Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Carpet setup

Hi,
Now the outdoor season is over am I looking for a good carpet setup using rubber tires and traction compound. Very high traction.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sandor; 10-01-2001 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Darkside-The Long belt will not skip. It has a lot of tooth engagement on the 2 large 36T pulleys. The smaller the pulley the more likely the belt is to skip. We don't have any small pulleys on the Mission.

When designing the Sedans we have to look at rules concerning body height as well as the necessary suspension travel. With a Frewer, Andy's or Protoform Stratus, Volvo S60 and Vectra you can mount the body too low and be disqualified without modifying the shock towers. Not sure about the Alfa as no one runs them here in the US.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

AdrianM: Oky doky. What about the belt tendion out of the box. Will they be tight and gradually loosen to just right or will they come perfect out of the box?
Old 10-01-2001, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

See a real picture of the Mission prototype on racing-cars.com
Old 10-01-2001, 01:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Heres the pic from Schumaher's site.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Corner-axis25.jpg  
Old 10-01-2001, 01:11 PM
Regional Moderator

Looks pretty d*** good if you ask me!

Those CAD pics don't do the car justice.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Having just spoke to Schumacher I can say that the picture siplyaed a couple of posts previous is like an Axis 2.5. It has the arms and weight layout of the new car. No new transmission. Apparently it was awesome without even seeing the real benefit of ther new car which is transMISSION.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

I was at the meeting where that car was run, infact was pitting with Andy. The car was very well balenced, very safe. He did spend most of the day looking for more steering. It is a fairly tight indoor track where we are nearly always looking for more steering.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The car is a hybred car used for testing purposes only. As already pointed out, it doesn't have the new transmission on it yet. It (or one like it) is on its way to the US for Paul to do some testing with it.

BTW, I ran one of the changes to the Mission on my Axis2 last weekend and the result was a very easy to drive car, but it needed some more steering (I didn't change my current setup at all and on the track I tested on I'm usually looking for more traction so the setup is for max traction). I plan on testing more next weekend with a setup change...I think its gonna be good...
Old 10-01-2001, 05:47 PM
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Racer X:
I contacted Putnam about the brushes and motors. What makes his stuff so special in your opinion? Also I could buy motors tuned by Big Jim Greenmeyer directly from him. What is better? Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Putnam builds the fastest oval motors (current and previous multi National champs). Oval racers are nuts when it comes to motors since any increase in performance can be seen when you are running 3 sec laps. He FINE TUNES the motors...rezapping, turning, reballencing, spring tweeks, and then installes his famous brushes. Thats why I started running his stuff in the first place, I heard that the best stock brushes are Putnams (and I believe that). Just about everyone who has tried the brushes find that they give more RPM and torque on the dyno and on the track. The motor I'm currently running (a P2K) is geared 3 teeth higher than anything else I've every run and the brushes still look like new every time I check them (and I still have plenty of acceleration out of the corners). Keep in mind, I run TCs and I wouldn't run anything other than a P2K in a TC (given a choice, meaning if there isn't a handout motor). Big Jim is a great motor builder and I'm sure that if you got one of his motors, you would be just fine (but don't get a MVP for a TC, or a GM3 for ANYTHING). I just like having a motor that has had everything possible done to it (Big Jim may do the same things, I don't know, I just know that Putnam does)
Old 10-02-2001, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Hey guys something that I have been running for about a month now on my Axis2 is inboard toe. It really gives the car some massive forward traction and makes it easier to drive at speed. You can do this by using the rear toe mounts off the Fireblade, I used the 3 deg mounts. It does require some hand fitting but might be worth a try. This will be something that we will be able to adjust on the new car, so if you want to try it out before you get the new car give it a shot. If you have any questions I will try to help you out.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:29 PM
Regional Moderator

Kevin K: so why does the inboard toe-in feel different than outboard. I always thought toe-in was toe-in?
Old 10-02-2001, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Ok I dont want to get too tech. on ya here, but toe is such a big adjustment on a car that many people over look it. The easiest was to explain it is the angle of the dog bones or cvds will determin what kind of traction that end of the car makes. If the cvds point towards the front of the car you get forward traction and if the point towards the back you get less. Look at some of the cars out there today and you will see how some companies use this tuning ade to suit their chassis. This will aslo effect the wheel base of the car to you can add more rake or castor depending on the end of the car to hub to get the same wheel base with out changing the angle of the cvd too much. On indy cars the toe and rake of the rear hubs is something that they adjust alot. I hope that I have not confused you too much but if you need any more help or any more questions just ask.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:22 PM
Regional Moderator

Kevin K: Ouch!!! My head hurts! Stop it, stop it, stop it!!!

Man I'll just take your word for it. You seem pretty sure of what your saying so I'll just believe you.

So how easy will it be to change the toe inboard on the new Mission? Will it require any disassembly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.