Search

Sealing carb and backplate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokinu
joe himself beat me to it. lol.

frank that lucky 7 stuff is awesome, and order through joe a (lucky7rc.com) and get a discount with terribles.! i get all my airfilter and stuff like that from him!

Thanks smoke. Joe is a great guy he has helped me many times and never given me bad info. Every time he says it works it just does.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Thanks smoke. Joe is a great guy he has helped me many times and never given me bad info. Every time he says it works it just does.
thats why i support him, he knows his stuff!

that lucky7 sealant is what i use on all my engines, now if i could stop having clutch problems, (solved that with a losi style 4shoe for my kyosho)

i should be good to go!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
You mean the orange colored Permatex Ultra Copper #101BR this is nitro
proof (safe) it will not dissolve like other RTV's. R/C Nitro Magazine recommended it's use to seal nitro engines years ago. (ask Steve P)
Lucky 7 is probably a great product, but I'm a "old schooler" I don't mind
disassembling an engine and applying the sealer by hand.
None of the Permatex RTV are nitro proof...some may resist nitro to a degree, but none are truly nitro proof.....
Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
You mean the orange colored Permatex Ultra Copper #101BR this is nitro
proof (safe) it will not dissolve like other RTV's. R/C Nitro Magazine recommended it's use to seal nitro engines years ago. (ask Steve P)
Lucky 7 is probably a great product, but I'm a "old schooler" I don't mind
disassembling an engine and applying the sealer by hand.

permatex does not have a Single product in their line up that is Nitro proof ( ask a rep )....it may be nitro resistant but in the application of thin layer's it WILL fail....Three bond 1211, Racers Edge carb sealant or Lucky 7 are 10000X better products and do the intended job.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Prophet

i used the cooper orange rtv sealent,,, on my engine and never had any fuel leak out or anything like that.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default I like

the blue or black high temp stuff by permatex. Been using it for like 20 years, so, it works fine....
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Ive never needed to seal a backplate unless the oring was damaged or the wrong size... I usually only do the pinch-bolt and sometimes around the carb boot. But any sealant will hurt more than help if applied incorrectly.

Lucky 7 is thin enough you can drop it in the seam you want to seal and "walk" it around like gluing tires.... when I watched that vid of Waldork and Bess putting it underneath the carb I had to laugh, the sealant had to be around the crank and bearings by the time they got it back in a car

I believe Racers Choice and Lucky 7 are the same stuff.... if not its very close. So dont do it like in the vid

Just FYI the sealant I use has never wicked into the engine. When I apply it to the carb neck and push the carb into the block, the sealant collects around the o-ring area below the carb body and above the engine block, making a nice ring of sealant that wicks and cures where I want it. I've only done about 100 engines this way and never had one engine w/sealant inside. Sorry you're misinformed. The Racers Choice sealant I use is thick, almost like toothpaste. From what I understand the Lucky 7 is watery and very thin, not the same stuff I use.

Glad you got a laugh...guess you're laughing at yourself now.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Why not just replace the backplate and carb o rings every 3-4 gallons??
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Tech Regular

Because sealing protects from imperfections in the carb & block that can cause leaks. Torn o-rings can happen any time (though rarely) and sealant is just a simple precaution against the unforseen.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

You can put a tire glue straw in the end of the Lucky 7 bottle if you need to get into tight spots or need better accuracy.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i don't feel the need to seal my engine anymore. As long as you bolt it up properly and orings, bearings, carb boot etc, you will never have a problem. I have had engine sealant find it's way into the engine before. Probably my bad, but don't ever want to take the risk again. And that was only puting the sealant on the outside of the engine parts.

and i never get a air leak. If you know how to tighten bolts in the proper order and tighten all bolts especially the pinch bolt with the proper torque you should not get a airleak.

it would be cool if they made a torque allen wrench for our little engines
Old 04-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
I have had engine sealant find it's way into the engine before. Probably my bad, but don't ever want to take the risk again. And that was only puting the sealant on the outside of the engine parts.

and i never get a air leak.
ur funny dude...
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
i don't feel the need to seal my engine anymore. As long as you bolt it up properly and orings, bearings, carb boot etc, you will never have a problem. I have had engine sealant find it's way into the engine before. Probably my bad, but don't ever want to take the risk again. And that was only puting the sealant on the outside of the engine parts.

and i never get a air leak. If you know how to tighten bolts in the proper order and tighten all bolts especially the pinch bolt with the proper torque you should not get a airleak.

it would be cool if they made a torque allen wrench for our little engines

Sealing engines is sometimes a must....with the attitude of never sealing an engine your going to find many days your having unexplained tuning issues.... I have been running nitro since the mid 80's and I feel strongly that engines should be sealed......
Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
ur funny dude...

I concur.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Sealing engines is sometimes a must....with the attitude of never sealing an engine your going to find many days your having unexplained tuning issues.... I have been running nitro since the mid 80's and I feel strongly that engines should be sealed......
ditto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.