Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will there ever be another TC3??? >

Will there ever be another TC3???

Will there ever be another TC3???

Old 03-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Will there ever be another TC3???

Ahhh-not what you think is this thread!!!

But-5-years ago there was the HPI Pro2, maybe a Yokomo and the famous Losi Shelf Weapon!!! Then comes the TC3-tooka year to get out-but when it did-it was the real deal. If you liked losing-then you drove something else-if you wanted to go 2 or 3 laps faster-you bought the Tc3!!!

Will there ever be another 4wd 190mm sedan that will outdate every other car on the market? Or has the technology in this class hit its pinnacle already?

What will it take in suspension technology or drivetrain technology to truly revolutionize the class?

Ray
Old 03-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

don't Know. but im thinking same way as you. 5 years Still Dominating. The Losi and Xray been out couple years but not to match the Tc3. We will have to Wait and See.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

I have to say, the Xray LOOKS like an awesome car.....sitting in the pits. In the most capable drivers hands it works pretty good. But, I haven't seen it win too many really big races, not like the TC3.

Once you get a TC3 balanced and stable, its a tough car to beat.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

TC3 RULES!! But wait!! Here comes the Pro 4 and i is sweet. Wat do u think aout it? Wait for it; The Team Associated TC4.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Hmmmmm

I think, if there will be a TC4, it wil look somethink like the Yokomo CGM chassis. But maybe the better version like lower main drive shaft.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

When the car is doing as well as it is, I am not surprised that AE hasn't released a new car. IMO, the biggest improvement they could make to the current car would be higher tolerances on all the drivetrain parts, eliminating the need to spend hours dremeling and sanding to free the car up.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

I agree with DT-Skyline about the Pro 4. This car is so much like the TC3. But it remains to be seen if it can be better.

I definately think they need to rethink the chassis and hardware problems. The newer diff cases and lower control arms are alot better. But the hubs and spindles need improving as well as the steering rack. The shock tower configuration could use an update also. But Associated has done a great job fielding an affordable and dominante car. Im sure when the TC4 shows up it will be well worth the wait.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try the Alex Racing Barracuda R3 out...shaft drive, super efficient...stronger components IMO and just as fast if not faster in the right hands....Pro4 would be a good choice too...
Old 03-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

OH-but we all wouldnt as a mass drop our IWC's and our YM4's and buy a Pro4 or a XXXS because we thught we couodnt be cometitive with anything else. Especially on the club level.

My point-this threads point is that I wonder if there will ever be another sedan that just whoops on everythng and everyone whos not sponsored or not too proud wold buy it-like the TC3 5 years ago.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have never seen a car come out that made slow drivers into fast drivers and that has made fast drivers that much faster... The TC3 was definately a revolutionary car because it was the first real competitive shaft drive car, but after trying one, I went back to the street weapon and was able to run faster times still. I think that center mounted batteries will begin to get popular and cars will start to get even lower cg's, but I cant see how they can do much more to make the suspension better than it already is..
Old 03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wish there could be...but I honestly think any major advances are behind us. As the technology and materials become available, we'll see weight savings with no loss of strength but I think the revolution now is going to be in motors and batteries.
The TC3 was revolutionary and it really got everything moving. If I were AE, I wouldn't even attempt a new chassis until the TC3 starts losing in a big way. Small changes here and there would be great but the fact is....they really did it pretty good to begin with !! Even though I'm hardcore Tamiya, I'm not ashamed to give credit where it's due.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Randman-at our club track-the first people to get the Tc3 were mainly the B and C-Main people while the "fast Group" were all running the IWC cars. When that TC3 came out-a bunch of those B and C guys all made the show and had improved their times from 4 or 5 laps behind TQ to a lap or two. Thats when the "fast group" all dropped there IWC's. But-a few guys who were very good drivers kept the IWC's in the A-Mains-for awhile!!

I'd say our club was 95% Tc3 till only a year and a half ago when one or two ran XXXS and one or two ran the Xray.
I am not talking Mod or pro-here-just club racing!!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

I think you are overstating the fact that the TC3 is a "revolutionary" (see the much earlier tamiya and kyosho shaft driven cars) car and is a constant winner, since that cannot be said to be universally true (especially at my club). But what associated DID do at the time was:

1. Efficient drivetrain (especially compared to the cars of the time ie Pro 2 and especially the street weapon)
2. VERY low CG for the time
3. Very rigid for the time

This makes the car very like the newer cars of today which is why it has aged well. I totally agree that the TC3 was way AHEAD of its time.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Regional Moderator

With out a doubt, the TC3 is the most advance car to come out in its time and to do so well will hard for any manufacture to beat, at least right now. Yes, the X Ray is a very competitive car and very well built but someone mentioned it below, it hasn't won too many events.

I always seem to come back to the TC3 for several reasons but one of the main reasons is the accessability to all the parts and the ease of pinion changes with the motor, awesome design.

It's all a matter of preference of course. The only improvements I can see AE making is a higher impact resistant material for the Arms and the front Hub carriers.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Tech Champion

AMG-yup-thats my point as well-in a way-what innovation is out there? Some F1 technology where theres no more ballcups and balljoints? The arms are molded with a flexible material at the ends which are bolted to the bulkheads? or maybe inboard shocks or even better shocks with independant bump and rebound?? Or maybe a hybrid drivetrain of some sort??

If you spin a IWC's drivetrain now-youd be scared!!! ts hard to spin and stops as soon as you let go!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.