Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good onroad engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default Good onroad engine

Hey, I am in the process of deciding which engine to get for my G4. I have it narrowed down to the Mugen Mt12, Mugen Mr12, Sts d3, or the rb v12. I would like to know the pros and cons of issues such as speed and low end, along with tuning and reliability. Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Good onroad engine

Originally posted by bballer
Hey, I am in the process of deciding which engine to get for my G4. I have it narrowed down to the Mugen Mt12, Mugen Mr12, Sts d3, or the rb v12. I would like to know the pros and cons of issues such as speed and low end, along with tuning and reliability. Thanks
hey take your pick , there are so many out there
Old 03-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Onroad Engines

I've very good luck with my RB Concept, lots of power, pretty easy to tune-fast. Several gallons through it with no problems.

Between the two Mugens the MR is noticably more powerful than the MT.

It depends on the track you race on to get the best fit of RPMs vs tork from the motor.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Actually, I was looking at the rb x12. the v12 is a little out of my price range. Is the x12 a good enough engine for my price range compared to the mugens?
Old 03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

RB X12 is a great engine. The MR12 (if you can find one still) is a little better.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rod_b
RB X12 is a great engine. The MR12 (if you can find one still) is a little better.
I agree. The RB X12 is a brilliant engine. I have one which is still running after 2yrs. The most notable thing is it still requires a 1:8th starter to turn it over. It just grinds 1:10th starters to a halt that are even running on 12v gel cells. Plenty of power from it and will run forever if looked after.

But like Rod says, the MR12 is slightly better but very hard to get hold off.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

I have a brand new Team Magic X5 starter box with a 12v gel pack. Are you saying i might not be able to use that for starting a rb x12?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have a brand new Team Magic X5 starter box with a 12v gel pack. Are you saying i might not be able to use that for starting a rb x12?
Not at all. I was just saying that that is the way my engine is. I have never heard of this actually happening to anyone else.

Some people would say that their is something wrong with my engine (rod is done, head not shimmed enough etc) but I can guarantee it is in perfect condition and head clearance is not to low. Its just one of those really good engines you never part with. There are enough guys on this forum who can testify its no slouch either.

If you want a good cheap motor which is reliable and easy to work with then the X12 is definately it.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default x-12

I have run only 2 engines sor far for the last 2 years. Both rb x-12s. I am happy with the preformance of the engines. My 2 yo is stock. I must have run at least 5-6 gallons through it the first year. At the start of last year I put it new p/s and conrod. It still performs well. I just need a little more top end on the big 1/8 scale track I sometimes at. The other is a smeltz mod x12 I bought last year. This one has more bottom end, at the expense of some top end. For the price, they are not a bad deal at all. If they are in your range they, they are worth a look.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default X12s are great

I have both am X12 and a V12.

The V12 is the new version of the X12 and has a few refinements, but retains much of what made the X12 such a great engine. The V12 has a slightly reinforced case with a few more fins, a larger opening in the center of the crankshaft, the crank is slightly larger in diameter and the front bearing is a little different.

The piston and sleeve are nearly identical.

You can even exchange the V12 parts into the X12, the engines are that similar.

The V12 has a bit more top end, but the X12 seems just as punchy on the bottom end.

The X12 is a great motor, you can't go wrong!
Old 04-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Alright, thanks for all the help. Now that ive decided what to get, does anyone know where i can find rb x12's online for a decent price? $120-130 range. Thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Alright, thanks for all the help. Now that ive decided what to get, does anyone know where i can find rb x12's online for a decent price? $120-130 range. Thanks
you can try ebay