Wiki Posts
Search

New To R/C...Bad choices?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New To R/C...Bad choices?

Hello Everyone...

I am new to R/C cars and hopefully racing soon...I have raced motorcycles since 1996. I have my AMA Pro license and currently race an 03' Yamaha R6 in the Supersport class...Just got done @ Daytona...Best finish was a fifth in Midd. GP...Not too bad...

Want to try an additional sport...This looks cool and much cheaper (I think!)...For sure safer!

I am ready for the blasts...But here's what I bought...Let me know what you think for an entry-level car...

Futaba MAGNUM SPORT 2 Channel Radio Control System

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

7.2 V,3000 mAh powerful battery pack made of high quality matched NiMH 7 x Sc cells with solid welding with 14 gaugs silicone wire and standard Tamiya connector

Tamiya - Fantastic limited edition Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 kit. Features beautiful pre-painted and stickered body and a full set of quality Tamiya bearings. See picture of assembled car for a look at this great kit. Kit features easy to assemble TL-01 chassis with shaft driven 4WD, front and rear sealed gearboxes and one piece racing wheels with road tires. Kit is brand new and factory sealed. Requires radio, battery and charger (not included).

Thanks!

PS. Here's a pic of me on my other "toy"!

Old 03-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Not bad for first car. Nice Bike Though! Your going to have a Blast in R/c's. It will get Very competitive and Very Expensive
Old 03-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

If you have the money, get an more competive car, since you race, and maybe some better batteries than those, because it'll save you money in the long run, just make sure you take proper care of your batteries, motor, and car.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

But this whole hobby is ment to hav fun, meet other people, compete, etc. So have a blast in R/C racing dude. Where do u live at?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New Car already! lol...

I haven't even received it yet! lol...Hopefully this can get me started, learn some, etc...Still cheap for $200 total...I spend 1K per weekend on motorcycle racing!

I had an old Tamiya Sand Scorcher in the early 80's...It was a blast...Now I have my first child on the way...Wife is now panicking about the motorcycles...Want to see if I'll enjoy this...
Old 03-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

If u want an entry level car, try either any RTR from companies such as www.hpiracing.com , www.teamssociated.com , www.yokomousa.com , or http://www.tamiyausa.com/ . If your getting a good controller, try the Ko Propo Mars R. One of the best entry level or sport controller. If u need or want to ask anythin else, feel free to PM me. I'll help u.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Matt...

I already bought this stuff...It's coming this week...

Can these parts get me by for now?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by zracer196
Thanks Matt...

The Subaru Pic wasn't there dude, plus, wat brand was the car? Not the body but the car it elf dude. Well? The Magnum is good too, but idk about the battery packs. How about u try these batteries :http://fukuyamaracing.com/ or www.teamorion.com . Look in these websites for 3300maH batteries. I am TOTALLY sure that they hav very good and realiable batteries. Choose wisely
Old 03-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice bike! I'm getting my license this spring, can't wait! Now I just need some money for a bike. I'm leaning towards a Katana 600 but can you recommend a good bike?

Oh and if you're going to be racing RC, get a kit made for competition like an xray or a associated tc3, there's tons of parts and support available for the more popular cars which you may need since you're new to rc.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Rookie

The Katana is a good bike...But it is "shunned" by real sport bike riders! lol They are often called "Can O' Tunas"...

Try an earlier R6...A 99' model can be bought for around $4500. Also the Honda F4's were GREAT bikes...99' and newer...

Stay away from the Cans!

I did have one as my first bike though in 1990...That's a SECRET! lol

Thanks for the advice on the cars...

I am getting a Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 kit with ball bearings...TL-01 chassis with shaft driven 4WD, front and rear sealed gearboxes and one piece racing wheels with road tires...
Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Hmmmmm a Tamiya huh? How about tryin a Team Associated TC3? ALOT or people hav this car. Even i hav this car. It's realiable. Choose it RTR
Old 03-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

If you just want to see if you enjoy it, thats a great package you bought. I started with basically the same deal almost 3 years ago now and Ive loved it ever since. My cars and stuff have been upgraded to a quality race seup, but Im glad I didnt jump straight in, it would have been a big waste of money if I didnt like it.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Katana is a good bike...But it is "shunned" by real sport bike riders! lol They are often called "Can O' Tunas"...

Try an earlier R6...A 99' model can be bought for around $4500. Also the Honda F4's were GREAT bikes...99' and newer...

Stay away from the Cans!

I did have one as my first bike though in 1990...That's a SECRET! lol

Thanks for the advice on the cars...

I am getting a Tamiya Subaru Impreza WRC 2001 kit with ball bearings...TL-01 chassis with shaft driven 4WD, front and rear sealed gearboxes and one piece racing wheels with road tires...
Yah i want something a little more sporty than the katana but with comfort as i'm probably going to put a lot of highway miles on it. I'll look into the earlier R6s, i just hope i can handle one, i hear they're pretty twitchy. I figure at 27, i'm ready to start learning something that i haven't done but always wanted to do.

Nice choice for the car, tons of hopups for them and very popular.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Matt...

You'll have some fun with the Tamiya. It's probably going to be pretty slow, but with some money it will be very fast. Since you are into bikes and engines you should look in to nitro. Anybody with racing skills and engine basics will have the most fun with an 1/8-scale buggy. You'll see a lot of MX racers that got injured racing 1/8-scale off road.

A good idea to see what things are like and have changed since the 80's is to pick up a magazine or two. I can recommend one for you. Just click on my profile and check out the homepage. There's a few others to choose from, which is up to you.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mark, don't feel bad about buying a TL01 !! many will tell you it's garbage or uncompetitive. In some places or some races....that may be true. Most people who recommend more competition oriented cars don't know whats possible with a tl01. Either way...it's a great, easy to deal with start in the hobby.
I must agree that you should consider getting some good quality batteries as soon as you feel comfortable. There are a few good companies to look at. When you're ready, just place a question in this forum and you'll get a bunch of different recommendations !!
You've got some excellent places to race near you but if you ever want to get involved with a group that does some Tamiya class racing, just come on over to Melbourne and you can race with us !! www.mrcracers.com. BTW, check out the Tamiya website at www.tamiyausa.com. Go to the "articles" section and you'll find an excellent write-up on a totally hopped up TL01.
I'm one of a very few Tamiya geeks around here so if you need help with the tl, just e-mail or call. Good Luck
Dino

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.