Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Exotek Chassis?? >

Exotek Chassis??

Exotek Chassis??

Old 12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hey guys I just got the EXOTEK EX05 chassis and wanted to know if anyone has a decent setup for a asphalt track that would not mind to share with me. I tried just about everything and anything this past weekend and the car has a really bad push coming out of a turn. The minute I touch the throttle car wants to spinout. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestion from everyone and thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

tried to buy the xray 009 chassis today but can't get onto the payment page?
Please could you put one on ebay with a battery strap with postage to the uk?
If this is not possible could you let me know how to get your website working
I belive i met you in San Diego while i was working out there as i was racing in a parking lot with the Krazy Kevin shops crew, i was running a rc18r with a exotek chassis. This was back in november 08- feb 09, along time ago but still fresh in my memory. I am a team driver for rcis in florida now and am always looking for new sponsorships to promote their products, hope to speak soon.
Many thanks Jay.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

so I opted to buy this conversion since my stock chassis has worn down on my cyclone tc. I have been running the conversion for a few months now. I would say the car has been more consistent and predictable to push the car faster around the track. Also the belt flipping made it much easier to balance out the car.

I did find the car to be to flexy on a high bite track, so I opted to use the 2.5mm upper deck to compensate. I ended up buying the battery strap also. Got tired of constantly taping batteries.

overall I am happy with the purchase
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Pulled the pin on an EX05 deck, seems to be significantly more expensive than other chassis on there, is there any plan to have an all in one top deck for those of us who change the IFS suspension for a more traditional layout? At present it looks like the front plastic brace has to stay put and it makes it all look a tad cheap.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Received the Exotek deck the other day and am regretting my decision already, the finish wasn't the best, around the centre pulley area there were chunks missing from the Chassis, upon emailing exotek the reply I got was IMO dismissive at best.

That is simply cutting dust stuck onto the edges. When the CNC router bit cuts the CF the cutting dust gets super heated and sticks to some inside edges when spun off the routing bit. Even with a high power vacuum system the speeds of the dust flying off can cause this on inside cut outs because there is no place for the dust to go. Even my $500 Xray T'11 has this straight from the Xray box. All it takes to knock the dust off is rub a small screw driver or X-acto blade against the caked dust. It will clean right up.

Thank You,

Mike Rydwell

The images I present to you all show it's not just dust, it's chunks missing from the chassis, two very different things.

Considering I paid $160 USD shipped for this deck and battery holders shipped to Australia what should I do?
Attached Thumbnails Exotek Chassis??-img_0002.jpg   Exotek Chassis??-img_0003.jpg   Exotek Chassis??-img_0004.jpg   Exotek Chassis??-img_0005.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Received the Exotek deck the other day and am regretting my decision already, the finish wasn't the best, around the centre pulley area there were chunks missing from the Chassis, upon emailing exotek the reply I got was IMO dismissive at best.

That is simply cutting dust stuck onto the edges. When the CNC router bit cuts the CF the cutting dust gets super heated and sticks to some inside edges when spun off the routing bit. Even with a high power vacuum system the speeds of the dust flying off can cause this on inside cut outs because there is no place for the dust to go. Even my $500 Xray T'11 has this straight from the Xray box. All it takes to knock the dust off is rub a small screw driver or X-acto blade against the caked dust. It will clean right up.

Thank You,

Mike Rydwell

The images I present to you all show it's not just dust, it's chunks missing from the chassis, two very different things.

Considering I paid $160 USD shipped for this deck and battery holders shipped to Australia what should I do?
Mike's a very straight up guy - maybe send him the pics of what you're talking about and he might have a better understanding of what you're talking about

I have several of his chassis and never seen something like that - it might look a little ugly, but doesn't look like it'll effect performance of the car
Old 06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus

Thank You,

Mike Rydwell

I would sent the product back for replacement...it isn't what you paid for it...it is a poor workmanship...
Old 06-18-2011, 06:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by k_bojar
Mike's a very straight up guy - maybe send him the pics of what you're talking about and he might have a better understanding of what you're talking about

I have several of his chassis and never seen something like that - it might look a little ugly, but doesn't look like it'll effect performance of the car
I'm sorry but I am just not seeing that, IMO it's a bit sloppy particularly considering the price (heck a BNIP TA05 is only $200ish, thinking I should have flogged my TA05 on Ebay and bought a TC6 now )

Latest email:

Those 'chunks' are machined cut outs. Please see the attachments as reference. The dust might have obscured that but those cut outs are in place to allow the square corners of the motor mount to seat into the chassis. The chassis is cut with a CNC router- you cannot obtain square corners through the machining process so extra material must be removed in those areas for the square parts to fit into.

I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with this, just have to suck it up I guess, I could do the Paypal claim thing but just more f... around for something that's supposed to be fun.

...chalk this up as lesson learnt! It's a shame, I had bought a TC5 Exotek a yr or so ago (and it was a lot cheaper) and it was flawless, so I went back on this car, but it's left me with a decidedly bitter aftertaste this time.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just got one for my xray and it looks fine! I am surprised by your pictures.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Am I missing something in the pics that were posted by Brad?? I was communicating with decorum with Brad R I thought via email (quickly and on weekends I might add) but I guess what I was saying made no sense??

Does this FULL email and the attached photos seem a fair and honest assessment after Brad thought that the chassis had missing chunks...

From Brad;

I’m sorry this is not merely cutting disc dust, it’s chunks missing from the Chassis. I can live with residual dust to clean off, and that’s not what my pictures show.

My reply;

Brad,

Those 'chunks' are machined cut outs. Please see the attachments as reference. The dust might have obscured that but those cut outs are in place to allow the square corners of the motor mount to seat into the chassis. The chassis is cut with a CNC router- you cannot obtain square corners through the machining process so extra material must be removed in those areas for the square parts to fit into.

I hope the attached clears it up. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank You,

Mike R

....end email

Fyi- the red circles in the cad file are the supposed 'chunks'. They are in fact added cut outs for the purpose described in my email.

Also we have a stated satisfaction policy here;

http://www41.instantestore.net/merchant10762/faq.cfm

I have no problems at all with refunds or exchanges if the customer just asks for it... the whole thing seems pretty strange if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails Exotek Chassis??-ex05-final-6-10.jpg   Exotek Chassis??-dsc_0373.jpg  

Last edited by MikeR; 06-18-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ok 2nd pic clarifies it (didn't receive pics in email)

So seems fine, my bad however but emails were a bit unclear.

Would like to see a top deck for non IFS suspesnion?

Last edited by nexxus; 06-19-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Nexxus i can see the dust. I think you owe someone an apology!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Guys I need a little help. I have a T3 and was thinking about buying one of the exotek chassis for it but, do I really need it......

My lipo fits the car just fine and it handles great the way it is. I race r.ubber on a prepared parking lot track. I'm running stock 17.5 and boosted 17.5 class's with the same car.

Will my car handle that much better with an Exotek chassis??

Any opinions or suggestions?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default tcx

I would like some help too. I just bought a tcx. I mostly run 13.5 out prepared parking lot. In winter ozlite carpet 17.5 non boost. I have tc5x but never really run it. My question is :what are the benefits if I change to exotek chasis on my tcx.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT

Originally Posted by Big Midget
Guys I need a little help. I have a T3 and was thinking about buying one of the exotek chassis for it but, do I really need it......

My lipo fits the car just fine and it handles great the way it is. I race r.ubber on a prepared parking lot track. I'm running stock 17.5 and boosted 17.5 class's with the same car.

Will my car handle that much better with an Exotek chassis??

Any opinions or suggestions?
Big Midget,I just bought two XRAY T2 007s and put the Exotek chassis on both cars.For me this was one of the best R/C moves I have ever made.It beats buying a new car and then buying all the spare arm,carriers,and all the other things that it would take to to go racing.Its funny because my friend that owned on of the T2s that I buoght,saw the car after the conversion and had me find him another 007 and he put the conversion on.I got a some setup help this past Saturday and drove from 8th to 2nd in the main....It works.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.