New to Nitro

Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default New to Nitro

Haven't been in the RC game for quite some time, I still have an old Losi Junior T converted to XXT. Today I finally upgraded, and bought a Losi Speed NT, RTR out of the box. Now I have a few questions.

First, I went through the break in, ran four tanks at mild speeds. (the guy at Hobbytown said three should be good) Then I opened it up and WOW. Coming from an old electric, I am certainly impressed. One problem. My air filter is wet, and after the last tank of fuel, it wont start. I disconnected the fuel line and reconnected it, watching while turning it over to make sure it is getting fuel, and it is. So any ideas what might be the issue?

Second, what fits on this, as far as other rims, etc? I still have my old Losi parts (somewhere) with a whole box of tires and rims, will they work? And what about bodies? I hope I'm not limited to the bodies they show on the Losi website, because they are all the same.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlienModified
Haven't been in the RC game for quite some time, I still have an old Losi Junior T converted to XXT. Today I finally upgraded, and bought a Losi Speed NT, RTR out of the box. Now I have a few questions.

First, I went through the break in, ran four tanks at mild speeds. (the guy at Hobbytown said three should be good) Then I opened it up and WOW. Coming from an old electric, I am certainly impressed. One problem. My air filter is wet, and after the last tank of fuel, it wont start. I disconnected the fuel line and reconnected it, watching while turning it over to make sure it is getting fuel, and it is. So any ideas what might be the issue?

Second, what fits on this, as far as other rims, etc? I still have my old Losi parts (somewhere) with a whole box of tires and rims, will they work? And what about bodies? I hope I'm not limited to the bodies they show on the Losi website, because they are all the same.
Check your Glow Plug. If it is good then make sure the batts in your glow ignitor are good.. If it is getting fuel and the gow plug is working it should start..

But, break-in takes longer than 4 tanks. Most everyone goes a full gallon before leaning the engine out, or going WOT for more than a few seconds..

BTW Welcome to the world of Nitro.. Your life will never be the same..
Old 03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you air filter is wet that could be a problem. Clean it with some old nitro fuel or with water. Then reapply some air filter oil and you are good to go. I would only clean and reapply new oil 2-3 times before actually getting a new filter. I just buy a pack of 9 or more air filters and put a new one on every time I run race. Air filters are cheap so I rather make sure the filter is good. If you are going to clean and reapply oil on the filter. Put the filter into a ziplock bag, put some filter oil in the bag as well. Rub the filter around to evenly coat the filter, then get some paper towel and lightly get rid of the excess oil.

Make sure your glow plug is good. Glow Plugs can last 1 tank or over 1 gallon. So always have a couple extra glow plugs around to make sure you always have spare.

The Losi 3.4 motor states you don't need to do a full break in, but it's good to hear you did some break in tanks to be safe. I would still recommend for a couple more tanks to take it a bit easy, but you should be good.

Make sure you glow plug igniter is charge. These things can take over 12 hours to charge with the supplied charge.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the advice. I checked the glow plug, and it was heating, but not enough. I went back to the hobby store, and the guy there tested it, and it worked. Turns out, the brand new D-cell battery I was using it my heater was bad already. Now I just ran it, and all I can say is WOW. That thing is fast! Right now all I have is the street in front of my house to run it, but tomorrow I'm going to take it up to my kid's school to run it in the parking lot. I have a bad feeling I'm going to need tires soon, since I'm already smokin them.

Turning. How can I transfer weight to the front for turning on the throttle? I have to completely pull off to turn without making a wide arc.

EDIT: When can I lean it out? That thing is burning fuel really fast.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check out the following website, and they can answer all your Losi questions I use it all the time. And welcome to the Nitro world you will never want to go back to the dark side lol.
http://forum.losi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
Old 03-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Check out the following website, and they can answer all your Losi questions I use it all the time. And welcome to the Nitro world you will never want to go back to the dark side lol.
Thanks. I chose RCTech over the Losi forums because of traffic. This forum looks to be more active.