Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn LAB-C01

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
Futaba or 25t spline servo horns will work with Savox. Don't you wish that there was one standard?

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Hi Lars
Thanks for your reply!
In the kit there were no servo horns..
They are sold separately :-(

But with the grub screws of the 2speed shoes, i have to shorten them a bit, because screwed in they touches the 2speed housing and it can not rotate properly.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Italboy
Hi Lars
Thanks for your reply!

But with the grub screws of the 2speed shoes, i have to shorten them a bit, because screwed in they touches the 2speed housing and it can not rotate properly.
Dont use the grub screws... Sorry repeat, just went back one page...

I dont think there is enough thread available to be certain the grub screws will work. It's up to you and the two speed shoes do run loose and floppy later on and still work fine!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hi Lars
Thanks for your reply!

Capricorn doesn't use grub screws in the 2 speed shoes. It may look a bit strange at first, but the shoes are actually meant to be loose on the cam hub. I know one driver who extends the life of the shoes by using grub screws when the shoes become a bit worn however. It's up to you if you want to resort to that, but start off without grub screws in new 2 speed clutches, and use only very short grub screws if you decide to do that. We don't use grub screws.

You shouild replace the rollers that the cam works on, if they get flat spots.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Smile

Originally Posted by blis
Dont use the grub screws... Sorry repeat, just went back one page...

I dont think there is enough thread available to be certain the grub screws will work. It's up to you and the two speed shoes do run loose and floppy later on and still work fine!
Hey Blis
How are you!
Thanks for the help and replies.

Yes, i made the step to walk the red carpet :-)
Before I had also run the KM!
I know that building the LAB I have to be patiently ;-)
The C-01 is mentioned to be a rain car as the C-02 for dry condition
Racing!
But anyway, I can not leave my hands from TM totally... I got the E4RS II as
My training car during the winter season!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport

For servos I would recommend anything but Savox, the Savox servos are cheaply made and they don't fit very well, especially the low profile ones.
Personally I use the RSX One10 from KoPropo, but any servo from Sanwa, Futaba or Kopropo should do.
We've used Savox low profile servos since we started with Capricorn, and we were told about 6 month ago not to use low profile servos by some very experienced people who know what they're talking about. We didn't listen since we were so happy with the handling of our car, and wanted to keep CG as low as possible. Then our friend John Taynton told us at the Australian Nats not to use Savox servos at all; and we were then again advised not use low profile servos by the team who had tested it, but we again didn't listen. The team recommended JR DS8915, but we've had other recommendations as well from those who know a lot more than what I do. KoPropo servos were high on the list of recommendations by those whose advice we have lots of respect for.

We finally changed to a full size Savox SC 1258 TG after the problem we had in a final at the last our last big event; and found that steering improved remarkably, and we now agree with anyone believes that only full size servos are good enough for steering. Today we tested our new JR DS8915 against the Savox SC 1258 TG, and there was again significant improvement in the steering. Steering was more pointy and stability also improved; particularly in high speed corners and over bumps. You would think by speed and torque specs. that Savox would be great; but I'm afraid that the JR is much better, and JR servos have come down in price to under $100.00 but of course weighs more.

We know now that again should have listened to experienced people like our team, and other experienced people like you Daan. Will we ever learn?

Chance and I would like wish all that have contributed with advice and discussions on this thread a Happy New Year, and a big thank you to all.

Kindest regards,
Lars.

Last edited by Chickentrader; 12-31-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm looking for servos now for the car and assumed I would get lo profile. I'm sure you guys have much more knowledge on this but it just doesn't square with the fact that top drivers like DJ and Tosolini as far back as prototype c01 use low profile servos and they drive this thing faster than anyone. Do some pros use full size servos? Just wondering what to think...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
We've used Savox low profile servos since we started with Capricorn, and we were told about 6 month ago not to use low profile servos by some very experienced people who know what they're talking about. We didn't listen since we were so happy with the handling of our car, and wanted to keep CG as low as possible. Then our friend John Taynton told us at the Australian Nats not to use Savox servos at all; and we were then again advised not use low profile servos by the team who had tested it, but we again didn't listen. The team recommended JR DS8915, but we've had other recommendations as well from those who know a lot more than what I do. KoPropo servos were high on the list of recommendations by those whose advice we have lots of respect for.

We finally changed to a full size Savox SC 1258 TG after the problem we had in a final at the last our last big event; and found that steering improved remarkably, and we now agree with anyone believes that only full size servos are good enough for steering. Today we tested our new JR DS8915 against the Savox SC 1258 TG, and there was again significant improvement in the steering. Steering was more pointy and stability also improved; particularly in high speed corners and over bumps. You would think by speed and torque specs. that Savox would be great; but I'm afraid that the JR is much better, and JR servos have come down in price to under $100.00 but of course weighs more.

We know now that again should have listened to experienced people like our team, and other experienced people like you Daan. Will we ever learn?

Chance and I would like wish all that have contributed with advice and discussions on this thread a Happy New Year, and a big thank you to all.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Hi Lars

Thank for the detailed report.
I also Im still not sure which servos to build in. As i was very happy with the savox before, i would like to use them in the future.
I still waiting for the 1252 low profile, which should be better than the previous 1251.
Has anyone information about that?

I wish you a happy new year and all the best!

Best regards
Robby
Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrHistory
I'm looking for servos now for the car and assumed I would get lo profile. I'm sure you guys have much more knowledge on this but it just doesn't square with the fact that top drivers like DJ and Tosolini as far back as prototype c01 use low profile servos and they drive this thing faster than anyone. Do some pros use full size servos? Just wondering what to think...

I will say this. I do run Low Profile servos and I would think most top drivers to, mainly for the weight reasons. My opinion is this; The standard size servo takes more of a beating for sure. Since the "pro driver" (and I say that word loosely, lol) hits less and more importantly, changes their equipment more often, you find we run the low profile stuff. Just a little info to help out.

I think the standard stuff is good for racers that are not so worried about weight and just want a reliable car. Most people can not even tell the difference in the weight versus performance.

DJ Apolaro
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys
From my run at the Australian nats, in hindsight I now would not use any savox servo on the steering as they can not hold it's position under load and that from experience. I used both the 1251 and the 1268 and both start reseasonable ok but as weeks went on things start to go to shit.
So I now run either the JR DS 8915 or futaba bls 9451.
The savox low profile I do use as a throttle servo as this does not cop the load that the steering gets.

Jt

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Hi Lars

Thank for the detailed report.
I also Im still not sure which servos to build in. As i was very happy with the savox before, i would like to use them in the future.
I still waiting for the 1252 low profile, which should be better than the previous 1251.
Has anyone information about that?

I wish you a happy new year and all the best!

Best regards
Robby

Last edited by rc carnage; 12-31-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc carnage
Hi guys
From my run at the Australian nats, in hindsight I now would not use any savox servo on the steering as they can not hold it's position under load and that from experience. I used both the 1251 and the 1268 and both start reseasonable ok but as weeks went on things start to go to shit.
The savox low profile I do use as a throttle servo as this does not cop the load that the steering gets.

Jt
Hi Jt
Have you ment saying bls 451 or S 9451?
Because a bls 9451 I couldn't find anywhere.

I had a look also to the bls 452 and s 9452.
Are they also good for steering?
Or is it also possible to take the low profile one from Futaba,
the s9551?

Thanks and have a great start into 2013!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

With what i have experienced with brown outs wich occure on occasions sometimes only in finals, a warning with these very good servo`s is in place.

•Manufacture Notice: "Please ensure adequate power supply to your radio system. This servo is capable of high output, thus requires more power than a conventional servo."

If you have a receiver wich has a minimum voltage need from 3,5 volts like the Spektrum , be aware. I have replaced it with a Sanwa kit wich has a minimum receiver voltage of 2 volts and no brownouts anymore. Could be its because the Savox have a lot off "noise" on the line to the receiver and other brands do not and will be good with the Spektrum receiver i don`t know. But a glithbuster didn`t cure the brownouts for me though.

Hope with this info you won`t have these "gliches" happen to you
What i would use if you race is a minimum of 9kg and at least 0,09 sec speed by the way, don`t forget the tension on the servo saver has to be high. i use two savox low profile

Have fun
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know if the pulley holders are the same for 1/10 scale car and the 1/8 scale or are the 1/8 scale car pulley holder's bigger? Also does anyone know the outside diameter of the square part of the pulley.....

Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc carnage
Hi guys

Jt
I'd be taking a good look at your receiver pack/ voltage regulator before solely pointing the finger at the savox servo. We've been using them for a while now with no real issue. Granted , we only use the low profile servo on the throttle.
We had this "self centering" issue brought up by a fellow racer , when he checked our cars he was surprised as ours weren't "too bad".

p.s. I see Meen's world champs winning car had savox servos.....

We
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can someone tell me how well the KO RSX One10 has been performing in the car? I am looking to get two of these for throttle and steering. If someone has a better idea for front rear combo please let me know. I will get either KO brand or JR to run with my helios radio, and have a LIFE receiver pack. Also hope to avoid using a regulator.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sorry about stirring the up the servo debate.

You’ve got to listen when the American Champ gives advice; and truly sorry we are only reporting the findings of tests, and of advice given to us. Perhaps it is because conditions are different on the tracks with the high speed sweepers in Australia and in Bangkok, but we only realise now that using the smaller servos has been causing instability in that type of corner and some snap steer in low speed tight corners.

The low profile versus full size testing was made by our team 2000km away in Melbourne before going to the Worlds, who then advised us about the results (the difference was quite startling apparently) when we met up in Bangkok. The earlier advice given to us not to use low profile steering servos was from all the top drivers in Australia. We didn’t want to listen then, we thought our car was so good, and it was only after the problem in Bangkok that we decided to actually test to see for ourselves. Our servo problem in that lower final; with severe understeer where it was needed; and snap steer in the infield was caused by a faulty servo however, and not from its size.

I’m sorry that we all cannot agree on this; and result of the tests are not what we expected or wanted, but I advise anyone that races on tracks with high speed sweepers to actually go and test with both types of servos. We had to before we realised heaps of torque makes such a big difference that lower CG will not compensate for, under our conditions here in Australia. For the record; our car is setup with enough steering to allow it to be turned down to what the driver desires in warm ups, and the servo saver tension was adequate and not changed during testing.

My sincere apologies for stirring this up and causing confusion, but we thought that it would be in the best interest of all to report what we found. Thanks to those that disagree with our findings for the polite debate, and for not shooting me for saying something different.

Kindest regards,
Lars.

Last edited by Chickentrader; 01-02-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.