Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it? >

Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has the industry taken nitro buggies as far as it can take it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

When i was into rc 10, 15 years ago, most cars were 2wd. RC10 and ultima come to mind.

I don't know if i could get that excited over 2 wheel drive. I already think 4wd is better.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivid concepts
Titanium will last and is widely used in racing series where it is not illegal,for connecting rods and drive train components.
Yes titanium is excellent for SOME drivetrain components. I was pointing out it is no good for gears. Also, titanium is not illegal in any way. There are reasons it is not used for rods and gears in our cars. It's not as good.

Titanium rods have been tried in our little two stroke missiles. So far, no one has gotten them to work right. Remember, titanium is heavier than aluminum, has much worse wear properties and has a much lower thermal conductivity as well as being expensive and difficult to machine. So to gain an advantage in strength, you are giving up in many other areas. Someone will probably get it to work sometime down the road but as of now, aluminum is the best choice by far.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

what about a ceramic P/S with rings?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yes titanium is excellent for SOME drivetrain components. I was pointing out it is no good for gears. Also, titanium is not illegal in any way. There are reasons it is not used for rods and gears in our cars. It's not as good.

Titanium rods have been tried in our little two stroke missiles. So far, no one has gotten them to work right. Remember, titanium is heavier than aluminum, has much worse wear properties and has a much lower thermal conductivity as well as being expensive and difficult to machine. So to gain an advantage in strength, you are giving up in many other areas. Someone will probably get it to work sometime down the road but as of now, aluminum is the best choice by far.
You are correct, titanium is 60% heavier than aluminum, but twice as strong. It is 30% stronger than steel, but 50% lighter. Thats why titanium is used for drive shafts, lower shafts in quick change rear ends, connecting rods and valves in todays racing engines.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

I was thinking last night how cool it would be to have a thin plate (about 1/16 of an inch) to put on the bottom of the chassis. Just put it on with the normal screws and it would totally protect your chassis. When the full skid plate is wore out just replace it.

SHould be cheap. I know i would buy one.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

a full length chassis skid plate would be cool but would not allow the chassis to flex witch is needeed for traction.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by dreaux
what about a ceramic P/S with rings?
Illegal.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

why in the world would that be illegal? If it makes it better, then why not implement it?

I am sorry but that is just stupid
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

you can get it:

there is gotta be a way to tune an engine more easily, remote tuning sounds like a great idea. A racing engine with one tuning needle, maybe it has 2 injector's on the same needle so it always has perfect balance.
Remote tuning already possible and out there but its illegal.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Lord

why in the world would that be illegal? If it makes it better, then why not implement it?

I am sorry but that is just stupid
Expense and reliability. Do you want a thousand dollar motor that blows up?

Actually, they probably aren't that bad. Ceramic pistons have been used in boat and plain motors. I think Nova makes some.

And before anyone mentions that SH motor that says it has a ceramic piston, it is NOT. It's an aluminum piston with a coating.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wingracer
Expense and reliability. Do you want a thousand dollar motor that blows up?

Actually, they probably aren't that bad. Ceramic pistons have been used in boat and plain motors. I think Nova makes some.

And before anyone mentions that SH motor that says it has a ceramic piston, it is NOT. It's an aluminum piston with a coating.
What's the purpose of a ceramic coated piston?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Shrouded fan cooling (think Briggs and Stratton). This might have to be gear driven since a tiny fan spinning @ 30,000rpm would probably cost lots of power but this would do away with the need for a cooling head completely.

Lay-down engines are a novel idea but where would they lay down to? The durrent drivetrain layout is in the way and dictates most choices.

The Hyper 9e's layout seems to have nitro possibilities, put the Diff in the back where the spur gear is out of the way and the cars can get lots narrower.

If electrics get to the point where 1/2 hour mains are reliably possible, nitro will be hurting. Not gone but seriously hurting.

The old OS .12LD in a .21 version should be do-able with little modifications to
the chassis by the chassis companies. The original .12LD was intended for 1/10 scale nitro on-road to lower the center of gravity to rival that of the on-
road electric car. On an off-road 1/8 scale .21 version all's you'll have to do
is to rotate the engine to the right instead of the left like the old .12LD.
By rotating it right the head would be on the left side so it would not interfere with the drive-train. I think this could be done with out a real weight gain.
Just an idea.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

you can get it:

fast and good, but it won't be cheap

cheap and fast, but it wont be good

good and cheap, but it wont be fast

there is gotta be a way to tune an engine more easily, remote tuning sounds like a great idea. A racing engine with one tuning needle, maybe it has 2 injector's on the same needle so it always has perfect balance.

I would love to access my diff without taking the hinge pins out.

+ a billion on the servo wires. I Pack them on the outside of the radio box. There is just to much wire there. Telemetry could be better.

I disagree that you can't have cheap, fast, and good (or speed, durability, and low cost). I think that's what's required to be called actual innovation these days. I think just taking two of them forward isn't really innovation, it's just extending current ideas. It's when these three things align you can have an amazing product, and that's what's required in today's market.

For an example of cheap, fast, good. Look at the evolution of how computers are built. From using heavy duty steel structures inside PC cases (I remember my HP 486 tower must have weighed 100lbs), now they're using styrofoam and plastic, delivered at 1/50th the cost, and still passing the same government shock and vibration tests for military use. (ok, that's a super loaded statement, but try to stay with me)

I think we'll see the same type of stuff happen in RC, either delivering the same performance with cheaper parts or even a bit more performance with cheaper construction. Things like plastic/composite chassis' that outperform their carbon fiber or aluminum counterparts, and make the construction cost cheaper. Arguably the Hotbodies VE8 is an attempt at that.

I do think reducing cost is probably the #1 thing on vendors minds right now though...

As as a F1 fan -- in that sport, most cost controls on regulations just seem to increase the cost, I think Toyota was at $445mil prior to the latest move which actually capped budgets. I don't think rules are going to reduce costs for us, extreme competitors will always spend even more money trying to sidestep them.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
On an off-road 1/8 scale .21 version all's you'll have to do
is to rotate the engine to the right instead of the left like the old .12LD.
By rotating it right the head would be on the left side so it would not interfere with the drive-train. I think this could be done with out a real weight gain.
Just an idea.
It is a good idea but would mean either going to a belt transmission or having a bevel gear to allow continued use of shaft drive. Which is so durable and easy to seal at the gear cases.

Vivid, Ti is not stronger than steel by volume(at least not decent steel), more must be used to provide equal strength, it's just lighter. It can be a good substitute for steel in low load areas but our experience with screws shows that good steel is stronger. Ti parts need to be designed around the properties of Ti from the start.

Piston Rods in Ti could work but making then stiff enough would be a trick. They'd either need to be of similar size to the aluminum ones (read- heavy) or hollowed (really expensive).
Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
it was said many times when the original inferno came out that kyosho had simply thought of everything and executed it perfectly, that only improvements in motors, elecs, and tires.

heh.

R
look at all these cars and tell me that is not far from the truth

they are the originators of common 8th scale buggy (8th scale stadium truck) design , period

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.