Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Schumacher Corner >

Schumacher Corner

Schumacher Corner

Old 02-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

What pinion do most people start with on the Mission? I am using the 86t stock spur gear...stock racing on a smaller carpet track (more turns then straights).
thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Can i use the stock upper a arm turnbuckles when using position 1 on the hubs or are they too short?
Old 02-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

I have a question about the Axis 2. I just recently picked one of these up used. it has all the "esential" hop ups on it. I have just one question, do the front cv joints normally bind up on these things when you get towards full lock on the steering? and if so is there a fix for this?

thanks.......
Old 02-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Tech Regular

neas...try a 25 or 26, if using the 17 tooth main drive pulley (final drive ratio about a 7.00-7.25) At the Snowbirds, which was a more open flowing carpet track most were running around 6.85-7.00

Ian S...Yes, you should be able to, but be warned that there isnt much turnbuckle left in the plastic when you do that, so a good hit may yank it out. Some are going to longer titanium turnbuckles to prevent this....
Old 02-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

crowmaxx...yes, you are taking the ujoints to their limit as you approach full lock on the steering, so there's not much you can do about it. Does the A2 have the newer front arms on it? You'll know them by the big blocks on the back of the arms that limit steering travel, and keep you from breaking the plastic drive shafts when you hit something. You shouldnt need full steering travel normally...if you're having to use it you're likely scrubbing speed in the corners, and need to adjust your setup
Old 02-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Markg, yes it has the newer arms on it and no I havn't run it yet. I was just setting up the radio dual rate and noticed this. By the way , any suggestions on setup for a tight out door track. Slick sealed pavement 95ft back stretch the rest tight and curvy, I will be running in a stock rubber tire class. Any suggestions on set up and gearing would be appreciated.

thanks...
Old 02-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ian-

When running the outside, commonly called "inline" hole on the hubs, you really need to use longer turnbuckles. You can use the kit ones, but they tend to decrease the durability of the upper wishbone.

Schumacher has Lunsford units that fit the bill perfectly.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

What is there to gain by running the gray belt vs the kit belt on the Mission?
Old 02-18-2002, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by markg
neas...try a 25 or 26, if using the 17 tooth main drive pulley (final drive ratio about a 7.00-7.25) At the Snowbirds, which was a more open flowing carpet track most were running around 6.85-7.00

Ian S...Yes, you should be able to, but be warned that there isnt much turnbuckle left in the plastic when you do that, so a good hit may yank it out. Some are going to longer titanium turnbuckles to prevent this....
I saw a setup sheet online that mentioned 24 so thats what I went with. The stock spur is 86, and I went with the 17 tooth pulley. It was SLLLLOOOOOWW. I couldnt believe it....I was kind of humiliated (a few people hung around to 'see the new schumacher'). I was running a Spitfire stock motor that cruised in my RC Lab. The accelration was ok, but not enough to make up for the lack of top end speed.

I took some time (seemed forever) to get the drive train apart and I put in the 20 tooth pulley...that made a huge difference.

I didnt have anyone else to compare it too (but some Micros) but it felt as fast as my RC Lab.

I have a lot of 64 pitch stuff so I think I might make the switch..I have to order the adapter (why do they do that? have it be different then the industry standard?)

I heard 118 seems to be the standard spur if you are going 64p. Can anyone confirm that? I think I will shoot for a standard spur and get some pinions to move up and down around that (because its a pain to change the spur)

I ran the stock setup, all the stock settings except I dropped it to 4 in front and 5mm in the back...the droop setting didnt make sense in the manual (said to set it flush...but then in the carpet setup in the back it said 8mm and 11mm...my gauge only goes to 10mm ( I am assuming from the bottom of the chassis to the lowest point on the a-arm)

One thing I did notice is that the stock setup for the shocks was basically straight up and down...I left it that way.. the rear was a
*little* loose on my setup...would laying the shocks down a bit help that?
Thanks
s
Old 02-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Tech Regular

Crowmaxx:
They are not CVDs. If you are running the steel ones, they tend to bind when new. The plastic ones should be better, but they sometimes make the car vibrate while accelerating. It's tru that that much lock is not usually desirable anyway. Usually...
Ian S:
The stock ones are ok, but be sure to thread the turnbuckle further in to the inner part (a-arm). You can sacrifice one or two turns from the outer ball cup, because that never causes problems. Personally I've just bent some a-arm turnbuckles, but never had problems with the threading.
BR/ JesseT
Old 02-19-2002, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

The stock steel top links are ok, like Jesse says make sure it is screwed in further on the arm than the cup.

I have got some 33mm lunsford items that remove the issue totally. They are intended for 1/8th off rd Nitro!!
Old 02-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys,
I need a standard mod carpet setup on rubber tires. The fast tires at my track are Sorex 20r/20r yok 138F inserts and I am using the yok dish wheels. I also need a standard stock carpet setup with the same tire choice.

Thanx guys,
IKE

Last edited by FoamDonuts; 02-19-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wink

Get ready to spend some dough

Ti stuff is NOT included...I had to buy that separate. Also, the threaded shock boddies are just that...you must use the rest of the components from the kit...so if you wanted the shocks to be all alloy you have to buy more components....aproaching big dollar shocks at that point. In hindsight, the stock shocks are probably fine.

I seperated the alloy pins and turnbuckles and tested it against the ti ones...the Ti is WAAAAY lighter and stronger I suspesct..it also leaves you some spares if something should happen to the Ti ones.

I did the stock setup, with the 20t pulley for carpet stock...it was pretty hooked, it liked to drift a little but I had the shocks straight up and down...the manaul suggests laying them down (all the way basically). I think that might cure the loose end problem ?

The chassis sat 4mm+ in the front and 5mm in the back and it held pretty stiff, didnt bottom out while turning.

-S
Old 02-19-2002, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

_neas_ I called Schuie USA about the Ti stuff and found out the same thing. Oh well guess it will just be part of my order when I get all of my spares next week. The hop-ups list is getting longer but I am not worried about spending the bucks, going to try and get a schumacher revolution going up here in the PNW!!!!!!!!!hehehhehehee thanks for the reply.
IKE
Old 02-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Matt W: do you have the part number for those Lunsford Ti turnbuckles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.