Wiki Posts
Search

LRP SXX StockSpec ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The part about the v1 being upgradable is true. Sean Cochran flashed mine at IIC which gave it new software to deal with cogging, and made it able to take user updates in the future like a v2. I haven't tried it on the track yet, but I will (in my buggy) Tuesday. Zipping it around the basement with an LRP x12 13.5 didn't show any signs of cogging, a combination which was problematic in the past. We'll see how it goes on the track.
Cog is gone with problematic motors of past, good rip now. I think you'll like it now.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by davidl
We run on a 90 x 40 size carpet. Laptimes are in the 10 to 11 second range. I have approached this two different ways.

X-12 17.5 set with 4 dot timing shim. Speedcontrol set at 1,5,10,0. Rollout at 3.5 inches. Lost a few feet down the long straight. Laptimes with the fastest. Lost main by .2 seconds. Fast lap was almost full .2 seconds off the fastest. Did not fall off and gained 2 seconds on leader in last 3 laps.

X-12 17.5 set with 3 dot timing shim. Speedcontrol set at 1,5,6.0. Rollout at 3.5 inches. Set fastest lap in main and won. Lost a few feet down the long straight. Very good rip through the infield. Faded slightly in the last 3 minutes.

Overall impression is that higher rollouts are in the cards for either of these setups. Did not feel boost kick in for either. The 3 dot timing for the motor yielded strong performance in sweeper type corners. The first 50 feet of the straight was outstanding. Throttling was smooth and linear. Very race-able.

More later.

OK, here is another setup to consider:

X-12 17.5 set with 3 dot timing shim. Speedcontrol set at 1,5,7,0. Rollout at 3.5 inches. Still very good rip through infield. Did not fade at end of eight minute run. Ran the 3rd to final lap only .3 off fastest lap. Stayed with the best Tekin at our track all the way down the straight. I was able to determine in practice that the boost was kicking in almost immediately during acceleration from a corner. The acceleration was smooth all the way to top end. If anything, it seemed to be ferocious through the middle of the long straight. So, 3.6 rollout might be very good here. So that my description of smooth acceleration doesn't confuse anyone, I mean that there was no noticieable jump in acceleration as if the boost kicked in at some point in the middle of a straight run or like a gear shift. It got with the program off the corner and kept on going for 90 feet.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The mk4 (or whatever it's called) definitely takes care of the cogging problems. In a buggy, it looks and feels as fast as the mod cars when using my x12 13.5. Of course, the mod guys only run 9.5's, so it might be just as fast. I still have my doubts about whether or not it could hang with a Tekin in on-road, but on the dirt, it feels great.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just ran my SXX SS against a HW unit on a very large electric track over the weekend. I couldnt believe the difference between the two. The HW left the SXX SS in its dust with substantially more straight line speed.
The SXX SS might've had the HW on bottom end punch but top end was a non contest.
It seemed to be the additional "turbo" function of the HW that made the difference. Fingers crossed the SS V2 will help improve things.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lycan
I just ran my SXX SS against a HW unit on a very large electric track over the weekend. I couldnt believe the difference between the two. The HW left the SXX SS in its dust with substantially more straight line speed.
The SXX SS might've had the HW on bottom end punch but top end was a non contest.
It seemed to be the additional "turbo" function of the HW that made the difference. Fingers crossed the SS V2 will help improve things.
What settings did you run on the LRP, and what brand motor/timing?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Speed Passion V3 13.5 with 10deg timing advance
10 Boost, 3 Feel.
FDR 6.09

Tried FDR of 5.96 but that lacked infield punch.
Tried FDR of 6.2 and top speed difference was even worse.

This is on a track with a 60m straight.
It was night and day difference. Such a huge difference that I'm very tempted to sell my SXX and get a HW unit.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lycan
Speed Passion V3 13.5 with 10deg timing advance
10 Boost, 3 Feel.
FDR 6.09

Tried FDR of 5.96 but that lacked infield punch.
Tried FDR of 6.2 and top speed difference was even worse.

This is on a track with a 60m straight.
It was night and day difference. Such a huge difference that I'm very tempted to sell my SXX and get a HW unit.

I suggest you use feel level 5. It provides a linear throttle response. Using level 3 retards the ramp up of the speed control and should only be used with very powerful modified motors. The 13.5 is not that. Then I suggest you reduce the boost to 5, 6 or 7. Those settings will have enough torque to get your car moving early in the throttle so it can more easily reach respectable top speed.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

X-12 17.5 set with 3 dot timing shim. Speedcontrol set at 1,5,7,0. Rollout at 3.5 inches. Still very good rip through infield. Did not fade at end of eight minute run. Ran the 3rd to final lap only .3 off fastest lap. Stayed with the best Tekin at our track all the way down the straight. I was able to determine in practice that the boost was kicking in almost immediately during acceleration from a corner. The acceleration was smooth all the way to top end. If anything, it seemed to be ferocious through the middle of the long straight. So, 3.6 rollout might be very good here. So that my description of smooth acceleration doesn't confuse anyone, I mean that there was no noticieable jump in acceleration as if the boost kicked in at some point in the middle of a straight run or like a gear shift. It got with the program off the corner and kept on going for 90 feet.

Went back and tried the 3.6 inch rollout. That seems to be the ticket as I was able to reduce the fast lap by .4 seconds. That ends up .1 seconds faster than the best Tekin time.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Went back and tried the 3.6 inch rollout. That seems to be the ticket as I was able to reduce the fast lap by .4 seconds. That ends up .1 seconds faster than the best Tekin time.
Thanks for all the information! I will definitely try some of these set-ups this weekend?

I don't know if what was mentioned and I just missed it, but which MK of SXX SS is this with? And are you using the 1s or stock rotor?

Thanks again, I will let you know how I fare with these settings.

Mike Slaughter
Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by masterhit
Thanks for all the information! I will definitely try some of these set-ups this weekend?

I don't know if what was mentioned and I just missed it, but which MK of SXX SS is this with? And are you using the 1s or stock rotor?

Thanks again, I will let you know how I fare with these settings.

Mike Slaughter

Hi Mike. Where are you racing this weekend? I am using the original rotor which I think is 12.5mm. My speedo is software version 2 and the hardware is the original #1. That was the original request I am responding to.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hi Mike. Where are you racing this weekend? I am using the original rotor which I think is 12.5mm. My speedo is software version 2 and the hardware is the original #1. That was the original request I am responding to.
My local track is Rapid Competition in Grand Rapids MI.

Our 1/12th A mains are brutal here as they contain past Worlds finalists, multi-national champions, and multiple year Cleveland winners (including last years winner). Every little tenth counts in spades here!

I have tried being competitive with the SXX SS on multiple occasions, but always ended up putting the Black Diamond V2/Duo 1 combo back in by the end of the day. I instantly get back 2-4 tenths. Straight speed is good with the LRP, I just haven't been able to get the rip out of the corners.

I did try a higher roll-out in practice Wednesday and it felt better. I will leave it in and try a few more changes for the first few rounds including your latest set-up. I also have the 1s rotor to try as well.

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 AM
Tech Regular

I suggest you use feel level 5. It provides a linear throttle response. Using level 3 retards the ramp up of the speed control and should only be used with very powerful modified motors. The 13.5 is not that. Then I suggest you reduce the boost to 5, 6 or 7. Those settings will have enough torque to get your car moving early in the throttle so it can more easily reach respectable top speed.
In the manual 5 is listed as progressive.
Track didnt have a massive amount of traction.
I tried 5,6,7,8 and 9 and the esc was so slow it was a joke.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

^ May I suggest you drive faster
Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

hey guys i have a v2 tc spec,i now run stock class so im asking is there a huge performance increase to switching to a stock spec?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Development continues. I ran another setup that seems better than the last. X-12 17.5t with the 2 dot timing. Rollout at 3.3 and the speedo set at 1.5.7.0. The temp at the end of 8 minutes was 125 degrees F. Did a little better at the end of the straight. Also, was very fast accelerating from medium corners. Tight corners were normal compared to the other setups I tried. TQ'd and then chased down the fastest Tekin in the main, then went on to win. The layout was setup for the Tekin to prevail because it was 3 quaters oval with an infield. A technical track would require rollout around 3.1, my opinion. Battery useage was 2250 mah. Note: this is v2 software in the SXX Stock Spec speed control. This is to satisfy the original question about a month ago. But is shows that this speed control can be used competitively in single cell 1/12 scale onroad racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.