Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default P2K2 - burning up

When I first had my mission I put it at 17, with a Spitfire stock motor...the car was embarrising it was so slow. Slow off the line, slow to spool up...etc

I switched to a 20t pulley and it was much better. I switched to a P2k2 and left it at 20, with the 24/86 gearing and it gets pretty hot (it is *new* still <5 runs).... I would say the track is shorter, with more hard turns then sweeps.
-s
Old 04-07-2002, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 380 (99%+)

Hey guys....rejoining the Schumacher guys after sometime away (off-road and running the Xpress sedan). But I have come to my senses and got an Axis 2 now. I have some questions.

If you run the Axis 1 top plate on the Axis 2, do you need to shim it up at the motor mount? It seems lower there.

Also, I am looking for a carpet set-up. The carpet is med traction, but bumpy.

Thanks guys and glad to be back with Schuie

Jon
Old 04-07-2002, 07:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Gearing issues

When I first put my car together (Mission) I went with the 17tooth pulley, 24t pinion, stock 86t spur. I stuck in a stock motor and it was slowwwww....

Put in the 20t pulley and it was much better, keeping right up with the stock TC3's, XXXs's on the track at the time.

However, my stock motors are getting way too hot. I double checked the charts in the manual and I am about the 'middle' for the stock spur and the 20t pulley.

I went to a 23t pinion, and that didn't help much..and then a 22, not much help either.

What is everyone else running for stock, on a short, twisty track?
pulley/spur/pinion

-s
Old 04-07-2002, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

neas, if your laptimes are on par with the rest of the guys who drive other cars then I wouldn't really worry about the motor getting a little bit hot, if you went down and it didn't help and you went up and it didn't help the reason your motor might be getting hot might be your driving style but like I said if your keeping up or passing other cars on the track who cares if you motor runs a little hot, mine always do.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:27 AM
Tech Regular

jonski:
Yes you do have to, unless you do like I did and shave 2mm of the upper bulkheads on the front and rear. Thats better in my opinion. The upper deck is definately worth it especially on the carpet.
AZ_Ron:
The plastic drive shafts are not CVD.
Darkseid:
Have you considered getting some hex screws...
www.fastener-express.com
They have really good screws for the Mission. Like purple aluminum countersunked hex screws...
Everyone:
When posting and discussing setups, please state if they are for carpet or asphalt.

BR/ JesseT
Old 04-08-2002, 06:38 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

neas: It looks like your right about where you should be in your gearing for stock if your keeping up with everyone. I think we're all just going to have to get used to really hot stock motors. It looks like all modern day stockers are pushing the limits so much that they can't help but get a little toasty.

You might think about buying or building yourself a car stand with a fan under it, to get that motor cooled down quickly. Especially if you don't have to wait long for you next heat race comes up. You don't want to have to go back out with a already hot motor.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Les! at MDI said he was at 92/23 for stock, I just emailed him back to confirm that...

I know they get hot, but this is really hot....the other guys at the track noticed it as well...we all though it was a bit much.

I used to have a MVP in my T3, and that thing would be blazing hot...this is hotter.....
Old 04-08-2002, 08:36 AM
Regional Moderator

neas: I really don't understand then. By what you have said, at one point you made it to a final ratio of 8.21.(86/22 x 2.1=8.21 final) Yet you still say your stock motor was blazing hot? I would start checking my car for drag if I were you. Because thats just not normal.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yah, I have been thinking about it...possibly my ESC?
But, the ESC doesn't get hot at all....and from my experience a screwed ESC just acts as a hot box and eventually fails, but doesnt always pass the problem onto the motor...

It seems fast, battery life is good, motor comm and brushes don't get worn quicker then normal or anything.....just really really hot.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:17 AM
Regional Moderator

Well esc is cool and if the brushes aren't wearing prematurely and the comm isn't showing burn marks, I would say just make sure there is nothing dragging on the chassis. If not, then just keeping on rolling. I'm at a loss for what the problem could be.

Any of you guys have any picks of your Missions? I remember seeing some on here a while ago, but those are way back on the thread by now. If you still have the pics, can you guys show them again.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Dark, Here goes again

This was taken after i built it, hasn't changed much. The LRP's got a worlds kit on it and the top deck is bolted on with Titanium screws now.
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Corner-mission2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2002, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

heres mine, not as neat looking as Matt W's cause i cant fit my HUGE receiver anywhere apart from the top deck
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Corner-dscf0040.jpg  
Old 04-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Thanks for reposting them guys. I'm waiting for my Mission to arrive and I need to look at something to hold me over till SpeedtechR/C can get it to me around Wednesday!

I've already read the articles in R/C Car, Xtreme, and Car Action about a dozen times each. So I needed to see some other cars.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Here is a pic of my car's electronic set-up

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/trickstir...c=ph%26.view=t

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/trickstir...c=ph%26.view=t
Old 04-08-2002, 04:34 PM
Regional Moderator

Hey Kevin K you need to go to options and open your Yahoo photos up to the public. Everytime I tried to use your links, it said I had reached a restricted area.

You have to set the folder so that everyone can view it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.