2 speed? fast and slow engage...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 speed? fast and slow engage...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 05:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy 2 speed? fast and slow engage...

hi guys...

having a problem... it's my superten's 2 speed, it did't seem to engage even if i go full trottle? or maybe it engaged too soon tat i could't hear it? i'm sure there is a sound change when it engages rite?

how do i adjust it?

thanks
Old 03-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Frantic,
If you can bring your car down to Hobbybug Track in Marina South on Sunday, there are more than enough people to help you to adjust it. A lot of them have good experience in adjusting superten 2 speed.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

scared paiseh...

i'm a beginner leh... then ppl there play serpent one rite? comparing to mine it's 1-10 of the standard leh... then they are pros
Old 03-21-2002, 06:06 PM
AO
Tech Addict

No leh, everyone got play different car one no worry. First time i go everyone also help me .
Old 03-22-2002, 02:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

need to know fast mah...

so where to adjust ? want to play already....
Old 03-22-2002, 04:30 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Need to check the instructions for exact adjustment screw/s, but if you can't hear the change then then it is more likely to be changing too soon & actually starting off in 2nd gear.

2 spd transmissions with typical 2spd gearing is about improving acceleration by giving you a lower 1st gear. The 2nd gear's ratio is usually nearly same as standard single speed car. So if your tranny is stuck in 2nd gear all the time, it just drives like a single speed & you won't hear the change.

You usually need to buy higher ratio gearsets for higher top speed.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

think that's wat happen in my case.... it starts in the second gear... i think...

coz i found that it actually starts off slow (making the engine stress) then after that when it reaches a faster speed it then become smooth...

do u think it's a comfirm that it's starting with the 2 speed?
Old 03-26-2002, 03:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

isn't there an adjustable set screw or something for your 2 speed? for my hpi nitro mt, the set screw is supposed to be 3 turns from total tightness.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

i found that the problem is that the car actually starts from the 2nd speed itself... instead of going from 1st to 2nd it goes 2nd strait away... therefore when picking up speed it takes up more time...

what can i do about this?
Old 03-26-2002, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

loosen the set screw by 3 turns( according to m 2 speed's instructions, then trial and error from there.
if u have 2 set screws (like mine) then u can loosen the one with the spring 3 turns. as for the other one, loosen it a bit and give the thing a bit of slack, tighten it back again. i hope hpi 2 speed is the same type as yours.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

It might be possible that your "hook" for the 2-speed is sticking out, which is why your 2 speed is always engaging first.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:53 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

no No NO - **not** "loosen"!

You want to TIGHTEN that adjusting screw, until your car definitely starts off in 1st gear. Tighten it all the way in, then unscrew it either maybe 1 or 2 turns and start testing from there.

Also check that the 2spd is built correctly. Make sure the little spring that sits under the screw is present, not fallen out & lost. Also put some threadlock on that adjusting screw - otherwise your adjustment will change with vibrations.

When adjusted correctly, your car should go 1st speed for about 10-20 feet, then change up. Adjust to suit your track layout.