Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I throw this back in the closet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Should I throw this back in the closet?

I started a complete rebuild on my MTX-2 (yes 2 lol) atleast 6 or more years ago...well I never got around to finishing it, I was just wondering if its even worth trying to complete or even possible? Anyone know where I can get aluminum pulleys for it?

Update: I'm almost finished with project MTX2... It took me awhile to find a NIB Zac Project pipe

Last edited by OLDSKL; 05-18-2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

good luck finding parts your prob better off getting somthing alittle newer
nice looking ride though
Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roadrash730
good luck finding parts your prob better off getting somthing alittle newer
nice looking ride though
I think thats gonna be the case anyways, I guess I can use it as a shelf display lol
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

good idea belive me the frustration of running an old car that u cant get parts for is unmeauserable but havin a old one that looks as good as that one on a shelf is cool no frustration required
Old 03-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sell the car! There is guaranteed to be someone out there in need for parts for that car! You have the option to keep that engine as a spare for practice or something. Run it till it dies.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Sell the car! There is guaranteed to be someone out there in need for parts for that car! You have the option to keep that engine as a spare for practice or something. Run it till it dies.
I do need to put the motor to use, its a JP Black mod motor with a Kawahara/Zac Project cooling head, poor thing has never seen gas.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roadrash730
good idea belive me the frustration of running an old car that u cant get parts for is unmeauserable but havin a old one that looks as good as that one on a shelf is cool no frustration required
oh its not that bad! I dont know the OP's intentions but hopefully he wont be racing it competitively, where the frustration of parts availability increases ten-fold.

I still run my impulse, and impact. My girlfriend runs her nitro RS4-2, which incidentally was my first nitro kit 10 years ago. mind you i dont race these cars competitively, we simply have good clean fun out in the parking lots we find, I just keep an eye out for rollers and parts on different forums and sometimes i find good deals on ebay, took advantage of blowout specials at my LHS on old serpent parts. I have a couple of totes full of parts for them now. I still run the cars because they are quite sentimental to me. It makes me happy to get them off the shelf and see them ripping through parking lots.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo9000
oh its not that bad! I dont know the OP's intentions but hopefully he wont be racing it competitively, where the frustration of parts availability increases ten-fold.

I still run my impulse, and impact. My girlfriend runs her nitro RS4-2, which incidentally was my first nitro kit 10 years ago. mind you i dont race these cars competitively, we simply have good clean fun out in the parking lots we find, I just keep an eye out for rollers and parts on different forums and sometimes i find good deals on ebay, took advantage of blowout specials at my LHS on old serpent parts. I have a couple of totes full of parts for them now. I still run the cars because they are quite sentimental to me. It makes me happy to get them off the shelf and see them ripping through parking lots.

this is true i was speaking of racing so that may not apply anyways havin fun is the main goal so if u can still have fun with it then go for it
Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

I would be kinda worried about racing this car, but it would be kinda neat to compete against all the newer cars and maybe kick their butts lol
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Update in the first post. I also purchased a MTX3 NIB for my next project Oh and i picked up a MTX3 roller to start to make a come back lol

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Other than parts support possibly being a problem, a chassis being obsolete doesn't always make it less competitive. I seem to do okay with my 710 and 950R
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SMcpot
Other than parts support possibly being a problem, a chassis being obsolete doesn't always make it less competitive. I seem to do okay with my 710 and 950R
Yeah, I would like to run the MTX2 to see how well it competes, but it will never see gas, Im only finishing it to collect.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OLDSKL
Yeah, I would like to run the MTX2 to see how well it competes, but it will never see gas, Im only finishing it to collect.
You can still find some parts for it at nitro house. I am getting a new pulley set and body for my nephews car.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A few weeks back I almost sold my MTX-2 Project. I'm glad I didn't. I mean a project is not done until you've at least seen it throught to the end...whether the outcome is good or bad....otherwise its junk or a waste of money. I've at least run mine a bit for breaking the engine in, but still not done.

Anyways the guys I was thinking of selling to got a used one from a buddy and he needed manual and a few parts. I helped him out with the manual but decided to keep my MTX-2. After seeing your thread and a reading a few threads of guys that have restored cars older than our MTX-2s. I'm compelled to finish this journey I've started. I hope you do the same.........

Here are some pics.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.