Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
RB Killer 9 .21 >

RB Killer 9 .21

RB Killer 9 .21

Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)
Default RB Killer 9 .21

Anybody tried this motor? Got any reviews for me?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Go here http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ne-thread.html from page like 47 on there is much talk about the K9. I recently picked up two of them unfortunately it's balls cold here so I won't break them in for another two months. I will be using the RB 2045 pipe with the 192P header.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I have given a few my full race porting for some guys that drag race them and they all said it ran pretty good stock and it pulled out of the hole as strong as some of their .28's and had top end like a full blown modded onroad engine after I got done with it. Obviously I modified them for that application and I can certainly tame it down some if someone doesn't want an over powered engine. As far as the engine itself, the port layout and timing specs were very good. The crank was also very well laid out with good opening, closing and overall duration. The engine is not made by Novarossi as the older RB engines were. I heard rumors that force was making it but I can't confirm that 100%. With that being said, it will be interesting to see the overall longevity of these engines. I don't have any input yet on the engines I did but they are also being used for a different application than most use this engine for so you may want to ask around and see what the overall consensus is.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You will not be disappointed... Easy break in and tune. I was very surprised at it's performance.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There's also a thread here about the Ofna JL .21 on here which is the same engine.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Default K9 vs. JL 21

They are close but not exactly the same. Most of the demensions are the same, but some of the materials are definitely different. For instance the conrod, the venturi, the heat-sink, the crank-pin, the back plate, and the pinch bolt. Although those are seemingly minor items, and they may all be interchangeable, in micromotor technology the most suttle of changes can make a significant difference.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

By the way, I'm on my 4th gallon of 9-10min run-times, competing with drivers of OS Speeds, V-specs, and Nova +4s. A few other engines may have more horsepower on a dyno, but I've yet to notice anything that can put down more power to the track, rather than roost. And I'm a former turbo C6 driver.

I've tried the following pipes: 053, Jp3, & the 2045. 2045 is the smoothest and most controlable, without sacrificing punch or top speed. Odonnell 97T plug is what I've used since October. May try the 99T during the hottest months.

I must also say that the carb tune is incredibly consistent. Haven't had to adjust for 3 races at three entirely different locations.

I bought the motor to practice with over this winter, but instead it's now my new best friend.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyJ
They are close but not exactly the same. Most of the demensions are the same, but some of the materials are definitely different. For instance the conrod, the venturi, the heat-sink, the crank-pin, the back plate, and the pinch bolt. Although those are seemingly minor items, and they may all be interchangeable, in micromotor technology the most suttle of changes can make a significant difference.
Are you 100% sure of this info...after weekend I will have a K9 and a JL pulled down for comparison pictures......I will tell you tho from what i have seen the internals are 100% identical, same rod, same sleeve, same piston, same timing,same backplate, same crankpin etc..the only differences are cosmetic and will have absolutely zero affect on performance or longevity.... However like I say I will arrange a side by side photo shoot after this weekends racing is over...
Old 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Default K9

Very good cheap engine with great run times
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Smile

As I tried to make clear above, I actually do have one. and I do agree that the parts are interchangeable. And because I could not find an RB dealer who has the K9 conrod in stock, I purchased a JL con-rod. It may fit but it looks nothing like the K9 rod that's in my engine. The JL rod had at least two visible cavities around the lower bushing area. Not the RB.

While viewing other replacement parts from the JL I noticed the differences that I mentioned in my previous post. But also notice the JL has a coated crankcase, and the heat sink is cut totally different. I would venture to say that the RB one weighs less and runs cooler, since it's drilled out. In fact I wonder if the entire engine is lighter than the JL, considering the aluminum wrist pin and pinch bolt.

Coatings can make a difference in performance, by for instance in changing the rate of a substrate's expansion from different temperature exposures. In other words it insulates. Remember RB started this for the old WS7 10 or 12 years ago. Also an anodized coating can allow a lighter-weight material to be used in place of traditional heavy material.

Who knows (yet) which mill will have the longer life. It will be fun finding out, but my money is on the RB.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

By the way, I'm on my 4th gallon of 9-10min run-times, competing with drivers of OS Speeds, V-specs, and Nova +4s. A few other engines may have more horsepower on a dyno, but I've yet to notice anything that can put down more power to the track, rather than roost. And I'm a former turbo C6 driver.

I've tried the following pipes: 053, Jp3, & the 2045. 2045 is the smoothest and most controlable, without sacrificing punch or top speed. Odonnell 97T plug is what I've used since October. May try the 99T during the hottest months.

I must also say that the carb tune is incredibly consistent. Haven't had to adjust for 3 races at three entirely different locations.

I bought the motor to practice with over this winter, but instead it's now my new best friend.
RoyJ
I the next couple of days I will ordre a Killer 9. But missing also a new pipe/header combo. I would like to know how the 053 performe with the K9, so what can you tell me.
Are you running stock insert to obtene the 9-10 min. or do you use a 7 mm insert to do that.
Thanks for you time.
Regards
Claus
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Killer 9

I have a half gallon on mine and it is very fast and has all the bottom you would ever need to run inside or outside as well. I am running a THS pipe with 9min run times hopefully when it does losens up i will get that 10 min mark. I am running temps of 230 and the engine loves it. I will have to say that the jl engine is not the same. If it says RB it is different in every little way. This engine is a RB design with cheaper manufactures. Or makers. This engine is well worth the price Better than the reedy engines by far.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Claus, I'm running the stock insert 8mm. My first 20 min A-main race with the K9 I ran the 053 pipe, and came in for fuel at 9:45. I finished the race in 1st place, with maybe a lap of fuel left. The mileage on the JP3 was not as good. The RB2045 seems to be most similar to my 053 experience.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Claus, I'm running the stock insert 8mm. My first 20 min A-main race with the K9 I ran the 053 pipe, and came in for fuel at 9:45. I finished the race in 1st place, with maybe a lap of fuel left. The mileage on the JP3 was not as good. The RB2045 seems to be most similar to my 053 experience.
wow that sounds nothing like the jl 21 characteristics, at least so far for me or what iv read&heard or seen although carb inserts make some difference...cant wait to hear maximos findings on the k9/jl comparison
Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Adept

RoyJ
Very thanks you.

Regards
Claus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.