Wiki Posts
Search

centax clutch serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default centax clutch serpent 720

Hello i have a serpent 720 and the centax clutch on it is giving me a hard time. The engine must revive up to a very high rpm for the clutch to engine.

My question is, Is there an aftermarket clutch from Werks or that i can use in my car?

Is a there a simplier aftermarket clutch for the serpent 720?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rlouis12
Hello i have a serpent 720 and the centax clutch on it is giving me a hard time. The engine must revive up to a very high rpm for the clutch to engine.

My question is, Is there an aftermarket clutch from Werks or that i can use in my car?

Is a there a simplier aftermarket clutch for the serpent 720?
Your 720 clutch should do just fine.

Have you read these two articles? Glenn is an expert on setting up clutches.

http://www.serpent.com/news/10063/Bu...-3-Clutch.html

http://www.serpent.com/news/10534/Bu...-Clutches.html
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Lord

Your problem is related with to much gap or to high springtension.

Because the clutchshoe wears off the gap is becomming bigger, once in a while you have to check this and fix it with the right amount of shims. Just set the gap to 0.5 to 0.6mm

A Centax is not difficuly but you do need to check it once in a while.

Other thing causing your problem is the thrustbearing. The ring with the balls (between the 2 steel discs) can get damaged an loosing balls causing a bigger gap.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default the gap and tool

Well recently i had my clutch professiona set, and it did not turn out to good.
my car would revive up to high rpms before the clutch would engage. I took to long and it seem like my engine would overheat because of it.

Now I install another engine. its the os .12tg. and its doing the same thing. I engine would get to high rpms before the clutch would engage. I loosen up the spring, and it still goes to a very high rpm. I feel that if I loosen the spring anymore, that it will come off.

Now as far as the clutch gap. I do not fully understand how to use that. I have the caliper to, a digital one, but I do not know how to use it properly. Should I try using a ruler instead.

Also does any other company sell shims that I can use on the clutch. Serpent are hard to could be in fort Lauderdale. So let me know if traxxas or mugen or hpi have the shims, or what size of dimension shims should I be looking for?

Next, if its not the load spring, whatelse you said could be worn? What is the the part number.

Now what the cluth does engage the car goes part fast. but its too fast because the engine has already revied up so high I can not control the car.

If my clutch shoes are worn, how do I close the clutch shoe gap? Where to do I put the shim?

Last edited by rlouis12; 01-08-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: more infor
Old 01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rlouis12
Well recently i had my clutch professiona set, and it did not turn out to good.
my car would revive up to high rpms before the clutch would engage. I took to long and it seem like my engine would overheat because of it.

Now I install another engine. its the os .12tg. and its doing the same thing. I engine would get to high rpms before the clutch would engage. I loosen up the spring, and it still goes to a very high rpm. I feel that if I loosen the spring anymore, that it will come off.

Now as far as the clutch gap. I do not fully understand how to use that. I have the caliper to, a digital one, but I do not know how to use it properly. Should I try using a ruler instead.

Also does any other company sell shims that I can use on the clutch. Serpent are hard to could be in fort Lauderdale. So let me know if traxxas or mugen or hpi have the shims, or what size of dimension shims should I be looking for?

Next, if its not the load spring, whatelse you said could be worn? What is the the part number.

Now what the cluth does engage the car goes part fast. but its too fast because the engine has already revied up so high I can not control the car.

If my clutch shoes are worn, how do I close the clutch shoe gap? Where to do I put the shim?
The advice I can give you is to read articles that explain the terms and how to set up your centax clutch theres a few very good ones. Also theres a video on youtube with Michael Salven explaning how he sets up his clutch he's doing it on the 966 but still its a good video.
You can also try adding a shim behind the colet so that you don't need too many shims to set the gap and end play. Please read very carefully and take your time setting up your clutch the right way makes a HUGE difference.

Hope this helps