Electric vs Nitro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric vs Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

When i first bought my (good! R/C car) i wanted a nitro. I wanted the T-Maxx. Well, i went to the hobby store to go check them out. The dood i was talking to said to not but the T-Maxx. He said the nitro egines only last 20 hours. So i said screw that, im not going to buy a 150$ motro every month. He reccemend the E-Maxx. He said they are much better for the thing i wanted them for (Hill climbing, off-roading, just having fun ). So i decided to get the E-Maxx. Im very happy that the dood who was at the store told be to get the Emaxx. So my vote goes to Eletrict
Old 04-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

sounds good... but, I can tell ya.. nitro engines last a lot longer than electric motors and batteries...

plus.. you have to buy twice as many batteries and wait wait wait till they are charged...

but, what is important is you enjoy the vehicle..

I also think no one that hasn't ran both types a lot can't really say one way or the other..

the drawbacks of nitro.. you have to be more mechanically inclined to the the "most" out of them.. the same goes with electric.. but, not nearly the same extent...

also, a drawback.. it's not too good on a nitro engine to run in the cold..

then.. you have to buy fuel.. a gallon lasts quite a while.. so, not too big a deal...

probably the biggest point is kind of realated to the first one.. if you don't know what you are doing... you could be in for a big headache if you are stubborn and don't ask questions.. could be an expensive headache also...
Old 04-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

Um, sorry, been racing electric since day one (over 20 years!!), no whining coming from this guys pit area!! I loose a race, it's my fault..........or the really crappy driver guy who, if he can't win, likes to play bumper cars!! LOL
Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by warpig
I've seen zero fires with nitro.. I've seen 3 fires with electric

trade in your starter box for a charger/power supply and a box of batteries

why would you need a pit crew.. you can only run 5 minutes at a time... compared to the 45-60 minute mains I run

... and again.. I am just defending nitro.. I love running my electric.. and yes.. you can run it in the winter
I've only seen 1 fire.
That was at last years ROAR Nationals at Revelation Raceway (on-road).
It was some kid running for Serpent.
I thought it was kind of funny.
That was the first time I've ever seen that, so I had to laugh.
My vote is for Nitro.
I just don't like having to take care of $70+ batteries, and having them last only 5 minutes.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Java1970
And, because of the first three reasons, you can race indoors. Here in the Great Wet North, we get to race outdoors maybe 1/3 of the year, so indoor racing is the way to go around here.
Yep! Electric off-road takes more of a "finess" type driver to drive fast lap times. I have seen many a racer give up in electric class and go to nitro and be a "fast guy" because you don't have to be as good a driver (you all know who you are!). Attrition accounts for at least %50 of the passing in the Nitro class.

The one major race I went to and ran nitro was the West Coast Gas Championships in 1997. My truck was DIALED and I was running third in the Factory A-main and ended up 7th or 8th because my reciver pack died in the last 2 mins.

Anyone that says that they are better because their reciver pack didn't dump is a fool! That is a crapy way to lose positions!

And my arm wouldn't move (it was a 60 min race) after the race was over and my knee was locked! I looked at Richard Trujillio and said "NEVER AGAIN DUDE!"

GIFF - Figure that one out Air Polluters! LOL

GB
Old 04-13-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Both gas racing fires I've seen/heard about were DEFINITELY mistakes.

The Revelation fire was caused by someone pouring ether on that Serpent driver's motor, trying to get it to un-hydro-lock so it could be started. Common sense tells you to not to pour something flammable on something very hot!

Also, at least year's Manufacturer's Cup in Detroit, someone's mechanic put a dirty glowplug into an igniter to hold it, and sprayed it with fuel to clean it off. Carnage ensued..

EIFF! I've done three 45-minute A-mains and my arms and knees felt fine 10 minutes after the race

I looked at Richard and said "anytime you need"...haha!!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Electric racers are in general more picky and whiny about track conditions. Nitro racers are usually more old school dirt racers who don't mind if there is a big rut in the middle of the track. Another thing I notice is that most nitro racers don't have a problem with electric. Electric racers sometimes have a real beef or even hatred of nitro.

I've raced all the off-road classes and nitro is more fun for me. 1/8 scale is the most exciting off-road class I have ever ran. Honestly after running nitro for a year stock electric is really boring. Mod electric isn't far behind but at least it can keep up with a nitro on straightaway speed.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by windellmc
Electric racers are in general more picky and whiny about track conditions. Nitro racers are usually more old school dirt racers who don't mind if there is a big rut in the middle of the track. Another thing I notice is that most nitro racers don't have a problem with electric. Electric racers sometimes have a real beef or even hatred of nitro.

I've raced all the off-road classes and nitro is more fun for me. 1/8 scale is the most exciting off-road class I have ever ran. Honestly after running nitro for a year stock electric is really boring. Mod electric isn't far behind but at least it can keep up with a nitro on straightaway speed.
I've been to several tracks and raced in several classes, some of the biggest whiners I've ever seen were running nitro!! I guess there are whiners on both sides of the fence, but that doesn't mean the products suck!!!

Last edited by Java1970; 04-13-2004 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

I'd have to say finess is in all categories of driving.. no doubt.. at the top level of nitro... one mistake and you're done.. just like in electrics..
Old 04-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

This is what a friend said about Nitro:

"these engines are super picky about tuning...you have to buy a temp gun, and constantly monitor the temperature of the engine....give yourself about a months learning curve before you can actually drive it without it overheating and stalling constantly.

Afterwards, the plug needs to be removed, and the inside of the engine treated with a rust inhibitor, moisture displacer. the whole car needs to be cleaned with nitro neutralizer to keep the nitro from eating the car. I thought that nitro was gonna be all fun and games too.

Dude, im serious...go electric."

Comments? Is this the norm with nitro?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

dylan-d, as you have seen my XXXT thread, I'm selling my Nitro because I (personally) don't like the clean-up and having to keep the tuning perfect...
I thought that nitro was gonna be all fun and games too.
so did I, and a friend of mine thought so too until he saw what I've gone through...

Bottom Line, Electric has my vote....

also, as some say, if you are racing you need fancy batteries.... true, but if you arent you save a hell of a lot more than what you do on nitro! IMO

(just giving the guy my 2 cents, not trying to start any arguments)
Old 04-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default Don't start stupid wars.

This post wasn't necessary

Last edited by Aaron Waldron; 04-28-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

What do you guys think is better for jumping shit?

examples would be, ramps, stairs, ledges, that type of stuff..

specific cars you reccomend are nice too
Old 04-29-2004, 12:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by dylan-d
This is what a friend said about Nitro:

"these engines are super picky about tuning...you have to buy a temp gun, and constantly monitor the temperature of the engine....give yourself about a months learning curve before you can actually drive it without it overheating and stalling constantly.

Afterwards, the plug needs to be removed, and the inside of the engine treated with a rust inhibitor, moisture displacer. the whole car needs to be cleaned with nitro neutralizer to keep the nitro from eating the car. I thought that nitro was gonna be all fun and games too.

Dude, im serious...go electric."

Comments? Is this the norm with nitro?
So cleaning motors, tuning motors, cutting and cleaning commutators, cost of batteries, 1 hour of battery charging for a 5 minute run, battery discharging, battery cycling, and checking your motor, batteries and speed control for over heating aren't part of electric racing?
First off, you don't need a temp gun to tune a nitro engine.
Tuning isn't a problem, as long as you pay attention to what your engine is telling you.
Why do you need a month of learning before you drive it without overheating or stalling?
Just tune it right the first time, then it's only small adjustments after that.
Not everyone uses after run oil in their engine after use.
It's recommended that you use after run oil if you plan on not using it for awhile.
So you don't clean your commutator and oil your bearings after you run your car?
How hard is it to take out the glow plug and put a couple drops of oil in the hole?
Who uses "Nitro Neutralizer"?
I spilt nitro fuel on my cars before.
It doesn't eat up your car.
It's not hydrochloric acid.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dylan-d
nitro neutralizer
what is that? I've been running nitro for almost 10 years and I haven't used a neutrolizer-moisturizer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.