Search
Like Tree651Likes

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center

The Seattle RC Racers and WPRCCA invite all onroaders, offroaders, and rock crawlers to a public meeting at the SeaTac Community Center. These two clubs have been enlisted by the City of SeaTac Parks Department to lead in the design, construction, and operation of an RC racing facility in North SeaTac Park. This outdoor facility will be comprised of a permanent paved onroad track, a permanent dirt offroad track, and competition rock crawling area.

The meeting is scheduled for:

Saturday, March 20
10am to Noon
SeaTac Community Center
13735 24th Ave S
SeaTac, WA 98168

The purpose of the meeting is to introduce the leadership. To present the political, construction, and operating plans. To solicit input from all interested parties. And to establish a database of supporters and volunteers.

The project is still in its development phase and must pass the SeaTac city council. But, we are fortunate to have the enthusiastic sponsorship of the Director of the SeaTac Parks, who is the single most important ally we can have through the whole process. While no positive outcome can be assured, the prospects for the project are very good.

This is a unique and exciting opportunity to build a world-class RC racing facility in a public park, to make a lasting contribution to the RC racing community in the northwest, and to serve the citizens of SeaTac, without whose generous support this will not be possible.

Please join us at the meeting.

Todd Mason
President, Seattle RC Racers
Attached Thumbnails Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center-north-seatac-park-v.2.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

are those going to be big enough for 1/8 on and off road, it looks like they will be. Make it happen
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

This is a HUGE opportunity for RC racers in the PacNW. I've been exposed to mountain bike trails advocacy, and have seen projects come to fruition many many years after ideas spawn. The fact this has become a possibility so quickly is amazing.

If you can imagine yourself using this facility in any capacity, we ask that you show to the meeting. In the initial stages, strength in numbers means a LOT. Your support is priceless!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Nice to see that it is now out there for everone to see..

I believe the plans were to start with the on road track....
Start with the dirt since it is already there and the crowds will flock...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lavaandy
are those going to be big enough for 1/8 on and off road, it looks like they will be. Make it happen
I think there is a good chance for both 1/8th on and offroad but it will be for the electric versions of each. The noise of the nitro's will eliminate them unfortunately.

Steve
Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
I think there is a good chance for both 1/8th on and offroad but it will be for the electric versions of each. The noise of the nitro's will eliminate them unfortunately.

Steve
Make's almost no sense based upon the fact that the track is directly under the flight path. But hey what do I know.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Nice to see that it is now out there for everone to see..

I believe the plans were to start with the on road track....
Start with the dirt since it is already there and the crowds will flock...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
I would be nice to see both happen simultaneously but if not it would make sense to have the offroad happen first as this would be the easiest to build. It would also probably draw a bigger daily user group which I think the Parks department would be happy to see.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mkdut
Make's almost no sense based upon the fact that the track is directly under the flight path. But hey what do I know.
There used to be a bike jump park under the fight path...sometimes the planes woould get the wind whipping so hard it'd rip branches off the trees!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jubilee
There used to be a bike jump park under the fight path...sometimes the planes woould get the wind whipping so hard it'd rip branches off the trees!
Vortices coming off the wing tips are awesome.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Ah yeah, I can almost "Taste the Benzine!"

Carcinigins alure.....Me thinks the Ear plugs will find multiple uses.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

SST REST IN PEACE

Was the sickest flow park around!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

First off, thanks go out to head of the Parks Dept for Seatac for bringing this to Todd, and thanks to Todd for spear heading the effort,

however, it only makes sense to approach the city with the idea of a Temporary off road track which could be built for little or no cost to the city to show turnout numbers and interest in such a facility, One of our local hobby shop employees could give better numbers, but off road sales to on road sells has to be 15-20 to 1, looking at the inventory for the local hobby shops its pretty clear off road is more popular. for the rock crawlers, I have access to 1man and 2man rock delivered for next to nothing. I cost of getting into a off road vehicle is also much cheaper compared to on road. My thinking would be to build the temp off road track, have people come play, maybe have a organized race here and there, and then go back to the city with real numbers that would clearly show a serious interest in this race facility. Once again, all this could be done at little or no cost to the city.

one only has to compare NWIC turnout numbers to ECT turnout numbers to see the above is true, I remember when the guys at PIR (sir) posted they were going to be building an off road track, the next day, there were 15 or so of us out there helping and playing. just my thoughts, I will try and be really quite for here on out.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Offroad lends itself to "bashing" much more readily than onroad, so the sales numbers will naturally be skewed. I've had the impression that in the average hobby shop "recreational" offroad rc kits and parts are the money makers.

Also, the onroad community is currently underserved facility-wise in our area. Why would the current participant numbers to offroad compare? Why would the shops carry kits and parts with no facilities to race them?

How would a temporary offroad track necessarily translate to a positive reception for a permanent onroad track?

Apples to oranges, IMO.

As Hangar 30 has proven thus far, "If you build it, they will come."
Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Build it and we will come!!!

Like DuTemp said, under the flight path, nitro would be ok I would guess..

Stopped by the BMX park and had some race day flashbacks from when I was a kid.. This track alone is begging for some 1/8 scale action...Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center-2010-03-05-12.55.48.jpg

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center-2010-03-05-12.57.00.jpg

Seattle RC Racers/North SeaTac Racing Center-2010-03-05-12.55.27.jpg

What a perfect location, a little North and a little South.....

I am going to start saving up for a 1/8 E Buggy!!!

Kyle, BUILD IT!!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Offroad lends itself to "bashing" much more readily than onroad, so the sales numbers will naturally be skewed. I've had the impression that in the average hobby shop "recreational" offroad rc kits and parts are the money makers.

Also, the onroad community is currently underserved facility-wise in our area. Why would the current participant numbers to offroad compare? Why would the shops carry kits and parts with no facilities to race them?

How would a temporary offroad track necessarily translate to a positive reception for a permanent onroad track?

Apples to oranges, IMO.

As Hangar 30 has proven thus far, "If you build it, they will come."
Apples to oranges yes but take a look at other areas regionally as well as past history in this area and the pure racer numbers still favor off road.

Also take a look at it through the eyes of a city council person who doesn't know the difference between a Nikko and an Xray. They are going to want to see that an investment in an RC facility draws people in regardless if it's on road or off road. 15 guys out there bashing on a daily basis looks a lot better through their eyes than 30 guys showing up once a week to race.

And using the ECT and NWIC for a comparative argument is not fair as this will be an outdoor summertime facility. So a comparison of summertime outdoor on road and off road program/series would be more appropriate. Someone can chime in with the attendance numbers for the NCT(I know they are big) and then compare it to zero for a on road series. However on the flip side Fantasy Worlds numbers are up against nothing on an outdoor program comparison.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to switch back over to offroad(yet) however, if you were a business owner(city council) starting up a dual purpose on/off road facility would you not want to invest in the program that offered the fastest return on investment(number of users) first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.