Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Whats the point of all these new .21 motors? >

Whats the point of all these new .21 motors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the point of all these new .21 motors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Lord

The main reason is to get more money, a new and (supposed to be) better engine must be bought. They alter some timings to make te "feeling" different so we think it is better. And face it, we are the stupid guys wanting all the new stuff thinkin it is better while for the most of us an older model is good enough.

Looking to the models from Novarossi they are always based on the same design. Bore/stroke=16.2x16.8, crankpin 5mm, crankshaft 13, 14 or 14.5mm, same carb etc. Only the design on the outside is mostly different to let us think it is new.
Also Novarossi let us know about the piston, if it is microcasted or machined. The first microcasted pistons were great, they had a long life, were a pain in the ass to get them runned in and NR did us make believe they were the best pistons. With the last Flash series they were crap and now the new Flash has a machined piston which must be better.
Face it, they are changing materials constantly due different suppliers or no stock and it is no issue for the consumer, he/she just wants an engine that works and if the piston last long or short you will never know until you have used it to that time.

So advertising with new/better/stronger materials is also to hide the bad productions they had before but it will not give a warranty it will not happen again....
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dishsoap
Man I guess I am getting lucky. I have been running a .21 Trinity Extech for over a year now same engine. It has to have at least 7 gallons on it if not more. It is still running just like it did when I bought it.

I have had no problems with it except when I first got it and the putty fell out. Never filled it and have been running it every since.

I wish trinity was on the up and up with support and customer service. I would like to buy another one but very weary.
Well With A-main dropping the prices on the .21 along with the fact I have a buggy now, I think I am gonna drop that hammer and pick one of the "pre-run" motors up.. I have the .24 in Truggy, and Love it. Just at 1 gallon on the "FUll-Mod" and it rips.. I'll let you know how the .21 goes when I pick it up.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The more entrants you have in a competitive market the better it is for the consumer. Business 101 says increased competition drives prices down, enhances innovation, and raises quality and customer service.

Well that is the theory anyways.

Just enjoy the selection and the prices available now.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

JL 21 is a killer engine ! best value on the market IMHO..... powerful and fast ! faster then most other .21's...tunes very easy, well built internals, billet piston, oversized crankpin, good hardening on the crank.... All in all a wicked engine that I am very happy to have at the price it sells for.. And yes it is 100% identical internally to the RB K9, it just sell much cheaper....
Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Back to the original question:

The point is capitalism through competition.

Now back to this threads direction:

Alpha Plus have and are still proving that the average racer can have all the power they want with Pro run times for the near cost of an RTR engine.

They have recently won the Gas Champs, Nitro Challenge & Silverstate in the hands of Sportsman drivers.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I like all the competition, especially in the $200 price tag area. TONS of competent motors to choose from that won't cost the price of a new kit....
Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Changing the Con Rod after break-in is no myth, and should be done to any and EVERY engine!
Tell that to the Team Novarosi guys! Their engines are rivet sealed.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Tech Lord

One thing making the huge difference is that most competition engines are Europian made making it more expensive than Asian made. OK, OSMAX should be Asian made as well but maybe they (or their distributers) are going with the Europian prices to get the most out of it.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Come on Monty, you know it's the right thing to do. Even on Novarossi engines!

Anyway, I know some people will disagree, but IMO it's (relatively) cheap insurance that promotes a long lasting engine!
after gallon 4 is rod replacement if you broke it in properly and havent overstressed the rod .

if you think that the wot method for breakin is what you like you should have a rod strictly for breking the engine in and then put the new one back in for actual racing .
Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
after gallon 4 is rod replacement if you broke it in properly and havent overstressed the rod .

if you think that the wot method for breakin is what you like you should have a rod strictly for breking the engine in and then put the new one back in for actual racing .

Yeah, I generally replace mine around the 3rd gallon, so not right after break-in.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

well ive seen a modded ninja jx run...and its nothing like clockworks modded jl...the thing revs like a onroad motor, its def a sleeper, and i can not wait to turn some heads with that beast

on top of that, the piston has been "fitted" to the sleeve, so simple 2-3 tanks of running to get the bearings moving and oiled and your ready to go...the rod will have virtually no wear

for the price you cant beat it
Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by petevette
The more entrants you have in a competitive market the better it is for the consumer. Business 101 says increased competition drives prices down, enhances innovation, and raises quality and customer service.

Well that is the theory anyways.

Just enjoy the selection and the prices available now.
+10 on that
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Changing the Con Rod after break-in is no myth, and should be done to any and EVERY engine!
I have never changed a con rod in an engine before the piston and sleeve had to be replaced. I only did that cause the engine was already disassembled. I guess everyone has their own method of doing things.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reggie l.
well ive seen a modded ninja jx run...and its nothing like clockworks modded jl...the thing revs like a onroad motor, its def a sleeper, and i can not wait to turn some heads with that beast

on top of that, the piston has been "fitted" to the sleeve, so simple 2-3 tanks of running to get the bearings moving and oiled and your ready to go...the rod will have virtually no wear

for the price you cant beat it
Plus 4 is supposed to be one of the best engines out there. but the one i saw running at the track ran like garbage. I have a vspec and a ninja and use about 3/4 throttle, the other quater is not necessary.

a good tune is everything. I am ok at it. But not as good as others. If you saw my ninja run on a bad day you probably would stay away from it like the plague

But when my tunning hits the sweet spot it turns heads
Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
JL 21 is a killer engine ! best value on the market IMHO..... powerful and fast ! faster then most other .21's...tunes very easy, well built internals, billet piston, oversized crankpin, good hardening on the crank.... All in all a wicked engine that I am very happy to have at the price it sells for.. And yes it is 100% identical internally to the RB K9, it just sell much cheaper....
I was impressed by the JL .21 clockwork mod nick was running this weekend. pritty potent for such a cheep mill. (price wise)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.