Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

lol.....i have no idea what i am doing

i am useing epic monstor metals /unmatched/bought from stormer in a power brick

im charging at 3.8amps and 3mv cutoff
Old 01-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

If you are running 7.2V packs, you should be charging at about 5-6amps. That should put the punch back into the pack.

I use 4mv/cell cutoff and that's pretty good place to start and experiment. Usually a 3-6mv/cell cut off is a good range depending on your cells.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok...that sorted the charging out now what about discharging....how do i make it cut it off at 5.6[or whatever is best] volts
Old 01-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

hey pink pack man,

I think it is almost agreed that most ppl believe in 3 different cutoff voltages:
0V (also known as dead shorting), 0.9V/cell (or 5.4 V/pack), or 0.8V/cell.

0V for nimh or even nicd is not recommended if you dont' know what you are doing because you can easily damage your cells. I personally never do it.

0.9V/cell is what most people do and are recommended to do. Safest, most dischargers will go down to 0.9V/cell. Can't complain much about this cutoff voltage.

0.8V/cell is what the CDC does, so it will take your pack down to 4.8V/cell which I heard will increase run time on your next packs(but I can be wrong on this.)

However, you want to get a discharger that will discharge each independent cell down to the cut off voltage. Such dischargers are called "equalizing trays". (They equalize the voltage within each individual cell)

It is generally benefical to your batteries, because it help maintain runtime, consistency, and various other aspects that the pros on these pages can tell you about.

It would be strongly recommended that you buy an equalizing tray if you have batteries that are matched and cost like $100 a pack. I personally like the Novak variable discharger, but its costly, but super easy to use.

But I own a rayspeed discharger, and that serves my purposes well. Only thing I can complain about it, is that it takes a bit of "figiting" to get my cells into the slots.

Hope that clears things up for you, but if I am wrong about anything, I am sorry, here to learn myself. (Hence my name.)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

A cheaper board is the new LRP/NOSRAM one ,just clip them in all the red LED`s come on & cut off at 0.09v, 3 amp discharge
You don`t have to baby sit this one either, it has spring clips on them so just push them on the board & away you go
Old 01-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

Mr. Jolly, that's neat you have any website selling this thing? that's probably what I am looking for in the future. the rayspeed also has auto cutoff and 2 different modes of discharging incase anyone's wondering. Its been around for a while so the its pretty well trusted.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

LRP one is a blue board & the nosram one being a red board, helger are the ones who deal with this

LRP one is lrp41630, microtechracing
Old 01-26-2005, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

thankyou to every1 who helped me

espeseally rcnewb2004 and Cole Trickle
Old 01-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by pink pac man
thankyou to every1 who helped me

espeseally rcnewb2004 and Cole Trickle
Thanks, you're welcome !

I'll second that about getting an equalizer, it really helps performance, and cahnces are great, that it'll solve your lacking punch at the end.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

i am thinking about getting the novak smart tray.....is there any better bord than that 1
Old 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

I personally think the novak is the way to go. its functions are transparent and make sense. No guess work, read instructions and easy to use. If price is not a problem, go with the novak tray.

You are really welcome pink pac man. I learnt a lot on this page and I am glad that my advice did some good for once haha.

Thx MRJolly, I will take a look at it.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One thing to note abotu the Novak equalizing discharger.. It discharges at I believe 2.7 amps. In some cases it could take a little while for your battery to discharge. You might was to also invest in some kind of discharger. The integy charger mentioned here does discharge at 20 amps. I use the integy octane2 discharge tray.. I have yet to buy the novak charger. But I probably will sometime in the near future..

Those that have it at my local track suggest a 20A or more discharger. Use this prior to putting in the novak tray.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok i just charged a very old battery of mine and it said battery voltage to low.....does this mean my batts are rooted
Old 01-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

u might have to charge it a few times.... see if it keeps saying that. sometimes it takes a while for the chemicals in teh battery to become active again.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

My backlight just started to go out, well it actually has some like dark spots on the lcd screen and they are starting to get bigger. It looks like I may have to get it repaired. Has this happened to anyone and how much did it cost to get fixed? It is no longer under warranty so I will more than likely have to pay for the repair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.