Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Piecing together my first on-road electric… >

Piecing together my first on-road electric…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Piecing together my first on-road electric…

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Piecing together my first on-road electric…

Like the title says, I’m going to be putting together my first on-road electric sedan. I plan on racing the local beginner’s class with the following specs:

Chassis: any 1/10 scale 4WD touring car

Motor: any 27T brushed or 17.5T brushless

Battery: 6-cell or 7.4V lipo

Body: any 190mm or 200mm touring car body

Tires: rubber touring car

Minimum Weight: 1500g

At the advice of those on these boards (thank you by the way), it was recommended that I hit the track and see what most people at the local track are running – so I interrogated half of the people at the local club race last Saturday (plus lots of internet research). It seems as though most people at the track are running a Hot Bodies Cyclone TC; so I believe that this is the chassis that I will go with.

What I need is advice on everything else. Most people seem to run a myriad of different things. Can I get some advice as to where to go from here? I’m going to hit the local shops this weekend, but before I do, I’d like to have a bit of an idea (as well as additional research) under my belt before I start shopping.

I have “some” criteria:

• Lipo/brushless
• 2.4 radio
• I’d like to keep everything around $1,000

Outside of that, I I’m pretty open, but I do need most everything including radio, ESC, motor, charger, power supply, etc.

Suggestions as to what I should (or should not) be looking at? Just trying to get ideas here….

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My advice would be to hit the classifieds here on RCTech and buy used gear. That way you can keep the price down. Things like radio gear and chargers are things that will serve you your entire time in the RC hobby so that is a good place to spend money. Buy quality stuff and only buy it once. If you are just starting out in TC racing don't get sucked into buying a $500 kit for your first car. The plastic tub chassis Cyclone kit is a nice car and will serve you well.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 ^
^^
^^^
II
II