Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Schumacher Corner >

Schumacher Corner

Schumacher Corner

Old 09-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

I use black RPM ball cups and have no slop at all.

You could use the old trick of a plastc bag over the studs before you put the cups on
Old 09-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jonny Aird
Hi Skiddins

Jonny Dronfield told me it needed extra shims to keep the same set up, but after speaking to Phil Booth he said that they cannot be narrower, as the eccentrics for the diff wouldn't fit. So no extra shims are required.

Jonny
Hmm, I was told otherwise, but no matter, provided they work
At £100 for a set they better not bend too easliy!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

@olev
I was also wondering how people measure them accurately and still wondering but car perform amazing on track so Maybe all that sloppy parts gives us an advantage
Old 09-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Hmm, I was told otherwise, but no matter, provided they work
At £100 for a set they better not bend too easliy!
eeeeekk
Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Right, new parts have been ordered to see if I can get this behemoth (MI3) down in weight. Right now, in box stock form with a Parma Type M body, with a carbon wing on it, and 5 cells, weighs in at 1503 grams. Goal is close to 1400 grams (minimum is 1372 here).

I've so far ordered Titanium screws throughout, Ti pivot pin set, Ti turnbuckles, lightweight S9550 servo and lightweight Stratus 3 AP body.

That should bring her down a little at least.

Randy, since you're the one closely associated with Schumacher in this thread, do you know more about the lightweight bulkheads? Has there been more testing done?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Right, new parts have been ordered to see if I can get this behemoth (MI3) down in weight. Right now, in box stock form with a Parma Type M body, with a carbon wing on it, and 5 cells, weighs in at 1503 grams. Goal is close to 1400 grams (minimum is 1372 here).

I've so far ordered Titanium screws throughout, Ti pivot pin set, Ti turnbuckles, lightweight S9550 servo and lightweight Stratus 3 AP body.

That should bring her down a little at least.

Randy, since you're the one closely associated with Schumacher in this thread, do you know more about the lightweight bulkheads? Has there been more testing done?

Give or take about one more month
Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
I'm hoping I can get a couple sets in time for the IIC, but they should be out soon after if not by then from what I understand.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by yokemad
@olev
I was also wondering how people measure them accurately and still wondering but car perform amazing on track so Maybe all that sloppy parts gives us an advantage
I guess in all honesty I dont measure them all that accurately. I just set my camber at what I'd want it to be at, then roll the car to check camber from various spots on the wheel incase the wheel is bent. I really dont think .5 degrees of camber will be the difference between winning the race and having a horrible raceday though.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

The bulkheads are lighter (25-30g) but not thinner as far as i'm aware. For ref, my car weighed in at 1420 with 5 cell at the weekend. I happened to be standing with one of the HB guys as we both weighed our cars - and his was 1450 - and he stood on the podium at our national!!!

It is fair to say that i have done a bit of work to get it to that weight. Titanium pins/turnbuckles/ball joints, Titanium/Alloy screws, L/W Mazda 6 shell (although i reverted to heavy later in the meeting). Electronics are LRP Sphere TC, GM motor, KO 302 reciever, KO full size servo.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by MattW
The bulkheads are lighter (25-30g) but not thinner as far as i'm aware. For ref, my car weighed in at 1420 with 5 cell at the weekend. I happened to be standing with one of the HB guys as we both weighed our cars - and his was 1450 - and he stood on the podium at our national!!!

It is fair to say that i have done a bit of work to get it to that weight. Titanium pins/turnbuckles/ball joints, Titanium/Alloy screws, L/W Mazda 6 shell (although i reverted to heavy later in the meeting). Electronics are LRP Sphere TC, GM motor, KO 302 reciever, KO full size servo.
And there are still some Schumacher parts left on the car.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I definately felt the difference in my car at the ROAR nats between mod and 19t. I was using the stock 6 cell chassis, front 5 cells for mod, 6 cells for stock. The mod car was definately more responsive, the 6 cell car was a bit more sluggish in the corners. I never really worried much about the weight of the car before that race, but after feeling the difference firsthand I try to get the weight down now.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
I definately felt the difference in my car at the ROAR nats between mod and 19t. I was using the stock 6 cell chassis, front 5 cells for mod, 6 cells for stock. The mod car was definately more responsive, the 6 cell car was a bit more sluggish in the corners. I never really worried much about the weight of the car before that race, but after feeling the difference firsthand I try to get the weight down now.
I was the same before I raced 5 cell. One of the guys at Schumacher UK explained the advantages of less weight. More corner speed, less tyre wear, more run time, faster acceleration and sometimes less heat.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MattW

Was the 1420 with the LW Bulkheads?
you could swap out to a stubby servo this will shed about 20 grams.

But that is a bucket load of cash in order for the car to get to weight.

I was helping to build a mates MI3 last night, one thing i noticed was all the shims look like steel, if this is correct replacing with alloy would shed a ton of weight, add in the long steel screws, steel turnbuckles, and the steel balls, there should be a lot of room to make it lighter but it would cost the price of the kit in order to do it.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Besercoe
I was helping to build a mates MI3 last night, one thing i noticed was all the shims look like steel.
The shims are hardened alloy.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

on the kit carpet setup it says 9mm Droop Is that a kind of printing error???
If somebody Share A good Carpet setup That would be great

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.