a used engine from someone I knew or trusted.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i wouldn't mind as long as they are willing to open the back
plate so you could check for rod clearance and corrosion.
also take the head of to see if the engine has pitting on the
top of the pistons and a lot of scratches on the sleeve.

with the prices of the engines going way up it might not be
that bad but like rod said i would only buy from someone
you trust.

Old 04-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: buying a motor second hand.

Originally posted by BaxterC
DONT EVEN THINK OF IT... You will want to replace the piston and sleave, and the bearings and the crank as soon as you get the engine... there is no good deal on a second hand engine unless he gives it to you.
Don't generalize.

I bought used engines that were exactly as described and I once got one that was totally gone.

What I would always recommend is to replace the conrod, since you cannot see fatigue.

Bearing, piston and sleeve can be checked pretty easily.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

always change the con-rod,... piston & sleeve can hang on till quite some time (as long as it still has compression...

actually, a "second-hand" engine can even rated more expensive than a brand new one for some ppl,... someone bought an OS TR(P)T off me 50% on top of the new price, coz he'd seen how it ran and interested (I did not plan to sell my engines,.. ever... but he gave me an offer I can't refuse )
Old 04-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by orangbaligila
always change the con-rod,... piston & sleeve can hang on till quite some time (as long as it still has compression...

actually, a "second-hand" engine can even rated more expensive than a brand new one for some ppl,... someone bought an OS TR(P)T off me 50% on top of the new price, coz he'd seen how it ran and interested (I did not plan to sell my engines,.. ever... but he gave me an offer I can't refuse )
Stefan, I agree with you, but remember that ANY motor you buy second hand, you will need to be able to touch it before you buy. I would personally not do it unless I could see and touch the motor. Most people out there are out to make money or sell their junk if they are selling, if they have upgraded and you know the guy\gal, that would be ok. I would never do it, unless I knew the person. I know I was generalising, but you need to ask yourself, 'Can I afford to repair\replace this motor if it is totalled\damaged?'

This is just MY opinion, and may mean nothing to any of you, just a little input to consider.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by BaxterC
Stefan, I agree with you, but remember that ANY motor you buy second hand, you will need to be able to touch it before you buy. I would personally not do it unless I could see and touch the motor. Most people out there are out to make money or sell their junk if they are selling, if they have upgraded and you know the guy\gal, that would be ok. I would never do it, unless I knew the person. I know I was generalising, but you need to ask yourself, 'Can I afford to repair\replace this motor if it is totalled\damaged?'

This is just MY opinion, and may mean nothing to any of you, just a little input to consider.
you got the wrong quote