Motor cooling fan >

Motor cooling fan

Motor cooling fan

Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Motor cooling fan

I have a couple of questions for those of you using fans on their motors:

I plan on mounting the MuchMore fan I bought behind my motor, blowing towards it. I've got two questions:

1) Should I mount it directly to my heat sink, or an inch or so behind the motor? I think mounting it further back would spread the airflow over the can better, and I've read having it too close to the motor's magnetism can affect the fan. Mounting it off the motor will also allow me to use a larger heat sink, rather than the kind of puny Muchmore heatsink.

2) Plug it into the receiver or solder it to the battery posts on the ESC?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

You want a small amount of space between the fan and the heatsink, 1 or 2 mm is enough. I dont have the heatsink your using so I cannot say how well it works with or without a fan. If you wire direct to the esc posts the fan will run much faster than conected to the rec. I run mine this way (wired to the esc), if nothing else you'll get alot of looks from the other drivers due to the fan noise at the starting line.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I actually have two heat sinks. One has holes to directly mount the fan to it. It is small and doesn't really have much in the way of surface area or cooling fins. Then my other heatsink (the one I've been using) has large fins and much more surface area.

I am leaning towards using the larger heatsink, with the fan mounting a little bit behind it, and wiring the fan directly to the posts to get the most power out of it.