Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
losi balancer qustions. >

losi balancer qustions.

losi balancer qustions.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default losi balancer qustions.

just got my losi precision tire balancer today,i had checked out the video on u tube with drake and he showed and said once u get the right amount of weight(clay) where u need it the tire will not rock back and forth,just roll smooth.well in my directions for the balancer it states once you put on the clay(say u put it on at the twelve o'clock mark or top of the wheel as it rest on the balancer) the tire should roll to the 3 o'clock position or half way between the top and bottom if the weight is good,all my tires due this ,but they will rock back and forth and settle at 3 o'clock(half way between top and bottom),is this ok,or is drake right. help.

Last edited by bigguyrc8; 02-16-2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: wrong
Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigguyrc8
just got my losi precision balancer today,i had checked out the video on u tube with drake and he showed and said once u get the right amount of weight(clay) where u need it the tire will not rock back and forth,just roll smooth.well in my directions for the balancer it states once you put on the clay(say u put it on at the twelve o'clock mark or top of the wheel as it rest on the balancer) the tire should roll to the 3 o'clock position or half way between the top and bottom if the weight is good,all my tires due this ,but they will rock back and forth and settle at 3 o'clock(half way between top and bottom),is this ok,or is drake right. help.
please dont only take my opinion because i could not be right, but from what i understand it needs to roll smooth and never stop at the same point twice in a row. if it stops and your clay at 3 or 9 i would say you have TWO heavy spots
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Tire Balance

When you let the tire settle on the balancer, the heaviest spot on the tire will be at the bottom, thus you need to add enough weight (clay)to equal that weight, and that is why after you put clay at the 12 o clock position then the clay will be "BALANCED" when it rest at the 3 or 9 o clock position.
If the clay rest at the bottom after adding it then you have too much on the tire.If the clay rest at the 1 o clock position there still is not enough on the rim.
The clay will represent the lightest spot of the tire prior to installing the clay.
So after installing the clay, the area that is 90 degrees from the clay spot will be the lightest part of the tire.
Hope this doesnt confuse you more.
Tom
Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

that would seem right but here is what the instructions say(once the clay is in place)#7 spin the tire slowly to see if the tire is now balanced.the tire is fully balanced when the balancing weight is halfway between the top and bottom as shown.(thats where the pic shows the clay at 3 o'clock)this may take some time to get correct as more or less balancing clay is needed to make the tire perfectly balanced. thats what it said.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

True, it should not stop at the same place. Even if it slows down to almost a complete stop and continues to turn more it is off. It is a art, it becomes easier every time you do it.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

i got all that tom ,my prob. is the losi video claims the tire should roll smooth and not rock ,mine due rock but always come back to 3 o'clock; is this ok?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

I think it is a little mis leading.
If you put enough clay on the tire to have the clay settle into the 3 or 9 o clock position. ( i put clay on the lightest spot and then rotate the tire to the 3 o clock position and see where the tire rotates too, does it fall to the bottom (heavy)or does it rise back to the top (light) )
If you have the right amount of clay added to the rim then when you spin the tire it will not have a spot that it goes to all of the time. I will stop where ever it wants because it is balanced.
Tom
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Adept

think i'll go with the smooth roll and not the rock,makes more seance to me,way would the tire stop in the same place every time ? because it is heavy in a place and that means not balanced,but what about those f^^k**-up instructions.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Bigguy,
I have only ran into that problem with a certain tire manufacture, it was a truggy tire and the foams would rotate in the tire after running and throw off the balance.
Pain in the butt !
Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

i went back and did all my tires agian,the right way(no back and forth rock,and the hell with the instructions)and u guys were right .i could tell the differance in the tire when i spun them on the balancer. thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Bigguy,
Glad you got it to work for you.
I balance everything i own.

Tom
Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry to hack your thread but I thought this would be a good time to ask what balancers people recommend. The Dynamites the cheapest but I heard it can stand up on it's own with a truggy tire on it. So if thats true it would be a pain. The other three I was looking at was the Losi, Hudy, and Fioroni. The Losi is the cheapest of the three and the Fioroni is the most expensive.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Dubro prop balancer with a 17mm hub in it. works great. Just put in a movie or sit on the net and do the balancing. Like i am now.