Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

www.rcmodel.com.hk
Old 03-24-2002, 06:25 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally posted by fraz
The rims don't have to be 30, they can be 32 as well. the rule book has an error and ROAR acknowledged that prior to last years nats. FWIW, nobody was running 32's at that race. The only people running anything besides 26/28 were a couple of Yokomo team guys with prototype a-arms, dogbones, and a couple of other things to narrow the rear of the car who were running 30's and they were in the legal 200mm width. These parts are now available to the masses but at the time they weren't.

This does not mean ROAR won't change it's mind and throw up a new rule change within the next 30 seconds because this has happened before too. The modification to the .12 crank rule comes to mind.

BTW, there was a "rumor" cycling around last year that Mike Queller was DQ'ing people for running 32's at his home track in Texas after this decision was made. Upon further investigation, he had DQ'd them for going over the 200mm width and the 32mm tires happened to be what did it.
for the record i was running a 32mm wide tire on my unmodified serpent impulse at last years nats.... i ran the new crc rim cut down to mak it legal( they are 35mm+ out of the box), and all the cutting needed to come from the outside.....also the rule book says 1.26(wheel 1.19) inches, i have yet to see any metric reference, and you can also run wider front tires if you wish, good luck getting them to fit...

elligi,treads,mugan,serpent foams all the same manufacturer, this goes for zaks also i am not posotive on the zaks, but by the packaging............ you can get the elligi for around 14-16 a pair, and the compund and quality is alot better than the jakos.......
you can get elligi from speedtech, ashford, eetc all around that price.......

oh the modifacation to the .12 rule was never or has been never posted in rev up or the roar website or in the rulebook so therefore it does not exsist...fyi

stick with the facts not the talk and rumors..
Old 03-24-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

drew you know I'm not going close to that 12 thing as I certainly have that covered.

for what its worth the Ironic part is I was told that most of the rubber we are using that comes in durometer shores comes from a japanese manufacturer through mugen and then back to manufacturers like ellegi, tread, and the like. It is a small world.

the only part where it gets wiredo is when you start talking colored foam like purple and that stuff is synthetic rubber not natural. shore kind of becomes irrelevant with that stuff because its texture makes it act totally different than a natural rubber tire which is graded with a number like 35 or 40 duro

I do like the zaks as they have kick butt rims.

32 zaks will go on front and rear on a TC3 and maintain 200 MM
32 zaks fit the rear of the mugen too you have to use the inner roll center point though and can still maintain 200 MM on stock parts.
Since I am a target I will be trimming them to 30. LOL

Last edited by Motorman; 03-24-2002 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:52 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

the trick to the rubber too is that front and rear is different, i think that is where the synthtic/natural comes to play, because a 35 front and a 35 rear are different compounds( you can tell on the truer)... and that is were the puple double purples start running into issues????... i am with you on the 30, i get enough greif with the RTU on the top of the head why ask for more.....
Old 03-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

As far as I know, most of the foam comes from GRP, Ganinni Racing or something like that out of Italy. They provide foam for : Elleigi, Fast Tires, Power, Arrow(I think, maybe not), Treads. It is all the same foam...ever notice the same box, different colors, ever notice they all have GRP logos on it?

As fas as fronts being for fronts and rears being for rears...Foam is cooked in batches. Each batch has a slightly different list of ingredients. You know these batches as colors (blue, purple, red, etc). These are designed to heat up at different rates. For instance red will heat up slower than purple. Therefore, you want to get the foam that heats up slower on the front of the car. This way you will not hook in the turns because the front has heated faster than the rear and gives you too much front traction. From there the foam is then graded by shore ratings. This is the 'hardness' (called shore) of the foam. It is very possible to have a 36 purple and a 38 pink.

As far as the durometers. They are not all created equal and not everyone uses the same scale. I think the 'standard' scale is micro A with a square pin. However, Paris has come up with a durometer that is the industry standard. The tires listed above us it as well as TRC. Those shore ratings are consistent from brand to brand. I found that Jaco uses a micro C scale and is about 10 points harder than other. I do not know what the Max Mod durometer scale is. I would assume it is something close to micro A. You can get the Paris durometer at www.ashfordhobbies.com

I have found that the best time to get an accurate shore rating is give the tires a fresh cut, run a few hard laps to get the tires to temp, then put the durometer on them.

Simple right?

Last edited by raffaelli; 03-25-2002 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Motorman

I do like the zaks as they have kick butt rims.

32 zaks will go on front and rear on a TC3 and maintain 200 MM
32 zaks fit the rear of the mugen too you have to use the inner roll center point though and can still maintain 200 MM on stock parts.
Since I am a target I will be trimming them to 30. LOL
Motorman,
Zacs 32mm will fit the Mugen rear with no problems? Wont it rub the uprights since its too wide? Whats a good shore combo for an apshalt track anyway?
Old 03-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its real close and you need the 1 mm spacers. never hurts to trim the upright a squeek. I'm cutting mine to 30 and since 5 inches of snow is going to fall down from the sky tonight I havent been able to test much yet this year. I cant recommend a combo yet for you, but Purple TRC's rear and 40 ellegi's front works killer on the mugen
Old 03-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

So many different points it is hard to choose.
Thank you everyone. I will be tring the FastTire and Elligi first and see how they work.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mugen Fast tires

I just tried the fast tires and love them. I ran 42/37 in upper 50 degree weather and the car was seriously glue. I like them better than the yok's for the moment. Maybe i didn't get the right combo yet. Next i have to see about them zac's.