Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tekin RS/Novak Ballistic 17.5 gearing,timing, Help? >

Tekin RS/Novak Ballistic 17.5 gearing,timing, Help?

Tekin RS/Novak Ballistic 17.5 gearing,timing, Help?

Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tekin RS/Novak Ballistic 17.5 gearing,timing, Help?

Im new to the tc racing and I am looking for some good esc,gearing set-ups for my tf-5, heres what im running now.
Motor:Ballistic 17.5 with 15 degrees timing
CAR:Kyosho tf-5 stallion
100 tooth spur
26 tooth pinion
internal is 1.8
final drive is 6.93
rollout is1.113
ESC:Tekin rs
version 203
sensored mode
Drag:20
Reverseff
Brake:100
Neutral:10
Motor:1
Throttle:3
Voltageff
Pushff
Timing boost:50
Turbo boost:10
Delay:.2
Turbo ramp:3.0
Start rpm:2903
Ending rpm:13000

Any help that someone could give me as far as the setup for a small asphalt track that is similar to norcal rc would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 64buick
Im new to the tc racing and I am looking for some good esc,gearing set-ups for my tf-5, heres what im running now.
Motor:Ballistic 17.5 with 15 degrees timing
CAR:Kyosho tf-5 stallion
100 tooth spur
26 tooth pinion
internal is 1.8
final drive is 6.93
rollout is1.113
ESC:Tekin rs
version 203
sensored mode
Drag:20
Reverseff
Brake:100
Neutral:10
Motor:1
Throttle:3
Voltageff
Pushff
Timing boost:50
Turbo boost:10
Delay:.2
Turbo ramp:3.0
Start rpm:2903
Ending rpm:13000

Any help that someone could give me as far as the setup for a small asphalt track that is similar to norcal rc would be greatly appreciated
Your setup is good just change the FDR to 6:00 and check motor temp then go lower...
Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the quick response, im just a little nervous because I blew smoke on a novak velociti 17.5, shattered the rotor to pieces.

So im thinking 30 tooth pinion versus the 26, giving me a final drive of 5.99.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah, I feel the same from reading your setup....your 7.0 gearing is more for 13.5. I would go to 6.3 instead of 6.0 to start...that way, you can keep gearing up if your motor is still cool and if you still think you have room to get faster. I always like to go SAFT first before gearing it to the moon.

Your turbo boost, timing boost and turbo ramp are very much like everyone does. However, depends on how SMALL of the track that you are talking about....you might want to consider starting the timing boost at 40 instead of 50...my thoery is, Novak motor kinda has a limit on 50s timing total. If you have 15 on the motor, plus 50 on the speedo, you will have total 65 timings...I would like to set it around 50s, so you can try 15 on motor, 40 on speedo, total 55 to start....if the car has room to go faster, motor is cool...then you can always get back up to 50 on timing boost.

Alot of setups I saw from Tekin...they used 50 timing boost only when they set the motor mechanical timing on 0. Once they have 10 or so timing on the motor, I have seen some dialed back the timing boost to 45 or 40. That has a lot to do with the size of the track.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxSp97
Your setup is good just change the FDR to 6:00 and check motor temp then go lower...
I'll back this guy up. He has the fastest TEKIN RS Novak17.5 combo setup on our track. His motor temp never goes higher than 140F. How do I know this? I pit with him .
Old 03-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks guys, our track is pretty small, they change it at every race though so the infield varies but the straight is usually about 80 feet.

I had my timing on the new ballistic set at 5 but experienced problems with it not wanting go. From what I read on novaks site they reccomend not going below 15. Theres been some issues with the ballistic series and tekin speedos when u zero the motor.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 64buick
thanks guys, our track is pretty small, they change it at every race though so the infield varies but the straight is usually about 80 feet.

I had my timing on the new ballistic set at 5 but experienced problems with it not wanting go. From what I read on novaks site they reccomend not going below 15. Theres been some issues with the ballistic series and tekin speedos when u zero the motor.
Yes, I noticed the same thing on my Ballistics(both 17.5's) with my RS, I first tried cranking down the timing on the motor as far as possible, but the motors never liked it, had some big cogging issues(sort of, they'd be INCREDIBLY sluggish on accelerating from a slow corner or dead stop) & they'd get WAY too hot(one even hit 222 F, though somehow, it seemed to survive, I'm still using it now & it runs fine). So I finally decided to reset & rethink it, & put the motors' timing back to the "N" spot(which I think is 30 degrees), used RS setting like what's already been posted, & just geared it a LOT shorter than what we had been doing with the v200 software(like going from a 4.6 FDR to about a 5.19 at my local track), & it's run BEAUTIFULLY ever since. In fact at last night's club racing, it ran great & never got hotter than 140 F. SO I think with the Novak's, the gearing is the biggest concern, once you get it right, you'll be fine....