Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggested upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Suggested upgrades?

Hello all! New here but not to rc. I use to fly nitro planes for a few years and then several years ago i got into the onroad scene and bought my first nitro car. I bought the RTR NTC3 and messed around with it for a couple of years. I never upgraded anything on te car except the engine when I threw a rod in the original. I dropped in an O.S. .18 CV-R and man that thing woke up! Its now been about two years since I've done anything with the car and have just recently got back into running it and I'm looking to do some upgrade for both handling and performance. The engine only has about half a tank through it so I'm gona stick with that but I'm looking at upgrading to the two speed transmission and would like to look into other upgrades as well. What would you all recommend to upgrade first and why? What can I upgrade to improve handling? Also what rubber tires would you guys recommend now for unprepped parking lot racing? I currently have some HPI slicks and a set of medium medial pros. I know I'm asking alot but I'm looking for atleast decent traction and durability. Any and all recommendations or help is appreciated!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have upgraded to the copper springs for my clutch but I'm still using the stock two shoe clutch. Anybody have any suggestions at all?!

Last edited by Quickone4u; 01-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Not a single person has a recommendation as to what I should add first to help me with what I'm looking for?!?! Before any of you jump on the "search button" bandwagon, I already have and haven't found answers to the questions I'm looking for. If they are there, then I would appreciate it if you could point me towards them so I can use that information. The reason I'm asking for what any of you would recommend first is because I'm limited with the amount of money I can drop into this at the moment and want to make the most of it while looking to improve in the areas I asked about. I've seen there has been plenty of talk about the NTC3 on here in the past so there must be people on here that can give me some info atleast. Anybody?!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

I raced that car for 3 seasons. Do you have front and rear sway bars? Is it the V2 rear suspension. Its not the kind of car you can just add on parts to handle better. Tune the springs and shocks to your driveing and track conditions. Can't tell you much about rubber tires I only used foams.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here is the thread concerning the Nitro TC3. With over 9,000 posts, just about everything you want to know will probably be covered. The main reason why you are not gettting quick responses is because thread like yours get started over and over and folks that have already covered these don't want to keep reposting info that has already been hashed time and time again. Yes, it is a lot of reading on that thread but you should find some of the info that you are seeking.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...-rc10ntc3.html
Old 01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Here is the thread concerning the Nitro TC3. With over 9,000 posts, just about everything you want to know will probably be covered. The main reason why you are not gettting quick responses is because thread like yours get started over and over and folks that have already covered these don't want to keep reposting info that has already been hashed time and time again. Yes, it is a lot of reading on that thread but you should find some of the info that you are seeking.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...-rc10ntc3.html
I agree with JLock....but here's my 2cents added

1) for most of the country its winter time so that that means indoor racing. so unless you are in the South you;re probly driving electric right now and aren't too concern with the nitro threads

2) While there are those that still have and run this car for drag racing and parking lot bashing. There aren't many that race this car. Add to that the decline of the packing lot tracks and...you see where I getting at....right

3)This goes back to one less people in nitro threads this time of year and the one that are are dealing with infernos and 1/8 scale racing, and of course the veterans that just can leave the forums alone. So, if you give us a day or two, you'll get your questions answered.

Hate to sound unhelpful.....but that's just how I see it right now...just my opion.

Ok...with all that said, I suggest you buy some rear shock towers and arms. (look into the aluminum one if you can afford it) From what I remember, those things break easily on that car. Not a good thing for parking lot racing. Check out Brooklyhobbies, Brucknerhobbie and Nitrohouse dot com. They still sell upgrades for the NTC3.

Second look to get a set of the OFNA Steel differentials for the LD3 or CD3 Pro. They are a direct replacement for the NTC3 and will last much longer without stripping.

Hope that's enough for you for now
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ntc3

money better spent would be to get rid of the car, buy a used Mugen or Xray, the Ntc3 is just a pain in the ass, the need for new parts every weekend to keep it in raceable shape is money down the drain, with a Mugen MTX3 or 4, or an XRAY NT1 you would not need to keep throwing money at it, and they just plain work, with all the racers running them you will have support.

For what its worth. been there,done that

Had a MTX3 and 4, now an NT1, although I really liked the Mugen 4
Old 01-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Tech Rookie

I appreciate the time everybody has taken to respond and give me info. I do have some experience with tuning the suspension and engines on my car and have the car set up fairly well for the conditions I use it in. I know most people are running electric indoors now but, I live in southern Viginia and I still like running my nitro. Guess I'm crazy lol! I just really love nitro and have never really gotten into electric. I also know that my car is outdated and as much as I would truly like to upgrade to one of these newer,better performing models, I just can't afford that right now. With what money I do have, I was looking to put to use with maybe a few upgrades that may give a little extra performance in the handling department. I have read alot of the threads on here and other sites regarding the NTC3 and have put a lot of the info to good use however I was just curious to know if there was a "most recommended upgrade" from the veterns here pertaining to the areas I asked about. It appears to me that this site has a larger onroad scene both electric and nitro compared to others and also that there seems to be a bit more technical info here, which I'm looking for. I will take the suggestions given and use them as best I can. Also, if any others have any other input or recommendations regarding rubber tires for parking lot use that would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you all again for responding and giving your input.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default ae ntc3

well i actually love the ntc3 and i think it is a awesome car .

i have been upgrading mine a bit and i highly recommend some ofna steel diff gears in the rear end as they do not hold up to the high torque engines and i also like the carbon fiber deck plates . if you need any more info just pm me

thanks

here is a pic of mine with a .21 ninja in it