Wiki Posts
Search

Sealing carb and backplate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Sealing carb and backplate?

What is the best thing to use to seal up the carb and backplate?
thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just picked up thise engine sealant from Joe at Lucky7.

http://www.lucky7rc.com/product_info...roducts_id=247

and thed customer service is second to none.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TKO carries Lucky 7 as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Permatex Ultra Copper; Find it at any auto parts store only $3.00.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PopyUFy6j34
Old 02-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Lucky 7 is the only thing you should use on (not in) our nitro engines..... cant tell you how many times I've dug silicone out of someone engine they cant get to tune....

Lucky 7 is a "wicking" sealant.... meaning run it around the seams you want to seal with the engine ASSEMBLED..... dont get it anywhere near the internals of the engine or it will "wick" its way inside and make a mess. The video is the correct way to fill your engine will sealant lol typical mag editors mis-using yet another product........That little bottle will last you several years

Last edited by Tony Newland; 02-07-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Lucky 7 is the only thing you should use on (not in) our nitro engines..... cant tell you how many times I've dug silicone out of someone engine they cant get to tune....

Lucky 7 is a "wicking" sealant.... meaning run it around the seams you want to seal with the engine ASSEMBLED..... dont get it anywhere near the internals of the engine or it will "wick" its way inside and make a mess. The video is the correct way to fill your engine will sealant lol typical mag editors mis-using yet another product........That little bottle will last you several years

With all due respect, but how did people seal their nitro engines the 15-20
years before Lucky 7 came out? I have been using permatex copper for over
12 years with out any problems.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Lucky 7 is just one name for Air Seal.....been available for years!

One bottle will seal about 100 engines!

Tony's right.......seal assembled!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Ive use RTV Ultra Grey since the 90's. (Dang Im getting old) and have never had a problem. But it really doesnt matter what you use as long as you use it correctly and spairingly. Yes you will be digging out goop from you engine if you try to coat the whole thing. just use a knife or toothpick or somthing like that to apply it.

Here comes a warning lable:

Please follow the manufacturers recomendations when using said product.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself.

applying Lucky 7 sealant to ANY internal components is a bad idea, and is not recommended.
After the carb is set to the correct angle and pinch bolt is tight, I seal around the carb base, and pinch bolt ends, I'll also neatly seal around the High speed needle assembly, after the nipple is tightened down to the angle I want. As Tony already mentioned its a wicking sealant so it'll easily work its way around and into the tight areas.

With all due respect most silicone has a bad reaction to nitro fuel.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Permatex has Stated they DO NOT have a single product in their line up that is Nitromethanol Proof....it May appear to be sealed but over time the bond will fail....there Are Nitro Proof silicone's that are just as cheap as RTV but Are 100% nitro proof...>Racer's edge is one of them....or my favorite Three bond 1211 which is a bit more expensive but imo a better product in the end result.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Ive never needed to seal a backplate unless the oring was damaged or the wrong size... I usually only do the pinch-bolt and sometimes around the carb boot. But any sealant will hurt more than help if applied incorrectly.

Lucky 7 is thin enough you can drop it in the seam you want to seal and "walk" it around like gluing tires.... when I watched that vid of Waldork and Bess putting it underneath the carb I had to laugh, the sealant had to be around the crank and bearings by the time they got it back in a car

I believe Racers Choice and Lucky 7 are the same stuff.... if not its very close. So dont do it like in the vid
Old 02-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have talked to some of the experienced guys at the track and to the people at the lhs, I have a lot say to not bother sealing my motors. They say its a waste of time and if there does happen to be an air leak, to just replace the o-ring in question. Anybody on here prefer to not seal their motors?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

Lucky 7
Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

I seal any engine I run(cheap insurance) I also use the permatex RTV sealant. I feel used in the RIGHT amount, it won't get into the internals. I apply with a toothpick VERRY small bead( it spreads with the torque of the bolts) Make sure all treated surfaces are cleaned throughly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.