Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC3 v. TC4 (and parts availability)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC3 v. TC4 (and parts availability)

Hi all...just getting going again, and considering options to build a VTA car. I loved my TC3's, and I see some people still use them. Is this car around enough that parts are still easily available? If yes, how about the TC4...are they significantly different? One person told me that a TC4 is just a RTR version of a TC3, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I want to build a TC5 for TC, but if an inexpensive TC3 can be had and is a viable VTA candidate, I might do both.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Hi all...just getting going again, and considering options to build a VTA car. I loved my TC3's, and I see some people still use them. Is this car around enough that parts are still easily available? If yes, how about the TC4...are they significantly different? One person told me that a TC4 is just a RTR version of a TC3, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I want to build a TC5 for TC, but if an inexpensive TC3 can be had and is a viable VTA candidate, I might do both.

Thanks!
The TC3 and TC4 are both perfect for VTA. I have owned both and currently own and run a TC4 in VTA. Parts are still available and many shops keep these in stock as the TC3 is a REALLY popular VTA car.

As far as the differences between the TC3 and TC4 there are many..it is definitely NOT a RTR version of the TC3 I prefer the steering rack and camber mounts on the TC4 but you can use the TC4 chassis braces with with the vertical mounts on the TC3 as they will bolt right on as will the wider shock towers. Which ever one you choose just be sure to pick up a Parma bumper for it as it will save you a lot of front end parts, especially on the TC4 as the stock on is quite small and offers no protection on the front corners.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Parts for the TC3 and TC4 can be purchased directly from Associated using their website (http://order.aeteam.net/Products.asp?categorycode=3040). It doesn't look like they sell the chassis for the TC3, but they had pretty much every other part. The prices are the same as what I see in my local hobbyshop, and some parts are on clearance or less.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Hey guys, thanks for the info!

One follow-up question. Say I'm looking for a used TC4. Was there a RTR version that I should avoid? Or, is there a particualr version I should be looking for?

I almost bought a Diggity Designs custom chassis TC3 on Ebay last night, but i have decided to stay with what I know (knew), and that's the TC3/TC4 for a VTA car.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Hey guys, thanks for the info!

One follow-up question. Say I'm looking for a used TC4. Was there a RTR version that I should avoid? Or, is there a particualr version I should be looking for?

I almost bought a Diggity Designs custom chassis TC3 on Ebay last night, but i have decided to stay with what I know (knew), and that's the TC3/TC4 for a VTA car.
Good choice, some of the older diggity stuff isn't lipo friendly. As far as buying a TC4 goes just look for the team kit or Factory Team, They are very different as the factory team has a carbon bottom and top plate. Myself I prefer the tubby car for rubber tire racing, having threaded shocks is convenient also both are features of the team kit, the RTR version doesn't have threaded shocks.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks very much for the info.

You guys on this forum are making it very easy for me to figure out directions to go on stuff as I get back into this, and I appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

The older Diggity Designs v1 kit can be made lipo friendly though. I guess I'm just a for fun driver, not a racer, but this solution seems to work pretty good. It's an RC-Monster lipo tray (CRT.5 model) and it mounts perfectly in the stock battery brace holes with no extra mods of the tray or chassis.

Sorry to get off-topic, just wanted to post since he mentioned looking at the Diggity kits.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks!
come by the track Sunday, and I'll show you what a RTR TC3 can do against Xrays,TC5's,and anything else running...
Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
come by the track Sunday, and I'll show you what a RTR TC3 can do against Xrays,TC5's,and anything else running...
I'm gonna be out there for sure. I really loved my TC3, so to hear that they can still be competitive is great news (since I'm on a strict budget for a while especially).
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm gonna be out there for sure. I really loved my TC3, so to hear that they can still be competitive is great news (since I'm on a strict budget for a while especially).

cool cya there