Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC >

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC

Like Tree2Likes

Advanced Electronics Black Diamond ESC

Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Does the latest firmware give you control over the drag brake? I'm running the 2.x whatever that is blinky legal, but the drag brake settings are inadequate, and the push brake is poor. So, they tend to sit in the box doing nothing. I'll send them in to get upgraded if it'll give them the same features as any modern ESC.
These are the default settings when the programme is started

And this is the main timing screen;

Old 06-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

So is initial brake like positive brake expo? So the first part of the trigger is more sensitive?

It seems odd to couple initial and drag brake when they're two different things entirely. It's probably not a deal breaker, but I tend to use drag brake and push brake, and would prefer to set them independently.

That said, I guess I should send these things in and give the new software a go.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
So is initial brake like positive brake expo? So the first part of the trigger is more sensitive?

It seems odd to couple initial and drag brake when they're two different things entirely. It's probably not a deal breaker, but I tend to use drag brake and push brake, and would prefer to set them independently.

That said, I guess I should send these things in and give the new software a go.
Sounds like you've got it.
The percentage is the amount of initial brake, the different profiles have been changed a few times since v2.1 so it's probably easier to get what you're after.

I rarely very use drag brake so I've never been that bothered about using it's full potential.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Lord

Yeah, I understand. Everybody is different how they use the combination of drag and push brake. But any modern ESC really needs to decouple the two settings so that people can adjust them to their liking. Surely that's a software thing?

I love the feel of this ESC. It's smooth in a way that feels natural, unlike supposed other "smooth" ESC's. I wonder if Per would consider updating the firmware/software to make its settings a bit more modern? It's probably not worth it to them anymore, which is a shame, because they got a lot of things right with this ESC.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

You could always try emailing him.
The way the boost settings are done now is almost perfect, although it does take a bit of time and experimenting to get what you want. The brakes are a lot stronger than they were in 2.1
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

anyone have a Blinky v2.1 Black Diamond they are looking to sell? PM me if you do!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The brakes are a lot stronger. And each profile is different in feel. Read these release notes carefully, they are the secret to getting the best out of this thing. The current software is actually a lot more clever than it first seems, and IMO better than anything else out there.. I would say that, I'm biased I also use a combination of drag and push brake

Last edited by hana166; 10-11-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
The brakes are a lot stronger. And each profile is different in feel. Read these release notes carefully, they are the secret to getting the best out of this thing. The current software is actually a lot more clever than it first seems, and IMO better than anything else out there.. I would say that, I'm biased I also use a combination of drag and push brake
TFS. Cheers.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all!

Im new to 1/12 cars (mainly race 1/8 off road) does anyone have a good starting point on esc settings?
My setups going to be BD Lv, 1s lipo and 4,5t Advanced motor. I also see that some of you also run a external reciver pack, i guess its a advantage anyway when you are going 8 mins on 1s.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default New Firmware & Power Caps Available

To all those using Black Diamonds, there is now new firmware (v3.9) and a corresponding utility available from AE's website.

The new firmware allows different independant drive frequencies for forward and brake.

It also allows you to set the 'Initial brake' and 'Drag Brake' independently of each other, which is something I know drivers were asking for.

They are also now producing a power cap board that replaces the existing power cap.
It solders directly to the power solder tabs on the ESC, so resistance is reduced and the caps performance is increeased.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Quick question for Mod 1/12th drivers. How does the throttle feel of the version 2 software compare to the latest stuff? I'm not necessarily looking for a bunch of adjustability. And, I don't have the update cable anyway. Smooth throttle with 5.5t and lower is what I'm after.

I've been sitting on this ESC for over a year and have never used it. A pity, I think. It may be I'm missing out on the best feeling ESC ever..?

(I know, I know. I should just put it in and find out for myself )
Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
Quick question for Mod 1/12th drivers. How does the throttle feel of the version 2 software compare to the latest stuff? I'm not necessarily looking for a bunch of adjustability. And, I don't have the update cable anyway. Smooth throttle with 5.5t and lower is what I'm after.

I've been sitting on this ESC for over a year and have never used it. A pity, I think. It may be I'm missing out on the best feeling ESC ever..?

When I made the change to the later software in TC's I didn't notice any change in how smooth it was (it was, certainly at the time, the smoothest ESC I had ever used) I have since run it in 1/12 (only in the last 18 months), in 10.5 blinky and 4.5t mod and it still felt very smooth, even when running boost etc.

I would certainly give it a try, but it would be far better with the newer firmware.

Skiddins
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet

Or sell it to me cheap, lol I want another one for a buddy.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Tech Master

Default 'BD' for sale

I have to sell my beloved 'BD' speedo.
Have a look at what I offer here:

'ADVANCED ELECTRONICS 'BD' FOR SALE'
Old 01-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone have a decal sheet or a few stickers I could get? cant see anywhere on the site to even contact them let alone order some.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.