Wiki Posts
Search

Issue running Novak motor with Tekin RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Issue running Novak motor with Tekin RS

Hello all. I recently picked up a RS/10.5 combo (NIB). I'm trying to run the speedo with a sensored Novak 17.5 SS pro motor. The problem I'm having is that the motor "locks up" around zero rpm at random times. Takes a lot of throttle to get off this locked condition. Installed the 10.5 Tekin motor and had no issues. Tried a different Novak 17.5 with the same problem. I'm running v203 software if it matters.

Anyone else have this issue? I assume buying a Redline motor will solve the problem, but I'd rather not buy another motor if I don't have to..
Old 02-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Should work fine. Sounds like a sensor wire problem but it would be weird that the sensor wire on two motors would be bad. Double check you had the sensor wire plugged in. It will run without a sensor wire but not well.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Novak comes with 30 degrees of timing at it's neutral point. If you are running to much timing in the speedy combined with this it may have problems.

I was trying a 10.5 Novak on the weekend and left the motor at the N spot and instead of running 50 or so timing in the speedy I ran 40 and car was quick with no cog or heat issues
Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by csracing
Hello all. I recently picked up a RS/10.5 combo (NIB). I'm trying to run the speedo with a sensored Novak 17.5 SS pro motor. The problem I'm having is that the motor "locks up" around zero rpm at random times. Takes a lot of throttle to get off this locked condition. Installed the 10.5 Tekin motor and had no issues. Tried a different Novak 17.5 with the same problem. I'm running v203 software if it matters.

Anyone else have this issue? I assume buying a Redline motor will solve the problem, but I'd rather not buy another motor if I don't have to..
Never had any issues with Novak motors (either SS or Ballistic) with the RS, in either 1s or 2s deployments (1/12 and TC). I'm running V203 in both.

Do you have the motor type set to BL-FW? When this happens, with the RS turned on, if you manually turn the motor shaft (by turning the spur by hand), do the three LEDs on the RS indicate that it is seeing all three motor sensors (they come on very dimly). They should come on in sequence as you turn the motor by hand. How hot is the motor when this happens? Is the ESC or motor thermalling?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Never had any issues with Novak motors (either SS or Ballistic) with the RS, in either 1s or 2s deployments (1/12 and TC). I'm running V203 in both.

Do you have the motor type set to BL-FW? When this happens, with the RS turned on, if you manually turn the motor shaft (by turning the spur by hand), do the three LEDs on the RS indicate that it is seeing all three motor sensors (they come on very dimly). They should come on in sequence as you turn the motor by hand. How hot is the motor when this happens? Is the ESC or motor thermalling?
Motor type is BL-FW. Haven't tried turning the motor by hand, I'll check that and report back. The motor runs very cool (100 degrees maybe) at all times as I have a fan on it and am pretty soft on gearing. It does this at any time including when you first start running, so I really doubt it's temperature related.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by B4james
Novak comes with 30 degrees of timing at it's neutral point. If you are running to much timing in the speedy combined with this it may have problems.

I was trying a 10.5 Novak on the weekend and left the motor at the N spot and instead of running 50 or so timing in the speedy I ran 40 and car was quick with no cog or heat issues
I've tried running the motor with very little timing as well as a lot of timing with no change. I run 40 degees in the ESC programming.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

N timing (30 degrees) on the Novak motor shouldn't be a problem if geared correctly. If you remove too much timing from the Novak (say go to 0) then it doesn't like that.

With the SS timing is hard to tell though.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

what happens if you use minimal settings on sensored mode, or even dual mode, cant remember what modes they have as it was a while when I had the tekin.

cross my fingers the 203 will work with all my novak ss motors as thats what I plan on running.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
When this happens, with the RS turned on, if you manually turn the motor shaft (by turning the spur by hand), do the three LEDs on the RS indicate that it is seeing all three motor sensors (they come on very dimly). They should come on in sequence as you turn the motor by hand.
Confirmed to be working as expected.

Seems wierd that it does it with 2 different 17.5 SS motors but is flawless with the 10.5 redline in the same vehicle..
Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Confirmed to be working as expected.

Seems wierd that it does it with 2 different 17.5 SS motors but is flawless with the 10.5 redline in the same vehicle..
have you tried the 2 different 17.5ss motors in another speed control?

I see many people damaging sensor wires simply by pulling at the wires, rather than pulling by the plug.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by captain stacker
have you tried the 2 different 17.5ss motors in another speed control?

I see many people damaging sensor wires simply by pulling at the wires, rather than pulling by the plug.
Both motors work fine on Novak ESCs. I've checked the wires in the plug as well. No damage that I can see.

I'll probably put a novak esc back in for racing this week since I've had some issues where I've been "stuck" for a second or 2 which usually ends in getting hit.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Both motors work fine on Novak ESCs. I've checked the wires in the plug as well. No damage that I can see.

I'll probably put a novak esc back in for racing this week since I've had some issues where I've been "stuck" for a second or 2 which usually ends in getting hit.
Run them on the Tekin without the sensor and see what it does.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mikky32
Run them on the Tekin without the sensor and see what it does.
I ran the current motor w/o the sensor wire, but not in a racing environment. Cogs a fair amount from a stop, but still "works".
Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Tech Regular

i would say check the tekin setups on there site and pay special attention to the gearing.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fullout
i would say check the tekin setups on there site and pay special attention to the gearing.

The setup I'm running came directly from Randy Pike @ Tekin. I have an email it to Tekin support, but thought I'd fish for advice here as well. I'll have to wait to hear back from Tekin to see what their take is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.