Wiki Posts
Search

Body wraps, whats the point?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
if you dont see a point, dont buy them
Well, thats been it so far, but now i'm getting one with the m-spec kit, so i'm gonna try it out.

@jamminkrazy: my point exactly - nice work
Old 03-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by casevac
Well, thats been it so far, but now i'm getting one with the m-spec kit, so i'm gonna try it out.

@jamminkrazy: my point exactly - nice work
Thanks! I can't take any credit other than the basic design and it's a pretty simple one at that. Chuck at Ridgeway bodies did the paint work. www.ridgewaybodies.com
Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by interplanet
I love it, if you guys want to see a real flame war go to an airplane forum and read about kits vs arfs. I fly arf's myself and barely have enough time to build them, guys say I am missing the point of the hobby by not building from a kit. I say really? I thought the whole point of rc planes was flying.

I love the paint jobs some of you guys do on here, and you guys defenitly deserve more credit than you get, but I dont have the time.
I fly as well. I don't have a lot of time and do fly some ARFS. But I can say if and when I have the time I really do enjoy building. Its another part of the hobby. Some enjoy just flying. I have to say with Aeroworks its hard to argue not building and just flying. I have a 50 size extra from them and the workmanship is very nice. I do enjoy building though when time permits. I have two planes that are not done, so I guess ARFS are my friend.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

This is my first experience with a wrap. I don't have the time or talent to paint it myself. So far there has been no peeling off and no major issues.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I only run paint, its more original. Also, wraps are way over priced. How can you justify a little buggy wrap costing almost as much as a new graphic kit for my CRF? Paint costs the same as wraps, but is truly custom and no two are a like.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
I only run paint, its more original. Also, wraps are way over priced. How can you justify a little buggy wrap costing almost as much as a new graphic kit for my CRF? Paint costs the same as wraps, but is truly custom and no two are a like.
How can you say wraps are overpriced and follow with that paint costs the same as wraps ?

Makes a lot of sense to me !
Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Easy, paint is custom and one off. Wraps can never match the detail of paint. Paint has greater value than wraps, if they both cost the same, you are getting more for your money with paint.
Also, you can usually find a very good local painter for $30-$40 that will do a way better job than a wrap.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well, here's the deal. Here in the midwest I can only get about 40 bucks for a paint job, and every one looks at me like I'm crazy if I try to charge any more than that, they'd rather rattle can a single color than pay more. And I'm not bragging or anything, but I'm pretty good at painting, so I have the luxury of being able to paint myself a nice body.

I was curious though, so I decided to make my own wrap for my 808 xray buggy. It covers the entire body 100% with no gaps, but it could use some tweaking as far as lining my design up better. I have a degree in graphic design, so I might as well use it. I had an auto wrap outfit print it out on the proper wrap material, so it's the real deal, but I have to say I still prefer a good painted body over the wrap.

the 1st buggy is a wrap, the truggy is painted and so is the last buggy picture
Attached Thumbnails Body wraps, whats the point?-wrap2.jpg   Body wraps, whats the point?-dscn2721.jpg   Body wraps, whats the point?-img_0337low.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Thats some nice paint.....dont sell out for wraps
Old 03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
Thats some nice paint.....dont sell out for wraps
I tried the wrap thing, can't say I like it. but I still can paint the body if I want 2. I'm actually painting my 2010 spec 808 body this weekend.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
well, here's the deal. Here in the midwest I can only get about 40 bucks for a paint job, and every one looks at me like I'm crazy if I try to charge any more than that, they'd rather rattle can a single color than pay more. And I'm not bragging or anything, but I'm pretty good at painting, so I have the luxury of being able to paint myself a nice body.

I was curious though, so I decided to make my own wrap for my 808 xray buggy. It covers the entire body 100% with no gaps, but it could use some tweaking as far as lining my design up better. I have a degree in graphic design, so I might as well use it. I had an auto wrap outfit print it out on the proper wrap material, so it's the real deal, but I have to say I still prefer a good painted body over the wrap.

the 1st buggy is a wrap, the truggy is painted and so is the last buggy picture
The wraps well they look like stickers oh maybe cause they are
that paint is 100 times better i think wish i could paint that good
Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Originally Posted by chickenfarmer
You may want to try ordering some from a different company?
Agreed. I have seen some pretty amazing looking wraps coming from Fastlane! Ohh...and I dont do that bad either at RC Wraps!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

Here are some nice wraps designed in the Netherlands:

http://www.customracingdecal.com/wor...e-decals-zien/
Old 03-13-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bart_Banaan
Paint makes the lexan go weak, laminating the body with a extra layer will increase the strenght and the lexan will keep it's flexibility:

what servos does this guy run?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Looks like Airtronics to me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.