mugen or hot bodies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mugen or hot bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i might have to try the associated. Someone offered me a good deal on one.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

well if you have made your decision..good luck. but we ran mugen for a while and loved it, then tried Xray and we liked it more.. the thing i know for sure about the Mugen and Xray is they are built like tanks. I always got extra parts and never used them. i will say this though, my son loves to drive the 808 he said it is the funnest, and easiest to drive.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default So true

It's nice to just freakin drive and clean a buggy and not buy two rides to keep one working....
Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I have read most of this and all I can say is
that we all are different. man I had rc8b and rc8t
I just got a losi truggy and found that I love it
for most all the reasons given for going to AE
I'm getting the buggy asap for me I found that
the losi truggy was easier to drive faster and still
be smooth than the AE. when I was smooth I was
off the pace. in my last race I was like 20sec faster
with the losi then the AE no joke
Old 01-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Adept

When I first got into this I done alot of looking around and I found that mugen to be the better one for the fact that like somesaid earlier it is built like a tank and building it I felt confident that it was going to hold up to it rep for being a very strong kit Im new to this and in my oppinion if your going to do someting then do it right the first time Altough I would like to go with the x-ray as a next build. Back to the question at hand I have hit a fence post a 4x4 with my mugen a lil scratch nothing bent and I was well supprised my servo had striped its gear so I had no brake I was doing low speed but still the fact of putting it to a sudden stop and not breaking a piece that has to say something right there for the build and make of the buggy.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No throtle return spring?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dreaux
No throtle return spring?
Thats what I was trying to adjust out and didnt realise that the servo gear was stripped so everytime I had adjusted something it made it that much worse. Finaly once that had happed I knew it had to be the servo. Witch that was my fault completley didnt adjust the EPA.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I say go with RC8B..You drove mine and look pretty fast too..
Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try them both if you can, we all have diferent driving stiles, also someones setup could be completly wrong for you, take it all and add a grain of salt.
I Love Mugen, had Athlete, Super Athetle, MBX5, 5Prospec, 5R and MBX6, I could not drive the MBX6, got a Losi 2.0 and was faster right away, but I did not like the maintenance on the Losi, that's why now I have Kyosho the MP9 is somewere in between tne MBX6 and the Losi 2.0, now the losi 2.0t is just not right, it's like your cheating, this truck is 90% dialed out of the box.
Before you ask, Yes I am running all Kyosho, easier to keep track of parts and tools, and yes I was faster with the 2.0t than with the ST-RR, but not to the buggy extreme.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by halfman
I have a mugen mbx6 right now and was wondering about the d8. I am a fairly decent driver and was wanting to try something else. If not the d8 maybe an associated rc8b. I would just like your opinion thanks.
I had the RC8 & the D8 when I got the MBX6. Now I have 2 MBX6's & 1 MBX6T. The RC8 & D8 don't even campair to the Mugen.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by awdcameolsx
The D8 takes getting used to when switching from the mugen to the hot bodies but after a little bit you'll start to like it.

-Both are very reliable, but you gota keep an eye on the D8 cvd's
-The D8 is easier to drive, and after about 30 min practice I was already putting up slightly faster run times.
-Price factor the D8 is easier on the wallet.
-The diff fluid seems to last a bit longer on the D8, but overall maint. is easier with the mugen.
-The mugen's life span is longer, but by how much I don't know. I would say after about 3 gallons on the mugen it shows about as much wear as the hot bodies with 2 gallons.

Overall it comes down to driving style. If you like to drift the mugen tops that catagory. If your a "slower is faster" kinda guy the D8 is probably faster. I just made the switch from mugen to the D8, fits my driving style better. Sorry I got no experience with the associated.
Josh is positively NOT a "slower is faster" guy. He's all in.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Josh is positively NOT a "slower is faster" guy. He's all in.
That's no lie Brad!!!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

All cars will have inherent traits based on their overall layouts. Some are more versatile than others being limited by the neutrality of their respective starting points and the quantity of adjustments built into the car. That having been said, the Mugen is an extremely versatile and durable car. A very wide range of adjustments can be made to the car to tailor it near perfection to just about any track condition and driving style. It particularly excels on rough tracks and has excellent jumping skills. I drive Mugen. Most people would find my car twitchy, but I have driven other people's MBX6's that wouldn't turn in a 40 acre field. Those same people have driven my car, turned in 3' to early, hit the pipe, and wondered how I got that much steering out of it. It's all setup. The Mugen can be as aggressive or forgiving as you like.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

As far as Mugen or Hotbodies, I have been driving the D8 for just over a year now and I really like the car.(hate the drive shafts) I like the ease of maintenance , setting up the car is very easy, and I feel that it is just an easy car to drive, very forgiving. My buddy that I race a lot with had a D8 for a while but got rid of it and got the MBX 6 ,I drive with a left handed radio so when I drove his car I could not get a good feel for it. When we had a chance a couple weeks ago we swapped out the modules in our radios and I drove his car, I thought it felt very good. It was more nimble and lighter feeling than the D8 but I thought the D8 had a little more steering but he was running heavier diffs than I was. He also said that I ran my fastest laps with his car. Right now if I had to change rides tomorrow I think it would be a Mugen. IMO The biggest difference between the cars is price and maintenance. Hotbodies has a little more maint. but you can't beat the price.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by awdcameolsx
+1

Losi is twitchy and I find annoying to drive.
D8 is stable and you know what line it is going to take.

i run a losi eight 1.0 b to me it, is somewhat twitchy , but i use the mike thute setup and its not to bad, with the right tires. as long as you keep it at 3degree toe in on the rear, its stable not the best but good enough.

i be honest with you i seem to get better, lap times driving the eight 1.0 b slower and smoother. i tried to drive it harder in the, corners but seems to just lose lap times doing that.

hows that orion serovo holding, up for you in your truggy?