Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Texas racer having cold weather trouble... >

Texas racer having cold weather trouble...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Texas racer having cold weather trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Texas racer having cold weather trouble...

I raced in 25 degree wheather and my car was a handfull. It had too much front brake due to the center diff being stiff from the cold, the shocks were too stiff and it made my car handle terrible. I was thinking that going lighter in the center by 3,000, from 10,000 to 7,000. And the front shocks from 50 wt to 40 and the rear from 40 to 35....We don't have many races in the cold but when we do I can se that changes need to be made. Any ideas from guys who run up north?????
Old 02-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
I raced in 25 degree wheather and my car was a handfull. It had too much front brake due to the center diff being stiff from the cold, the shocks were too stiff and it made my car handle terrible. I was thinking that going lighter in the center by 3,000, from 10,000 to 7,000. And the front shocks from 50 wt to 40 and the rear from 40 to 35....We don't have many races in the cold but when we do I can se that changes need to be made. Any ideas from guys who run up north?????
Wow... I don't run my TRUGGY that stiff on shocks in warm weather... (ok, in the front I do... but I'm running inside hole on the arms...) And 10k in the center in buggy? Ummm... you must like an aggressive car!

Do you run rear brake bias? I run front bias and haven't noticed a difference due to temps. I can see where a buggy with less contact patch that might make a difference though.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mainly just lighten the oils in the shocks by 10wt all around. Diff oils you can keep the same but yea i agree 10k in centre is fairly high so reducing it would help. Try a softer tyre compound also Looks like you run AKA so if you're on Medium tyres go to Soft or possibly try Super Soft.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

I missed the river race but I heard it was pretty cold. What setup are you running? If it is really cold I go from 7 to 5 in the center diff and 30/25 (Losi) in the shocks. It works good for me.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Default yeah

I guess 10,000 is a little thick for anywhere but 90 plus temps outside. It was freezing at the race, my trigger finger was numb and my car was setup for normal temps outside, I will set up my extra center diff with like 5-7 thousand in it and just change that. I run 5 in front, and 3 in rear, that should be good, but the shocks need to go down to 40 f, 35 rear I guess, it wasn't the rear as much as the front, and I tried the grey blue springs all round but I think the xray likes the silver, at least in the cold, I'll save the grey blues for summer. Oh yeah, I run the airtronics mx3 fm radio and it was glitchy around all the 2.4 ghtz radios. I guess I need to get a better radio too. No biggie. I like my mx-3, do you think the 3.4 version 2 mx3 would be good enough. I'm tired of glitches, any thoughts about radios....